Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

owning three businesses, small and continually loosing money, gotta laugh, but is true, these are all home based businesses, silk scarves for a farmers market, soap for my small wholesale accounts and boat upholstery, JulieR is correct, in a small shop one must look at the replacement cost, in a large store they can absorb the price when they sell less than what they may pay wholesale. also in a large store, it is a come on, so that you will buy the sale fabric then remember you need "something" or some cool thing you just think you need, and may never use. i only write this because i know how it works, or at least the way i have seen it work. when i go to joann's i never leave without something i think i need, and do not---same reason wal mart only has buggies and not baskets to carry. i do believe that supporting your local quilt store is the best thing anyone can do, if they can afford it. which may be the reason i have millions of fat quarters without a clue what to do with them. someday tho.
sorry, as new to this forum i should not write so much, but it is important to understand why small shops are more expensive, they do not have the ability to have corporate backing, insurance and whatnot, nor the ability to buy, say 10,000 bolts of the newest fabric, wearhouse them and send them on their private trucks to their stores. small shops have to pay more, in shipping, in product, in insurance,
again sorry

jan in palatka
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Prices for fabric will continue to rise due to the weather conditions all over the US. Some areas have been flooded out and here in the South we are having a severe drought. There will be very little cotton harvested this year which will make prices skyrocket.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM

s for fabric will continue to rise due to the weather conditions all over the US. Some areas have been flooded out and here in the South we are having a severe drought. There will be very little cotton harvested this year which will Pricemake prices skyrocket.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

If I want to buy a new fabric line or new notion which being new are never on sale, I buy it and to make it free I find coupons online for items I buy until I have the amount spent for the fabric. I save all money saved by coupons, store cards, and rebates for my quilting stash. This to me makes it free. Just a personal game I pay for myself. LOL.
DH thinks I'm spinning my wheels. I told him I wouldn't take the time to use the coupons if I didn't play my free fabric game. I don't use the saved money on anything but my quilting so yes my quilting buys are free!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 AM

The price of cotton is only one of the factors in pricing. The price of cotton may have gone down, but by the time that is reflected in what we as a store pay, other factors then are higher. The price of freight has gone up, because the cost of fuel is higher and drivers want a living wage. I just received an invoice for fabric--85 meters and the freight is over 70 cents per meter.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 AM

We have to pay up to $26 a metre (39 inches) here in Australia.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If I want to buy a new fabric line or new notion which being new are never on sale, I buy it and to make it free I find coupons online for items I buy until I have the amount spent for the fabric. I save all money saved by coupons, store cards, and rebates for my quilting stash. This to me makes it free. Just a personal game I pay for myself. LOL.
DH thinks I'm spinning my wheels. I told him I wouldn't take the time to use the coupons if I didn't play my free fabric game. I don't use the saved money on anything but my quilting so yes my quilting buys are free!
Nice strategy!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

I think 10 pages is enough on this subject as it has been hashed and rehashed many times on this board.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 AM

I knew there was a good side to being a fabrahalic. I have enough t live off when I retire! I'll have to tell my husband what an invesment I have.

Vicky
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM

One of our LQS has new fabric for over $13 a yard. Just have not been able to do it. I check out the sale fabric and try to make do with that.