Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met..................... >

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM

I would have loved to have met Gen. Powell!! His book is one of my favorite biographies.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Billy Crystal when he was just starting out at a small bar/comedy joint one night, my brother was Debbie Gibson's bass player so i met a lot of people in that business. Gerry Cooney (boxer) was drunk and pushed into me on the beach out inthe Hamptons,(I live 1/2 away from west hampton beach, on Long island),he spilled his drink on me all over my new bathing suit i had just made.living on Long island, if you go to the east end alot like we do, you run into alot of people out there.
i worked in a bronze casting foundry and met alot of famous artists too, but i don't think anyone would know them except for mabye Erte ( in the lat 70's) he did alot of art deco and the guy who did the Veitnam vets mem inwashington dc. I also worked as a casket embroider for over 5 years, here on Long island, and did a few peoples caskets, but that's private and i can't say who, it's a very close knit type of community(dealing withthe deceased).
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
sue hausman from america sews
Me too, several times when she comes to teach at Cathey's in Tucson. She's great, and so is her husband, Herb.

I travelled on passes a lot when my husband was a Pan Am captain - often in 1st class where there were often celebs. Once. I sat with Ali McGraw, and she was very quiet and sweet. I had a quilting project, and she asked a lot of questions. Even said she wished she was creative. What a nice compliment!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Do tell.....
Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 AM

Bishop Tutu in Izmir, Turkey in the Anglican Church there.
We talked mostly about St. Polycarp, who preserved many of the letters from the first century early christians.
The Dali Lama while traveling in Europe.
Mother Teresa in a hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, where she was on a fundraising mission. I advised her how to help some of "her girls" get jobs in a specialized field.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
We talked mostly about St. Polycarp, who preserved many of the letters from the first century early christians.
Mother Teresa in a hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, where she was on a fundraising mission. I advised her how to help some of "her girls" get jobs in a specialized field.
OMG! You met BOTH Bishop Tutu AND MOTHER THERESA! How lucky are you! Especially meeting Mother Theresa..she is my hero. Consider yourself blessed!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 AM

I once played golf with heavyweight boxing contender James "Bone Crusher" Smith while stationed at POPE AFB in the early 80s. It was funny because he would go around and, when he found a bag of someone's clubs, would take out what he wanted to use (who was going to argue) and play. He played right-handed and I left-handed, so he picked out one of my clubs, it looked at it, handed it back to me and said, "Hey lefty, your club is broken. Get a good one!" LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

If I had to name three I'd like to meet it would be those three.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by p38flygirl
I have met WILLIE NELSON..He was in town for a concert..Hubby and I got to meet and visit with him afterwards..My hubby gave him a deputy Marshal badge..He is a very kind person..I love his music
I also met my country hero Willie Nelson when he performed during a three day concert at Greek Peak in NYS several years ago. I just love him! DH let me stay for quite some time after the concert ended just to see if he would come back out to sign autographs. He did and I got my picture taken with him!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by lydia coffman
OMG! You met BOTH Bishop Tutu AND MOTHER THERESA! How lucky are you! Especially meeting Mother Theresa..she is my hero. Consider yourself blessed!
You know, each of them was so friendly! They were so nice! I do consider myself blessed. Bishop Tutu is very funny! I like his wife too. She is a very handsome woman.
Very quiet - Doesn't say anything much...which I think
she has learned is best with their international exposure in the press/media.

I met the Dali Lama while traveling, while waiting for travel connections. He did not tell me who he was, but I guessed, and after that we had a long and very enjoyable conversation. He is a very intelligent and practical man with a quirky well developed sense of humor too.

I was at a museum conference in Indianapolis, I was in a hotel, I think waiting for a session to begin. Somebody came up to me and said: " Can you help this lady?" "She is asking for advice about working in a museum." She was wearing a kind of dark curious handmade suit and a hat. Of course I recognized her face. She told me she was known as Sister Theresa known as "Mother" in India...and that she had sort of sponsored a group of girls, and one of them wanted to get a job in a museum, and she wondered how to go about it. It turned out that I had helped one of my former museum docent/student/employees get a job in the nearby Children's Museum, there in Indianapolis. So, later that day, I introduced them....and later heard that the girl in question was helped to get a museum job.
Jeannie
I'm in Port Lavaca...hill country are you far?