Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Sounds like all of us appreciate being treated with respect. I have been "put down" and made to feel that I am not a "quilter." In fact, the question I asked, was answered with a "then you don't know how to quilt and you need to buy....these books, and take this class....and it was going to last 12 weeks! 12 weeks is a life time.

I want to come in and feel comfortable LEARNING and becoming BETTER at my skill level. I want short training sessions.

I want to TRY new NOTIONS, TECHNIQUES. I want to use NEW and OLD machines. I want to try a FEATHER WEIGHT and BERNINA. I want to try a LONG ARM.

Give me REASONS to want to come in, SHOP, SPEND my money and leave feeling happy, having had FUN, a GOOD TIME. I want to SOCIALIZE with other QUILTERS.

And when I take a class, don't just take my money and rush me through to get rid of me.

And I would like a SWAP, TRADE fun time as well.

AND don't treat me like I am going to stuff my purse with everything. I am here to visit, to become a quilting family member. TREAT ME WITH RESPECT. Or I won't be back and I won't spend my money. I know you are a business but I am a GUEST.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
Sounds like all of us appreciate being treated with respect. I have been "put down" and made to feel that I am not a "quilter." In fact, the question I asked, was answered with a "then you don't know how to quilt and you need to buy....these books, and take this class....and it was going to last 12 weeks! 12 weeks is a life time.

I want to come in and feel comfortable LEARNING and becoming BETTER at my skill level. I want short training sessions.

I want to TRY new NOTIONS, TECHNIQUES. I want to use NEW and OLD machines. I want to try a FEATHER WEIGHT and BERNINA. I want to try a LONG ARM.

Give me REASONS to want to come in, SHOP, SPEND my money and leave feeling happy, having had FUN, a GOOD TIME. I want to SOCIALIZE with other QUILTERS.

And when I take a class, don't just take my money and rush me through to get rid of me.

AND don't treat me like I am going to stuff my purse with everything. I am here to visit, to become a quilting family member. TREAT ME WITH RESPECT. Or I won't be back and I won't spend my money. I know you are a business but I am a GUEST.
AMEN SISTA' !
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

I am sure you have been doing this already, but take a few trips to other LQS's. What is their layout like? Do you have an efficient spot to cut fabric, ring up the total and bag the purchase? Do you want it near the door at the front to greet customers as they come in and leave or in the middle of the store for a better view of all your clientele? How much floor help depends on how busy you are going to be. How much clutter can you handle or not? You are in the early stages; allow for space to grow! You will be changing rearranging all the time, make it easy to do so. Foremost--what type of shop do you want to present?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Didn't read them all, but the ones I read were great. How about an area on how to repair quilts? Just how big is your shop going to be? Sounds like if all these great ideas are incorporated into your shop, it will be a small city and may take several days to get through it all! Good luck on your endeavor. It will be very interesting. Would love to brouse through.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

If you think you will be having bus trips and shop hops coming through you might want to have 2 cutting counters and 2 cash registers for those extra busy times.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

has anyone suggested a "kiddie corral" with perhaps scheduled story times, so moms can trust their children are occupied and happy while they shop, and those who are not into kids can come in at non-storytime when it maybe quieter if they choose to? the second measuring table could be used for matching fabrics during non rush times. what a great idea! thanx for asking for our input! invite us to your grand opening!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Fabric by the pound--all the scraps left from cutting (say at least 2 inches) put in paper bags and sold for a low price (scraps you might normally throw away). I love 2 and 2 1/2" squares of bright colors to put in my Project Linus quilts. They make a cute border around a square of novelty print. I take all my left-over scraps and cut squares and use them as leaders and enders. I would definitely buy "scrap bags"!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 AM

I can't say "thank you" enough to everyone who has posted suggestions on what they would like to see in an ideal quilt shop. You've given me so many great ideas...I will definitely let everyone know when the shop (and web store) is up and running. You've made it very easy for a newbie to this board to feel welcome :)
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
Originally Posted by ccthomas

AMEN SISTA' !
Could not have said it better myself!!!
:D
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM

My favorite designs are by Marcus bros., Cranston, and VIP. I think a bulliten board where people can show a picture of a quilt they made useing your fabrics. I like to see a range of thimbles sizes offered. Thank you for asking