2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tohkatz68 View Post
Not totally sure how I did it but finally got a photo to post. WooHoo
A nice "neutrals" quilt. We just talked about neutrals at our last guild meeting. A couple of gals thought neutrals were light values of colors..think pastels..

Stay strong folks! Rff1010 is a great example of how to!
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Is the photo of this 'neutrals' quilt quite a few pages back?

I've been working on my first stash kit in the lull between BHMQ clues. I thought I would try Bonnie's 'webbing' technique, but it didn't work for me because I prefer to press and spray every seam as I go. However, I am following the procedure except for the webbing part (that is, I'm snipping apart my pieces rather than leaving them attached to each other).

I did buy some backing that was on sale for the mystery; normally I don't think of backing until I see my finished top, but I happened upon this while looking at the latest Hawthorne Threads newsletter and it did seem to be just the right colors.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Is the photo of this 'neutrals' quilt quite a few pages back?

I've been working on my first stash kit in the lull between BHMQ clues. I thought I would try Bonnie's 'webbing' technique, but it didn't work for me because I prefer to press and spray every seam as I go. However, I am following the procedure except for the webbing part (that is, I'm snipping apart my pieces rather than leaving them attached to each other).

I did buy some backing that was on sale for the mystery; normally I don't think of backing until I see my finished top, but I happened upon this while looking at the latest Hawthorne Threads newsletter and it did seem to be just the right colors.
Yes it is joe's mom
Old 01-19-2020, 05:21 AM

Yesterday after my stress-relieving Harley ride, I started consolidating my fabric for the impending move. I've been gifted fabric from 2 sources, & packed it all together in 1 box. I found a plastic container for scrapbooking that has 2 sides-1 that now has some leftover blocks from a quilt since it's about 14 X 14, & the reverse side is divided & just the right size for 2 rows of FQs. So it's now full & I *think* most of my FQs are in there. I plan to make some pillowcases to match the quilt I've already given to my younger daughter. So a small dent has been made there! Last night I managed to quilt some on the red & pink quilt made from donation & stash fabric. Nothing new is in this quilt, as I had some largish pieces of batting I stitched together.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:05 AM

I had found some blocks left from a quilt I made for bed, so I decided to use them up and make another quilt, this one for charity. The blocks are brown/blue and neutral miniature gatherings for background. I ended up with a quilt just short of 60X80. I found a piece of one of the prints to use for border, another for binding, and even found backing in the stash, so 6 1/2 yards from the stash plus 252 orphan blocks out of the stash. The blocks alternate Indian Hatchet and 4 patches. Can't decide what to do next.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-19-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Tohkatz, great finish and a lovely quilt.

Rff1010, sounds like a great deal on necessary fabric for your projects w/o feeling guilty. yay
Thank you but I can't take all the credit. Used a layer cake from my stash and some leftover tan/beige from a charm pack.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 PM

Grann of 6, great use of stash! You've been very productive.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 PM

So.... thrift store confession time. Hubby and I both found a couple of things we rather liked after bowling on Sunday but didn't want to pay full thrift store price and we noticed that they would be included in the sale going on today. We took the risk that they wouldn't be there today -- and they weren't, but we found a bunch of other nice things going to a total of 4 Goodwills today (and I skipped one of my favorite ones, wrong direction)! A couple things on "the list" of things we hope to find, a USB vinyl to digital turntable, it was on the special sale and under $20, new in the box.

We both found some nice clothing items, I got a lovely light weight/indoor jacket by Jones New York in unworn condition and a perfect fit on tag for 1.79! Hubby got a shirt brand new with store tags for the same, along with some other things.

And yes, there was some fabric. Picture one are two pieces, the price tag had been taken off but they sold them to me for $5.00 total. I have some of the fabrics in that top already and plenty of options to add a border and make a twin sized donation. I think that's a disappearing 9-patch??

Picture 2 are some vintage fabrics -- the beige is odd, 40" wide, a border print of sort -- maybe meant for pillow cases? The other two are both 36" wide, the zig-zag fabric I have in my collection from before in Black and Bright Blue. And I think the floral is pretty ugly but will add a nice zingy border or binding or something for my friends and their 30s fabrics. They were all on minor markdown, about $1/yard. I seem to become helpless in overcoming my desire for vintage.

The final picture shows a really lovely 100% cotton made in India bedspread?/huge table cloth?? that I got on tag day for $1.79 and the pieced center I got a different store for $2.00 that I can expand with my black fabrics to fit that backing. The same person had turned in several variations on the square, the others were different colors and different stages of completion, one just needed binding for a wall hanging.

In my case, I know that unfinished tops and UFOs count as fabric additions. But as the peanut butter cups would say, still not sorry!
Attached Thumbnails 100_5498.jpg   100_5501.jpg   100_5500.jpg  
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM

Iceblossom: You manage to find good buys on nice fabric! Way to go!

I finished a top today and will give it to my church group tomorrow to finish. It used 3.9 yards of fabric. About 1/2 of the fabric was from my stash and the other 1/2 was from 9 completed blocks found in a donation. Since it will be going out of my house, I include the 9 blocks in my fabric used tally. Lol!

I will be jumping off the wagon sometime in the near future because I need some earthy brown and mosey green to have on hand as blenders.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I’m just starting a new Quilt of Valor quilt and pulled 8 1/2 yards of fabric out of the stash for the top. Yea! I’m also using up a bunch of jelly roll strips in another project. I will figure out the yardages when I finish piecing the top. I hope the momentum continues.