2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-08-2020, 03:15 PM

The Nightmare Before Christmas baby quilt is finished - not my choice of fabric, but I aim to please, so what is, is. I purchased the two feature fabrics, but everything else was from my stash. The back was pieced when no stores were open, so I really was on my own. Apparently I like this pattern for baby quilts. I think this is the 4th one. The back picture isn't loading. I'll post the front and try again.
raidens-quilt-front.jpg
Old 06-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Try again on the back.raidens-quilt-back.jpg
Old 06-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Conchalea: I was watching Pat Sloan tonight and when I typed that I was looking forward to the lessons on using a walking foot but was finishing some other things before trying the free motion, Pat replied there are chapters in her book on using the walking foot. Lol! I don't have a Kindle but I may be able to get it for my iPad.

Cattitude: Who knew a mask could curb our spending? I have not been out much but I totally understand about the mask being warm.

Irishrose2: Very nice front and back.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 AM

IrishRose2, sometimes we have the opportunity to work with something that is very taste specific and sometimes not our particular taste -- but that shows that you are a quilter! Good going.

I got my "they didn't really need to be fussy cut squares but I did" for my medallion project and then just haven't done a single thing in about 3 days. Think it's time to get myself back into the sewing room! Need to put the sub-units together and then I still have a kazillion of those little pieces to get done.

Cattitude, the requirements that have been put in place for our farmer's market here just breaks my heart and I will not be going. Masks I expected, 6 foot spacing I expected but some of the other things not so much. Basically we are to consider this as "essential" shopping with no/minimal interactions, we are asked to come alone/not households, have a list, there is a "right" way through the vendors with one way in and one way out and we point behind our masks at what we want and the sellers place it into bags for us. It is not the experience I want.

Some of these vendors, the farmer's market is their livelihood. They have soft berry farms or whatever and crops rot when the market doesn't open on time, like when it was postponed last week (whether from social unrest or not, covid was the excuse). They don't necessarily have contracts with processors to freeze or otherwise use their crops, nor do those processors necessarily have the license to open or the staff or capacity or other issues. If left to my despair, those families would not get the income from my purchases, so my husband has a list of things to look for and hopefully help our farming neighbors while getting us food from people we know and have trusted for 10-20 years some of them.

I've been using the phrase "not the reality I want" a lot lately. Deep down, that is something I do find very appealing about quilting is mostly it is within my control and I create the realty from my scraps...
Old 06-11-2020, 11:13 AM

I went down a rabbit hole with this top. It started out to be Bonnie Hunter’s String X but to a different scale. The scale had to change because I was determined to use up my rather large selection of 5” squares. Yup, I sliced up a bunch of my gaudiest 5” squares to sew them back together in these long strips....over 700” of strips including the leftovers that went into the stars. Then I decided to add the black sashing to punch it up again. Then I completely changed the layout to incorporate the basket weave effect. And added the stars because I thought the hourglass blocks in BH’s quilt wouldn’t suit what I was doing. Plus I could use up more scraps that way. The blue background was used because I had three blenders in blue that I thought were similar enough to use.

Originally my plan was to use the blue I had the most of for the setting and corner triangles. Once I had the blocks and strips sewn together I really liked it and decided the blue wasn’t good enough and so the top sat while I waited for quilt shops to reopen. On the weekend I picked up what I though would be a good blue but despite bringing samples of the other blues it is brighter than I hoped. And the setting triangles are so large I didn’t like the look at all and so I ripped them out and made more stars.

Still not thrilled with the setting and corner triangles but at least they will be the least noticeable part of the quilt when it is on a bed. 4 scrappies down, 2 to go (plus a couple batiks when I get to that pile).
Attached Thumbnails abba3cfc-b03b-47b9-a284-5e30cd25a8bb.jpeg  
Old 06-11-2020, 12:14 PM

IrishRose- Cute baby quilt.

Nice scrappy, Cattitude!

All these stash busters have got me wanting to make something with my scraps, but I've promised myself no new starts this month until I finish at least one of the UFOs that I pulled off the pile and can report it to the UFO challenge.... Then I am going to pull out my cut up scraps and play with layouts.

Rob
Old 06-11-2020, 01:19 PM

Irishrose....that turned out great regardless of it not being to your taste.

Great stash buster Cattitude!

I have made all I care to with the scraps from the garden quilt so balance went into stash. They are all great blenders so I know I'll be using them. However, I used the balance of a bolt (6 yards) for the backing that matched the perfectly so feel better. That bolt of fabric was a brainiac purchase so I'm glad it is gone now.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Cattitude: Congratulations on finishing that nice scrappy.

Rob: I should be making myself finish one of my UFO’s but other projects are calling out to me. I probably have a few projects that will go into UFO land soon.

Teen: Good for you to use up that bolt.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Catitude- love that top! Scrappy but controlled. You are a master!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Interesting setting Catitude.

Oh I fell.....bought 4 yards of the All Iowa Shop Hop fabric. the Iowa toile just seduced me! I couldn't help myself...now what to do with it!
https://store.brooklynfabric.com/win...nt=Catch%20All