Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 6/24 >
  • Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 6/24

• Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 6/24

Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM

This was a great idea even if I way underperformed in reaching the goals I set for today. I had to make a memory block and it took all darn day. You name it- it went wrong. lol But it's done now and maybe I can get a few of my HSTs for another quilt in process done before I give up for the day.

It has been great reading about what everyone is doing and following the progress made. This virtual retreat motivated me to get back to quilting, so I am a happy camper today.
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I'm joining! I'm working on a chemo quilt for a friend.

Yesterday I drew and cut the applique of a life sized woman standing in a sexy pose - black fabric. I had an oops when I was peeling the steam-a-seam to adhere to the fabric. Near the bottom the web separated and stayed with the paper instead of adhering to my fabric. I think I'll be Ok though as only a small 1" long by perhaps 1/4" wide area of the inside of one of her calves didn't adhere - the rest of the problem was confined to the area in-between her legs down to her feet. Whew!!!

BTW - this is the first time I'm doing applique. Typical for me, I jump right in to the deep end and do an applique that is over 5' tall!!

Today I'll be sewing it with clear poly thread to the quilt top. The quilt top is a blue/white/yellow 2" strips laid horizontally (like a Jelly Roll Race).

Next step will be to cut out the words and applique those as well. I may have to run out for more steam-a-seam.

No borders so when that is done, just quilt and bind.
    Love your full size lady. Can't wait to see the quilt done with words. What a great idea. I love appliqueing because when you decide you want something on your quilt, BAM you cut it out and sew it on. Sew cool. Be sure to post pictures when finished.
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM

I spent all afternoon on a mug rug and finally ended up with one I think I can send. I got that one and one I had done previously quilted today. Now to bind them. Will try to post pics.
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    This was a great idea even if I way underperformed in reaching the goals I set for today. This virtual retreat motivated me to get back to quilting, so I am a happy camper today.
    I always under perform so I have been better at setting my bar a little lower!! But I don't get around to quilting as often as I would like, so I like our virtual quilt days as they give me at least one day where I don't feel guilty quilting all day!!

Rachel
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mama Llama
    I'm up, walked the dogs, doing the morning necessities. Took pic of sewing area, it's not as crowded as it appears but it does have threads and snippets all over the floor. :-) My goal is to finish the Color Pools table runner I started last Saturday. If I get this down pat, I can make 3 more for sister presents before summer family vacation. But from different fabrics, of course. Gotta work through the stash.
    Love your table runner. Is it quilt as you go?
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Since it is 9:30 PM here I just wanted to pop in and give everyone a date for our next Virtual Quilt Day. I am looking at July 15. Someone just remind me if I forget to do a reminder post that week, I can get pretty forgetful sometimes!!

If you are still sewing today, please keep the updates coming and if you finish any projects you started with us here, share a finished pic, we'd love to see it!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM

I finished 6 of the 10 head blocks for my Silhouettes quilt. It all took longer than I anticipated--cutting out the fused black heads seemed to take forever. Hopefully I'll be able to get one done each day before I have to work. Sooo, next Sat. I'll be able to start on the sashing. Even though I didn't get them all done, I still made good progress, so I'm happy.

I needed Virtual Quilt Day so I didn't feel guilty not doing something that needed to be done.

Gonna read the Sun. paper & then to bed. I'm tired.

Keep on posting all your projects. We love seeing them.
    Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Grandson's quilt top ready to sandwich tomorrow and then hand quilt~~ Have made a lot of progress on 6 quilted purses I am making..Now sitting watching the weather..We are unter severe thunderstorm warning and tornado warnngs..Better not blow away my house and ruin all the work I did today!! Of course living in a trailer makes me a tornado and UFO magnet LOL....Willl be sitting and cutting the battting for the final purse parts I will work on tomorrow..That is if Tropical Storm Debby allows me to get anything done!!
    Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM

A little late, and no photo, but I got the quilt bound! My first continuous binding with-ta da!- mitered corners! Great day!
    Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM

I didn't get as much done today as I hoped. In fact, I only worked on one project (rather than the 3 in my original post). But that's for a few reasons: made jam; took my kids to a movie; and decided to hand-stitch the binding on the placemats, rather than starting a new project. 3 mats done, one to go plus the runner.

I really want to finish the last 2 pieces, but I can barely keep my eyes open right now, so probably best to put it aside and avoid messing something up because I'm overtired. Back to work tomorrow, so it may be a few days before this project is completely done.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]344479[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails p6240120_small.jpg