Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by weezie
On the BOM topics, above this thread, is "A Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt - A Long Forum".
it is A Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Along Forum

not Quilt ... A Long Forum

my goof. i wasn't paying attention when i composed the section title. i'm off to fix that right now.

:lol:
That's pretty dang funny; it never dawned on me that the 2 words should have been 1 word; I just thought it was a long forum??!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM

I am thinking of making 2 quilts! I really think it would be much harder to do 4 blocks a week instead of 2.

What do you guys think? I'm currently working at home, so I have more time than normal, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It's just the quilting that may be a little much. BUT, I will probably be sending them to the longarm quilter anyway.

Hmmm...what to do....what to do.....
Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I am thinking of making 2 quilts! I really think it would be much harder to do 4 blocks a week instead of 2.

What do you guys think? ..
Hi stefanib123 - I have been making a "practice block" prior to using my good material. I have been using left over scraps for them. Surprisingly, they look rather good so I decided I will have a true scrappy quilt and then my good one using KT Moda fabrics. I have made the first four blocks and things are going well so far. So, I say - go for it. Make two while you are at it! Best wishes, Judi
Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 PM

I am making 2 of each also, started out doing the same colors but then decided to make them different colors so when putting it together would have more of a choice, 2nd one goes faster, so go for it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM

What do you think of doing this quilt using Moda's pastel florals? I can't think of the line's name right now. Several of them can be interchangeable. It would be easy enough to do the extra block as we go along. I think I will try one just to see how it turns out.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 AM

If you will go to the page. TFWS Quilt A Long Forum and scroll all the way to the bottom you will see a link for blocks 1 and 2 for rotary instructions and also a link for templates.
Each week a new instruction page with that weeks blocks will be added.
If you have not already purchased a copy of The Farmers Wife Quilt Sampler you either need to purchase the book or if you prefer and you have one of the EQ programs there is a FWS c.d. that works with this program.
Muriel
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 AM

I am amazed at you all making 2 quilts. For me it would be a life time. I take so much time choosing the fabrics for each block I can only imagine if I started trying to make 2 of them how long it would take. I might make a sample block of some of them that seem especially difficult or something then put those in a small wall hanging when done, but 2 queen size. I Don't Think So....
Muriel
Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 AM

If I used a charm packs to make my squares would I need duplicates to get all the pieces for any block? not sure if this sounds right?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 AM

A question for those of you who have already worked on the basket. Did you cut the basket handle on the bias?
I might go ahead and work on these next 2 being I'll be home some today, but leave the handle til open discussions next week.
Muriel
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Star, about charm packs, I had one and it doesn't seem to me there is enough fabric in them for most blocks, they do use little pieces but lots of them, might work for some but not the norm that I can figure. and I really like the variety and colors that come together, so was disappointed. so I would say yes you do need some duplicates