Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Getting ready for no power! >
  • Getting ready for no power!

• Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM

I live in Atlantic County, NJ. I work for an Orthopeadic office. We closed at 130pm today & the local medical center canceled elective surgeries today (Friday) as well as Monday.

At home Igot the candles & h2o ready. Atlantic electric called & said to expect 3-5 days outage.

OMG me & the DH without a sewing machine. I will be insane!
    Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by loreen
    I live in Atlantic County, NJ. I work for an Orthopeadic office. We closed at 130pm today & the local medical center canceled elective surgeries today (Friday) as well as Monday.

At home Igot the candles & h2o ready. Atlantic electric called & said to expect 3-5 days outage.

OMG me & the DH without a sewing machine. I will be insane!
    try hand quilting or hand piecing! Make a set of placemats so they'll get finished! or a small wallhanging. or you could do a lap quilt together, but use bigger peices, lots better when you see things happening! My GFG is ready to go!
    Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM

I went to the library and grocery store this morning. I got bottled water and some lunch meats and canned goods. All the Chef Boyrdee spagetti was gone. lol
    Mother Nature is mad and no one is listening to her for sure. Just keep building, bulldozing trees under and dumping poisons in the earth air and water.And then say everything is fine. Too bad all the ones who work hard to respect the earth have to suffer along with the ones that don't .
    But you can't say this past week has been boring .
    I think we are pretty well set up here hopefully. We live a bit away from the beach so I am hoping the distance will help. Maybe not with the winds but at least we shouldn't get storm surge.
    I guess be as prepared as one can, don't panic, and deal with the aftermath the best you can is the only thing a person can do. Funny I won't miss any thing really except the air condtioner. Menopause ya know. :-)
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Other than the earthquake, we had a hit of lightning the evening before the quake......it was not a direct hit but we couldn't enter the garage, whatever it hit,

the remotes went, (next day service to get them repaired $$$)

also the outside motion lights blew, new ones there also

only one circuit indoors went, no problem there......

but then we realized that it did something to our FIOS.. leaving us without phone, TV or computers.......
    they arrived Thursday and changed the outside box and all is going again.

They told us that the lightning did not hit the box direct either...but wherever it hit, it took my FIOS out with it.......

We are whole again for now.......but son just called and said that the radio said that we are to be evacuated..but we have not gotten any call..and it is absolutely beautiful outside..

FOR NOW !!!!!!!!
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
    Google Goddess

fill up the washer machine with water and water in the tub so you can flush your toilets

could also take buckets and go outside to get water to flush the toilets

Originally Posted by gal288
    We have a generator that automatically kicks on. Living in the Western part of NJ, we loose power alot due to snow and ice. I have a set if cast iron pans we use on the grill to cook, keep bottled water on hand, & a hand can opener to open those beans!

The biggest problem is running the well, for toilet purposes!
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Our well actually got a direct lightning hit yesterday, and had to be replaced. We were without water for the entire day, and got it back around 8 last night. When it hit it sounded like a big piece of furniture fell down and it shook the house. Really scary! But, we survived and got a taste of what it's like without water for a day. It ain't fun! At least we had power. :) Now we're just preparing for high winds & some flooding, which should't be an issue because we're on a hill but need to watch the pool doesn't overflow & collapse. Of course, never thought a tornado would hit right next to our house, either, but one did this summer.
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
    Google Goddess

Everyone be safe
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM

I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
    I pray that everyone shall be safe. We were without power doe 5 days the first week in June because of straight line winds. Hope I never have to live thru another storm like that.
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

You all be safe. Prayers are sent your way.
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
    I pray that everyone shall be safe. We were without power for 5 days the first week in June because of straight line winds. Hope I never have to live thru another storm like that.