Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
No side effects at all. 3 mg 30 minutes before bed works well. If that doesn't do it, add valerian, but be forewarned it smells terrible.
I have to say this be very careful when it comes to melatonin but when it comes to Valerian Root take extreme caution. I used this and in less than three days later stopped because I had forgotten to take it the second night and I had actual withdrawals.I will never use that again .There is although a more user friendly herb you can take and that is passion flower. I make my own capsules and take two about a hour before I am ready for bed and I sleep like a baby all night long.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Yes, I did use it for several years. Worked well for me then, bam, it stopped working, so took 2 and that helped for a long time, then stopped working. Then went to one of the PM's, which worked a couple years, then same story, layed awake again. Finally told my DR, he prescribed amatriptyline, 25mg. Works like a dream. You are not groggy the next day and feel very refreshed in the morning. It is a mild sedative, cheap, and is not harnful to you. It relaxes you and you are able to shut down at the end of the day and sleep restfully. Have used it for years and still working great. Ask your Dr about it. It is no fun not getting a decent nites sleep.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
I have tried it and it gives me dreams, too many. Valerian is a (herbal)drug, so don't want that. What helps me is taking a hot shower or bath, just before bed. Stay away from coffee and chocolate at night or eating late at night.
IdahoSandy
That is almost what I do, I'll fix a pitcher of Long island Teas or Brandy Alexanders and hop in the hot tub to relax before bedtime. It is even more relaxing in the fall <sigh>

Billy
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
No side effects at all. 3 mg 30 minutes before bed works well. If that doesn't do it, add valerian, but be forewarned it smells terrible.
I use 10 mg, 30 minutes before bed. (I am a long term insomniac) I sleep like a baby, and don't wake up cranky or with 'medicine brain". I tried the prescription ones and hated the 'dry cruddy mouth' every morning. Best advice I received this year so far.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Very Interesting ! Thank you !
Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM

I use Spring Valley, 1mg gets me sleepy in 20 minutes. It always works for me. No morning after problems. Give them a try.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by tutty
I'm ready to give this a go. I Never get a full nights sleep . Last night ,rather , morning I finally fell asleep 4:30 ish am !!!! Curious to know if anyone has tried melatonin and if they were able to sleep better and or any side effects I should be aware of !! Thank you, you are always sooooo helpful.
I take 5 mg about 30 min before bed time. Most of the time it works for me. I have heard though that to get the best effect you should not take it a couple of times a week.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Works fine with no side-effects.It is even safe for children. I have used it, as have my daughter and grandson.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM

I use melatonen when I don't have pain keeping me awake. As long as I don't have caffene after 4pm and read a chapter I get sleepy and can turn out the light and sleep. I also need it totaly dark I even put dark fabric over the alarm clock and window. ;)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Why do you think we are having all these problem with trying to sleep I take Melatonia and 2tynol pm every nite i sleep but I a still tried.