Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 PM

I think she ranks among the people that keep the quilts put up so that they won't get soiled or whatever instead of using them.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM

I think I would of told that rude lady that "my" table topper was going to be a scratch and sniff table topper!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM

I bet her sofas are covered in plastic. Lol!! That is so funny.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
O.K. I have this grande damme all figured out. She has plastic on the furniture, she never use the china or the silver, her silk undies are being saved for something that hasn't happened and probably won't. She uses old towels and old sheets because the good ones might show wear, and if she has a quilt she probably won't use it either. Just too sad to go through life saving everything for someday, and hilarious that she would try to foist her weirdo ideas off on you!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Never had anyone tell me that. How rude!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM

I guess I use my table topper as a decoration - no food spots please. When the dishes come out I wisk away the topper and put down placemats!! Each to their own I guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Sounds like the people that I know, who don't think it is 'tacky' to still have the lounge (sofa) covered in plastic when people sit on it!
The OCD types need to buy plastic tablecloths and not bother about the real thing. If it is yours, you should use it. I think there is no point in buying something and then keeping it for use only if visitors come. The same goes for anything you make - the relatives may not even like it and chuck it away when you're gone, so enjoy it now.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM

what is even worse is when the quilt police are also the coffee police...I just can't win
Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by clair
does'nt that just get you . I have a friend,she has a long arm business and when anyone brings her a quilt the first thing she does is look for the scant qt inch. I won't take her any more of my quilts to quilt cause it really ticks me . All i want to do is scream "hey who made you seam allowance queen " my I feel better -ha
Those are the same people who ask stupid questions like; "How can you wear your hair like that all the time?" Yes, I have been asked that question... I have long hair, but it is baby fine and tickles something awful, so I wear it in a loose bun most of the time. Some people's parents never took them to see Bambi, evidently. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all!"
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM

I'll add The Relish