Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Some thoughts for you:

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah,
I am guessing there is a quite a bit behind that blahblahblah.... and maybe you were just having a bad day and you were wanting your other half to give you a hug and instead (being a man)

anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric",
Now that was just him trying to think of something useful to say. He failed, because that it really not a useful thing to say at all. Bless him, he can't help his male brain. You know that he forgot he had said this as soon as it was out of his mouth, while you are stewing over it- we've all been there!

and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything,
I am sorry you have been having a hard time getting into your room, but can I just stop you on the "completing anything" bit? Have a look at your contract and see if it says you have to complete things. Woops- no contract? There you go then. You don't have to complete anything. Personally, I am a great starter, and I enjoy that. I have several things on the go, and for me it is all about doing what I feel like doing when I can grab a few minutes to sew. Completing things is not necessarily what it is about for me. I complete plenty at work. If you are not like that with your hobby, that is OK. (If you really value completing things, I advise you to pick something super easy- a Christmas bauble perhaps?)

I have many ideas and thoughts
Congratulations- you are a creative person. There are millions of people in the world who have very few ideas. So you are ahead of the pack on that one.

but nothing ever materilizes...
Your ideas materialise! One of my great pleasures is to close my eyes at night and visualise things. They don't materialise either, but I still enjoy it!

I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly,
OK, this is an interesting one. Can you define losing interest? Is it that you just don't want the thing anymore, or that you don't want to work to get it, or that you lose confidence that the person you are making it for will like it, or you have chosen a project the needs speciliased skills, or what?

I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is
Sorry, let me check here, these would be completed projects? So you have actually completed two whole quilts, plus pillows? So in what way do your projects not materialise?

, I have been struggling with my son lately
That is draining. It doesn't leave much energy for other stuff at the moment.

but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies,
Oh look- a Capital Letter! I is for..... Inadequacies. Lets look at that one. Take out your contract again, the one about being a perfect wife, mother, homemaker, employee, daughter, neighbour- yeah, that one- the one you wrote yourself. Have a look under Inadequacies and see what you put in there. Look evberyone- there is a whole section on being Martha Stewart! (without the prison record). Sheesh- would you let anyone else talk to you like you are talking to yourself? If anyone else had come up with that list would you take it? So, why are you taking it from yourself? Take out the whiteout/tippex/correction fluid and remove some of those Martha clauses from your contract. While you are at it, write in some extra clauses about rewards and recognition for all the great stuff you achieve, (including having all those great ideas, and not being in jail)

I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything
And this would be unusual how?

,,,my mom would call it lazy
Hi Mom! Come in and pull up a chair! Now Mom, we all know how hard it was in your day and you didn't have all those machines, microwaves, disposable diapers, mobile phones, etc, but you know what? You also did not have to commute two hours a day and hold down a full time job as well as being the perfect wife and homemaker and dealing with all those new messages we get from the media now. So, butt out. You have no idea what you are talking about so just stop. You may be bitter that your daughter appears to have it easier than you did, but she doesn't- she has worries you don't even understand. And even if she did have it easy, that would be something to celebrate, so stop being so miserable and keep your opinions to yourself. (Now you can leave, we are busy talking here.)

I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing,
Keep trying, sister!

I love fabric, I love color,
Two really good reasons to collect fabric! You could have told your OH this when he made his comment about you being a fabric collector- there is nothing wrong with being a fabric collector, if it makes your heart sing.(And if you can afford it, but hey, you go to work, so you can afford some fabric)

and I really do like to sew and create,
We do too! Group Huuuuuuug!

so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
Nothing fundamental. I would say you are stressed out and tired and putting pressure on yourself. Somehow your hobby, which is supposed to be fun, has become just another chore. Take some time to do something that is pure fun, try to recharge your batteries a little, and see if you feel better.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM

I agree with everyone - you are tired & discouraged. Don't let your husband get you down with negative comments.. If you have any holiday fabric - maybe make something small that you've had your eye on doing. It will help you with the negative feelings.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
mel

it sounds like you are describing my life! The way I get past it is sign up for a class at a local quilt shop , it seems to give me that jump start. As a matter of fact I think I will start looking for one now.
You are NOT inadequet you are busy. Sometimes you need to just give yourself a break and look for a new pattern.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Kelley

Maybe you just need to find a project you like and just spend 15 to 20 minutes a day on it and maybe 2 hours on the weekend, before you know it , it will be done... You seem to be overwhelmed with work getting home and keeping house and a family... quilting is suppose to be relaxing... just try and relax for 10 minutes a day doing something... Let us know..

Hugs
Ladybug
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Cut yourself some slack. I worked fulltime for 40+ years - when I got home I didn't feel like doing anything either. Now that I'm retired there are periods of time that I never see the inside of my sewing room. A friend of mine suggested spending 10 minutes or so a day sewing - you'd be surprised how much you accomplish over time.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM

I totally agree with sherriquilts. Find a friend who you can spend time with quilting. When my 3 sons were little my FIL also lived with us and with 5 need males to care for I was exhausted and needed some out-side-of my home girl time. I wasn't quilting then but I heard about a quilt class at our local SR center. Now I wasn't old enough then to belong but I could take the class. That was the beginning of my love of quilting---24 yrs ago! I belong to a quilt guild and try to get together with quilt friends at least once a month. They rejuvenate me and we motivate each other. We help each other with our projects and just have fun for a few (or several) hours. You would not believe the difference a few buddies will make. Make a day just for you and a friend. I'm so glad I did.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM

How about taking a class at a LQS? Most of them offer fun and interesting classes and it's a great way to get to know other quilters. Our shop offers Friday Night Stitchers where we have an open sew and a pot-luck dinner. We also have UFO nights for "unfinished fabric objects." These sessions are always full because quilters are more motivated when we are having a good time with others.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM

I didn't read all nine pages of replies so maybe someone else has suggested this already.

Go into your sewing room and arrange your fabrics. Refold them, feel them, enjoy them. "Neaten" them. Sort them by color, category, or whatever works for you. For the moment that might be all you feel like doing. Eventually the desire to use them will come.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Noveltyjunkie, you said it all so very well!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM

The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
Wow it sounds like I wrote this. I too work full time and a one hour drive. I am exhausted when I get home. So hard for me to get motivated to sew. But I found for me sewing releases stress. So I organize and get my projects together in the evening little by little so by the weekend I try to get up before anyone is out of bed and I head to my sewing space and sew until everyone is up. then do my errands and back in the sewing area. So just pick at it little by little . I don't care if it takes a long time to finish a project . It just very stress releasing for me.