Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 AM

Sometimes "generations" are skipped for "various genes," interests, etc.

So some day a grandchild or special niece or nephew, may cherish these quilts.

I have my grandmother's log cabin quilt that she made by hand. Her hands were barely able to hold a needle and thread. Nothing is perfect but I love this quilt. I am the granddaughter.

My children could care less about anything I do or have. It will be someone else.

If not someone in my family, then someone will enjoy my work.

I think when I look at quilts at shows and museums, I find so much enjoyment. It gives me pleasure. Many of the quilters are long gone and no one even knows the name but their work moves on through the generations; some quilted for comfort and did not think of joyment or that others would look at the quilt as an art form.

We never know how our threads will move others.

Be true to yourself. It is not wise to try to "please others."

I am very old to be just learning this lesson. It comes hard to please myself. Not to take words personally. I think how many words I have said that I did not intentionally say to hurt someone but I did. I wish I could pull those words back.

We all grow at different stages and times. I think of how much I have changed through the years, crafts I no longer want to do. I have noticed the books, magazines, fabric that no longer appeal to me. I keep evolving. So will your daughter.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 AM

No, no, no! You are not being selfish!

There are many programs out there that would be delighted to receive your quilts: Project Linus, nursing homes, shut ins, disaster relief agencies, chemotherapy units, women's shelters, men's shelters, children's hospitals, firefighters and police officers for wrapping children in love when there has been an accident or fire, just to name a few!

Do not stop quilting! God has given you this gift for a reason, you need to use it! And, we are our own worst critics. I'm willing to bet your quilts are a lot better quality than you think. They may not be 'works of art' but they are a 'work of the heart' and your love transfers to those who can snuggle under your creations.

Peggy in Fla
Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
It sounds like there is more to this story than you are sharing here. Unless your quilting habit is getting you into debt, causing you to neglect your friends, skip meals, or filling up your house to an unreasonable degree, I'd keep right on!
Now wait just one minute....since when has neglecting your friends, skipping meals, filling up...er um.... no I mean feeding the stash, or any other host of things an excuse to quit quilting. Live your passions, be passionate about your life and remember....too much (quilty stuff) is never enough. Tell that daughter to go buy a blanket..cause she ain't gonna git none o' your quilts. Then make a pot of coffee, turn on the radio to a good station and sew mama sew. Oh yeah a bag of M&Ms cause we would not want you to waste away from skipping meals.

A picture of some of my too much stuff and if I could get another set of shelves in the room believe me I would.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113128.jpe  
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM

I disagree with your daughter also. I love to quilt, it is my therapy, and while I haven't reached the point yet where I've run out of people to make quilts for, when and if I do, I would definitely turn to charities and to our soldiers and to those in need as places to send my quilts. If they enjoy using my quilts even only a little, it is enough for me to know that they are out there providing some source of comfort. Please don't succumb to what your daughter thinks ... keep on quiltin'!!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 AM

I love making childrens quilts. The majority go to Project Linus, and not only the children appreciate them, the parents do--we often get notes saying how the quilt gave them comfort knowing someone cared about their child during the child's sickness. I also make childrens quilts for neighbors. Both my next door neighbor and the neighbor across the street became grandparents for the first time and I made them quilts for the little ones. That made a bond between us--they bring the grandbabies over for me to see--I have a new relationship with my neighbors. I also make a baby quilt for the people I work with either as a new parent or a new grandparent. I love the childrens fabric--so adorable, so this gives me a creative outlet I hope I can do till I'm gone. Keep on making those quilts!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM

This is a passion and that is not to be wasted. So there are many things you could do.
1. The quilt sale in time for Christmas is a great ideal
2. Project Linus is an excellent ideal
3. Contact a local church and see if they have a community outreach.
4. Contact children hospital they love quilts for them.
5. Local hospital chemo patient
There are so many things that you can do. And be a blessing to others at the same time. So here, to your passion! Go for it, enjoy it weather you sell them or give them way. You are in the driver seat , whatever you choose it will be your choice.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

It sounds like you're a typical mother. We spend all our time trying to please kids, husband, parents, etc. Why not look at yourself and see what pleases YOU. I've only been quilting a few months (hand not machine) and I find it very relaxing. DH loves to play golf and he finds that relaxing and enjoyable. It also can be expensive--green fees, cart fees, the latest club that will make his balls go straighter and longer. I wouldn't dream of asking him to give that up and he fully supports my relaxation of quilting. Yes, it can be expensive but there are always sales to take advantage of. Just keep on quilting and enjoy what you're doing.

OMgosh, hospitals, orphanages, homes for the elderly.
Bet they would be so grateful to get them.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Hmmm... Why on earth would someone take a chunk of marble, a chisel and hammer, and pound away to make a sculpture that is just stuck in the Vatican for people to look at? (the pieta). Why would a guy lie on his back to paint pictures on a ceiling just for people to look at? (Sistine Chapel) Van Gogh painted how many swirly pictures? You get the point. If everyone saw creativity as a waste of time, look what we would miss.

Art is art. It brings beauty and happiness to the creator, the Creator, and everyone else.

Keep quilting. :-D
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM

I really feel fo you for I think too mny women think they can't have just the simple pleasure of doing something. We don't have to be doing something for others all the time and should value ourselves enough to do something we just plain want to/like to. No person should feel guilty for creating something they enjoy. I too have been too hard on myself too many times and now trying very hard to just do something I enjoy doing.....which is quilting. That beautiful baby quilt may someday warm a grandchild or another baby who needs a warm blanket. I think you are wonderful to want to quilt and not have to worry about it
going someplace. Of course if you want to send one here I sure would treasure it. LOL I so appreciate someones loving work. Don't feel guilty about doing something so wonderful. Mary M

"I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.