Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:13 PM

I often thought a bulletin board to post pics of projects customers made from your fabrics. Maybe a 2 week time allotment to show each picture may (hopefully) be necessary.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
And - - when you get set up - online sales/marketing so all of us can help you! :-)

Marysewfun
Oh, yes! I agree!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Consider both working and SAH/retired people when setting your hours. I need to shop evenings and weekends and some stores are only open 9-5 weekdays.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 PM

I am a former quilt store owner two of the best things in my store were chairs for husbands to sit while they wait and a play area for children to play. I am in a small town and I had a small area in the back of the store but still visable to moms just had small trucks,cars,large legos,checkers.the regular's children would head straight to toy section.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM

A clean, comfortable bathroom is a MUST! Especially if you want to become a "destination". I agree that 108" yardage, muslin, flannel, and batting are important to have at competitive prices. If I could avoid JoAnns, I'd pay 10-25% more at my LQS. They don't have to be on display, just have a sign that they are available. How about thread sets?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Thank you for asking! In the San Diego area, there is only ONE fabric store that carries African prints....made here in the U.S., as well as Africa. And I can never find any Mexican designs other than Day of the Dead skulls, etc. Ethnic designed fabrics make wonderful, colorful, unique quilts!

Leslie
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM

My LQS has started to accept Joanns coupons--only the one by the name label. It cannot be out dated and it is good on up to 5 yards (one cut). After that it is full price. And, they keep the coupon just like Joanns would do. Love all the ideas. Makes me want to live near your shop.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

I like to shop in a QS where all the different fabric lines are all together. Not all the blues together all the reds together etc.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Lots and Lots of samples on the walls and all over the place so we can see what a pattern looks like all made up.
And on the sample, the name of the pattern and where to find it. Maybe also the fabric line used to make it.
And, perhaps, kits made up of that sample or a class. And a discount on the fabric purchases to the folks who attend the class.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM

I have not read thru all of the postings, but one VERY essential item in a LQS is personnel. Knowledgeable staff, whether male or female (I personally don't care), friendly, willing to make suggestions as far as colors, fabrics, etc.
Willing to help with problems, errors, measurements, etc. The staff should always acknowledge your presence when you enter the store, if they do not recognize the customer, they should offer to guide you around the store or at the very least, point out areas of interest and then leave you alone for a while. They should touch base with the customer after a while also....