2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-16-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Irish not sure. I know I did make a batik w/h drunkard's path pattern. Did have lots of color and it was over our sofa when I took the pic.
Yes. Because of that picture, I had to make one. Yours was the picture I printed for placement. I have trouble calling that pattern a Drunkard's Path. A DP is like my grandmother's quilt that made a path to follow. But whatever it might be called, thank you for posting the picture. That was one of my favorite quilts to make. I was casted in a wheelchair when I made it. My foot couldn't touch the ground, so I cut with a rolling chair between my legs with one leg in the air. It's surprising it came out with seams matching.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 AM

Julienm1- welcome to this thread.

wmuteach- cool quilts, congratulations on finishing a UFO and making the baby quilt entirely from stash!

Rob

Old 11-16-2020, 06:32 AM

Confession. I have a note on my computer...NO MORE FABRIC! We'll how long that lasts!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:40 PM

Thank you, Connie!!

Julie....welcome and congratulations on GGD. You’ll be busy preparing for the little sweetheart. And, a sign “no more fabric” works until the on-line fabric stores send their daily emails. I just delete them without looking at them...mostly...lol..
Old 11-17-2020, 06:35 PM

Today, I swam around in my craft closet and stumbled on some orphan blocks from a QOV I did about 2 years ago. Found a panel on shelf I forgot I had, looked up the QOV required measurements, and sat down on EQ8 and designed another QOV. Should have the top done tomorrow...and I might have the backing, too. Once done, I’ll contact my Vet friend in California to provide a recipient name. He has a non-profit that supports Vets and he is the one I make QOV’s for. IpI’ll share picture when done...
Old 11-18-2020, 03:34 AM

Teen, Love your comment about "swimming" in your stash. That is what I did last week-end. A local organization is including face masks in their holiday food/gift baskets. I dove in pulled out lots of smallish odds and ends for masks and linings. No quilts finished this week but a very tightly packed shoe box of masks by the week-end! Wow does that project eat up small cuts of fabric. I feel like I have cleaned house in my stash closet. Making masks also resulted in lots of mini scraps for dog beds! Now on to the finish!

I am so impressed with the number of folks who are finishing quilts and so on from what they have on hand. On the whole we have been blessed with an abundance of fabrics and with this year's determination, and an abundance of Covid caution, we are using our stash and that feels really good. Keep pressing on to your personal goal everyone, the end of the year is coming when we can .........do this all again.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I dare not swim in my stash...first of all I can't swim...second of all I would be drowning in an ocean of color!
Old 11-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I dare not swim in my stash...first of all I can't swim...second of all I would be drowning in an ocean of color!
There are worst ways to die....besides, your batting scraps would keep you afloat....sounds like paradise to me..lol..

WMUteach...using my stash, for me, has forced me to work with fabrics that I’m sick of. Lol... it helps when a piece of fabric looks different when used in another project... I’ve had this stack of deep purple scraps staring at me...I need to do something with them so I think I’m going to make some totes..
Old 11-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Oksewglad, I thought about this after I posted. I'd say the weave of AMB is a solid more like batiks, whereas Kona is more like standard prints. Both are high quality and can be used together but there are differences.

Would you consider that a reasonable assessment? I know from my own time in a fabric shop back in the early 80s, I developed preferences and preconceptions based on some brands. There has always been cheap fabric, but it seems to me that the feel of the greige goods for say Concord was pretty much the same back in the 80s as Hoffman, but what made the real differences were the saturation and sophistication of the dyes.

With more modern fabric, I'm seeing more variation of greige goods than before but then I don't work retail and don't allow myself in shops much any more
The AMB I have worked with seemed slightly looser and coarser than Kona (RKauffman) or Bella (Moda) solids. And yes the greige goods do vary. I feel the newer fabrics tend to ravel more as well. And that varies within the makers too.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
There are worst ways to die....besides, your batting scraps would keep you afloat....sounds like paradise to me..lol..

WMUteach...using my stash, for me, has forced me to work with fabrics that I’m sick of. Lol... it helps when a piece of fabric looks different when used in another project... I’ve had this stack of deep purple scraps staring at me...I need to do something with them so I think I’m going to make some totes..
Sounds like you have some purple sour grapes....go make some wine, too!