Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay that much? >

Would you pay that much?

Would you pay that much?

Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_1664...ce=most_viewed

If you click on this story and read through to the 2nd store owner, she talks about regionally inspired fabrics. She's charging $60 a yard, and almost $17 for a fat quarter...would you pay this amount for fabric???

I know I wouldn't...
Now we know where all the money in America is, Massachusetts! Unbelievable that quilter's in America can afford that. It is not home dec, it is DESIGNER fabric for quilter's, as opposed to FINE fabric for quilter's which you get at a LQS.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Is it worth it to me - - Not - - - but seriously, visit the site and see the beauty. I like the Grass Fabric Butterfly Chair Cover. It is not in my budget and I have yet to master quilting with cotton, let alone trying to quilting with upholstery fabric - For artisans and extremely crafty and well to do.....
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Is she nuts or are the customers nuts? No way would I pay that!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM

I don't see how anyone can use it for quilting- it sounds really heavy and besides that, it is made out of plastic!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I would not buy her fabric. I have a friend that buys what ever she like and wants and doesn't even look at price. Even if I had that kind of money, I'm too "cheap" and it isn't logical to me. As a nurse, I used to equate how long I had to stand on my feet per hour to buy something: for example; a $100 dress, 4 hours, etc. It made me think twice about what I wanted and how much I wanted it and the hours it took me to pay for it.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM

I've read so many posts on this site from ladies and gents saying what wonderful, helpful people they've met here, but I must say this thread has exposed all sorts of prejudices, and the snarky comments are uncalled for and very unbecoming, people.
I am always amazed that anyone would pay millions of dollars for paintings and other art objects, but some can and do. There are also people who will pay premium prices for handcrafted items and various services which they are perfectly capable of performing themselves. Many of us using this site prefer good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity and do-it-yourself when possible, and revel in the thrill of the hunt for a bargain.
But, not everyone makes quilts from all cotton fabrics. Of necessity, women made utilitarian quilts in the past with what ever fabric they could get their hands on. The most stunning crazy quilts incorporate silk, velvet, wool, ribbons, and various other unconventional fabrics, threads, and found objects. Art quilts, which are not much in evidence on this site, incorporate everything from hand dyed or painted fabric to dryer lint to feathers to nylon net as well as the previous fabrics. Why would we want to limit the availability of unconventional fabric for our craft?
North Adams, Massachusetts was a blue collar community dying a slow death from the loss of its manufacturing job base that has reinvented itself as a worthwhile destination based on the natural beauty of its location and the re-use of its empty mills to attract artists of all stripes and to establish the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, better known as Mass MoCA. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my taste in art on others. So, while I will not be standing in line to buy that expensive fabric for quilting, decorating, or upholstering, I am glad that it is available for anyone who desires it. Every local business venture that succeeds pumps energy and dollars into growing the local economy, and hopefully that success will expand outward like ripples on a pond.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I think what we have to realize is that different people value different things. Some people would never spend what we do for sewing machines and other sewing/quilting supplies whereas others make great sacrifices for what they want. Many of us would not spend that much on fabric because our circumstances will not allow, but we might if we valued it greatly and our circumstances did allow. It is all relative and very individual. My intention is to allow without being judgemental...hmmm...hope I can accomplish that.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM

I don't even pay that much for a pair of shoes!! nope, no way.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM

wow there is no way i would or could spend that kind of money on material
Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Based on the info on her website, maybe part of the reason it is so expensive is because it is woven in this country. I'm sure it would be cheaper if it was made in China, but I think we've lost enough jobs to the East already.

If she can sell it, and it creates jobs here, we should applaud the woman, not put her & her products down.

To each his own-I doubt I would ever pay that much, but if someone else can and it creates jobs here, that's a good thing.