Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 PM

sorry to hear of your dissapointment i would of walked out that night and asked for a refund
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by woodchkr
Acouple of weeks ago I joined this quilting board. Many of you welcomed me and I really appreciate the many welcomes that you all gave.

At that time I also mentioned that I was a beginner quilter and was taking a class at my local Hancock store. Well I had my class yesterday and it was very disappointing. We were handed instructions for a table runner project, and told to ask for help if we needed it. Some class.....NOT!!! It was not a quilting class, more of a craft project to pay for something that could have been done on our own.

The caution I give all - ask more questions about content when you see an offer for a beginning quilting class and what you are actually supposed to learn and the content.

I am seriously considering asking for my money back. Oh and by the way - this was a SMALL room, probably 12 x 20 with 6 women, 3 tables, 2 people per table, CROWDED , we were elbow to elbow, tripping over one another and the store owner was also using it as a storage room which there were boxes stacked along 3 of the walls.

Needless to say - it was the pits and I learned nothing!! Uh yeah just wasted $35.00 for nothing on a project I could have probably done at home by following printed instructions.

For the beginners out there such as myself - insure you ask detailed questions about the content of a class so you don't waste your money and time. :(
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. As a former quilt teacher myself, it irritates me that this is how a beginner is exposed to MY craft! I love working with newbies because they are so interested and truly want to learn what I have to teach.

Many people here have made good suggestions to go to your LQS and check out their class schedule. Sometimes that is just not feasible. The classes may not be affordable to you, they may be geared to someone more experienced, etc., etc., etc. And sometimes you have no LQS nearby to attend. Another solution? Check out your local Community Ed program. That's where I taught for a while (and also @ LQS), and I had the nicest students! A bonus is that many times the cost is incredibly reasonable, and there may be a sample in the Comm. Ed. office so you can see exactly what you should come away with for the money you spend.

Please don't give up on quilting. It can be a terrific outlet for your frustrations and artsy side. And there are those of us who, when confronted with sadness, depression and despair, just spend time with our fabric stash and our moods are perked up without medication. A win-win-win in my book!

Welcome to the club!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I thought about taking classes at one of these stores, but thankfully there is a wonderful lady who teaches classes at out library for free. I've already taken one class and was really pleased with what I learned. I'm starting my second one in Sept. and can't wait to get at it.
not only that she is starting a sewing, quilting club there twice a month next month. Talking about giving back to your community, Carol is certainly doing just that I want to thank her publicly. By the way, I live in a small Ky. town.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Sorry that your clss was not good. I have not taken any classes but I want to. What I have learned has been thru reading, youtube, trying or asking my sister. One thing for sure I have learned more then 35.00 worth in this group. Thank you all for pictures, tuturials and wonderful ideas. I just hope one day I don't get charged for what I have learned here. God Bless Y'all.

P.S. I'm always bragging about this group
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

AGREE WITH YOU. ASK FOR A REFUND THAT IS ACCEPTABLE WITH YOU.

HELEN
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Annya, I wish you lived closer to me!
I have had a less than positive experience with my first set of lessons - lots of very experienced quilters who the instructor helped - while I muddled along. I also learnt somethings about myself: I am still the girl who mucks up if she is treated badly by a teacher, and gets cheeky when she is bored, I am still unwilling to confront people in front of others, and the teacher made damn sure she was never alone with me, I am really bad at asking for help. I am addressing these issues in my next quilting class - I will make sure it is a true beginners class, and it is in a well lit place.
An expensive set of lessons, but one I will come to value, and it is still cheaper than therapy.
Don't let this put you off quilting.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

I'm so sorry you had a bad first class. I hope this doesn't cause you to stop trying a different class, I agree about the LQS they often have great classes. You can also see if there is a local quilt guild or maybe a group of ladys at a senior center that get together to sew that you can join. I have learned a lot by trial and error with my quilting buddy we get together once a week and often will make a new project together or sew our own creation but with eachother. I wish you luck and DO ask for a refund, you deserve it!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

I quilt with a few ladies every week. We have alot of fun and quilt and chat for a few hours. One of our group had to go to work and we have an empty chair at our big table. Too bad you don't live in my area we sure would love a new quilter .

Our Hancocks used to be great. But lately it doesn't have the fabrics etc . It has downsizes with staff and it shows. I go there only when I have to . I have other quilt shops and and another store I can go to when I need supplies.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Rainy Day: Are you a member of the Victorian Quilters. try and find some one who is willing to teach you one- on -one. If you look them up either in the phone book or on line, there must be some one who is willing to help you and will be patient with you while you learn. Yes Queensland is a long way from Melbourne and neither of us can just visit the other when ever we need to. I know my quilt group have friends who will help you no matter how slow you go, like this quilt I am doing--nothing is working like the pattern says so I will finish it the best I can( I don't want any more UFO's) try and find out what you can,I would like to know how you go.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 PM

I have a couple of friends who are quilters, but they are not teachers, if that makes sense. I will try the local guild here, and if that doesn't work, I will just fumble along. The lessons here are great, but I can't ask the person questions. I am a slow learner at this, at it seems as tho my husband and son conspire to be sick on my days off so I can't focus on my quilting.
Thanks Annya