Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Doll cloths and I was 4 when my Mom showed me how ttosew by hand.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM

I was aout 7 yrs old and just NEEDED something to keep my hands busy. My Aunt bought me the Work Basket mag for years and lots of pre printed embroidery pcs that I loved. I learned to knit in 3rd grade from a little friend. I used 2 sharpened pencils for knitting needles. I made toys, aprons doll clothes ,all embroidered , knitted and sewed by hand. My husband taaught me my crochet stitches; his mom taught me to put them together in a pattern. I made my first several quilted things on my hands and then I got bold and finally learned to use a sewing machine. My hubby bought me my first 3 Singers and I wore them out. Then he bought me my first Janome , then 2 more and i am happpiest when I am creating something for someone I love. I make most of what I wear and house hold stufff;curtains, drapes ,quilts , tablecloths, and lots of toys for my grandbabies. I guess i love quilting best of all.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 PM

I was 5 when I climbed up on top of a couple of telephone books, and pressed the foot peddle (also set on top of stacked books)and sewed up the hems of dish towels for my mom. I did embroidery, and eventually got pretty good at it...tried crochet and never did get it! My mom and older sisters sewed...all our school clothes, fancy dresses, then bridesmaids dresses and wedding gowns. I, like others here, went to Singer Sewing Center classes, and made a suit...green polyester double knit, yuck! Then, I took Home-Ec, and almost failed, because I was a smart-mouthed kid who didn't want to relearn how to sew straight lines! Oooppps, really made the teacher mad! Went to work after high school, and didn't sew for several years. I discovered quilting because it reminds me of doing jigsaw puzzles, which I enjoy! I don't sew clothing for myself, because I'm too hard to fit (figure flaws), but I get so much satisfaction out of quilting!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 PM

fabric-holic, I was in 4-h as a young girl and took Home Ec in 9th grade. I don't remember the first thing I made, but I made a blue brocade gown for my prom dress and a sleeveless A line dress for graduation. I wished I had kept the brocade dress...even though it wouldn't fit me now. Eiltcoq.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

A long skirt when I was in 6th or 7th grade. turned out lousy!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 PM

All these replys bring back memories.
I graduated four years ahead of next sister.
Her senior year she needed a gown for choral thing
We went to Penneys and bought would you believe,(1964)
blue satin fabric and white dotted swiss(organdy)
Used a pattern that looked like a sundress
Bought narrow piping and used it at waist to set it off.
No money to work with so we didn't buy interfacing or anything that we would not dream of doing without in garments now. Skirt was pleated a little and not real full.
Just a straight stitch sew machine at the time. Nothing much to work with to keep seams from raveling. Think might have made french seams. Sister got more compliments on her gown than a girl whose family could afford brocade which was the thing at the time.
Seems to me we spent a total of seven dollars. Dad was a farmer and money was tight. I didn't work as there were still younguns to take care of. Later we cut the gown off so she could wear it to church. Got our moneys worth out of it. She sure looked pretty for a little country girl.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM

7th grade made my first clothing that I actually wore. Was a wrap around skirt (reversible) and top to go with it. Next was a cotton shift! I guess that dates me too! lol
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM

I had to reply to you. Your story was hilarious. You gave me a good laugh. I was in 7th grade when I started sewing and I remember making a dish towel and hemming it by hand. After that I made a two piece suit that I thought I looked "HOT" in. Then I made a dress when I was 12 (8th grade) that had a yoke on the front and back and and I remember my sister-in-law (who was pregnant at the time) coming home on a visit and wearing that dress. I am currently trying to finish a quilt that I had started for my mother last year (it is on the back burner for now because of the yard work) and I have 4 granddaughters who I enjoy sewing for.
Originally Posted by bizybess
I was about six when I started to sew. I don't remember what project I was working on but I sure remember sewing through my finger with my mother's treadle machine. There I sat with the needle all the way in my finger and Mama had to come and get me loose. This was right after the bandages came off from me poking the same finger into the fan of the motor of Mama's electric butter churn. I can still remember looking down into that motor and thinking "Wonder what is in that hole." It's so odd that I used my left index finger both times and I am right handed. I have a deformed nail to this day.
At about eight I made a little nine patch quilt for my doll. Sure wish I still had it!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM

in home Ec. class. seems like the first thing we did was to make a tea towel with fringed edgeing. Must have been 7th grade.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Gee all these bring back old memories. For me I was in 4th grade, age 10. Our babysitter was also the 4-H sewing instructor. I made a tea towel and an apron. The babysitter made me tear out stitches until I was sick and tired of the towel and her. But I sewed all through high school and made a 3-piece wool suit my senior year. Got Grand Champion on it for sewing and in the style review too. Got to go to the State Fair and model the suit there. My mom went as my sponsor and she let me eat a hamburger for breakfast while at the fair. Well I needed 5 hours of college credit the next year so I took Clothing Construction and made another suit easily. Also go 5 hours of A. Seems like clothing construction was alot easier then than quilting now. But I prefer the quilting.