2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-06-2020, 07:21 AM

I have been doing so well .. purchasing fabric this year. Only once so far for something special that I could not match out from my stash.That was back before COVID and before my Gallbladder surgery. I am making a Drunkard's Path King size quilt right now totally from my stash and scraps! I am amazed that I have been able to pull this beauty from my scraps and stash. I still have a way to go to finish the blocks before it can be put together. This is a picture of the quilt I am working on now I started the smaller circles about a week ago and it shouldn't be to much longer before I have it ready to sew together. I am so excited! Just shows that I don't have to buy to be creative.
Attached Thumbnails dp-2.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-06-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-06-2020, 07:37 AM

My floor is actually Orange & Blue shag (Mets - house came that way and eventually plan to pull up and hardwood underneath.). The fans are orphan blocks from this person's daughter's quilt so I actually really wanted.to include them. I planned on setting them with just plain white and perhaps a mini-internal border. And then another external border around the whole thing to contain the scrappy. But when I did tje layout this.morning it was just . To me its just disheartening to have such aspirations and have a "hot mess" moment. I certainly have auditioned fabrics for a project and changed my mind but this is a whole new level. I really like many of the star blocks but when I put it together...
Keep the ideas coming dear readers! Salvation is somewhere in the details.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-06-2020 at 04:17 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-06-2020, 09:15 AM

Juliasb....nice work! Must be so gratifying to be able to come up with something so pretty using only existing stash.

Rff1010....I love scrappy and really like what you have come up with.....I totally get why you want to use the fans. Any chance of making another fan block and using all 4 for corners in a border arrangement?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:41 PM

juliab, one of my favorite patterns, though I've never added the small circles. They certainly add a new dimension. It's going to be beautiful.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:51 PM

Rf1010: I really like your blocks. Would a vertical sashing between the blocks calm it for you? I was having a hard time choosing a sashing for my last quilt top and was fortunate to find one that worked because I had white sashing on some blocks and a variety of colors in the other blocks. It’s hard to find sashing that makes the blocks pop.

I like Cattitude’s idea of replicating a fan and using it in four corners. You would still be using the person’s extra blocks.

i know you will come up with something that pleases you.

juliasb: You are making great progress.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:41 AM

Well, I've done really well at not purchasing fabric this spring, but I have fallen off the wagon when it comes to thread... Last count, I had over 700 spools/cones of thread.. and I have recently added to them with purchases of a couple of thread lots of Sulky embroidery thread and large cones of Isacord thread from eBay. These are all threads that I use regularly and the prices were such that I really didn't want to pass them up, but I have to confess that I have no place to store the 5000 meter cones of Isacord (my storage spaces for Isacord fit the 1000 meter cones)... I think I've added about 100 spools/cones to my overall count. I have used up about 20 spools on the various UFOs I've got going, so there's that

Rob
Old 06-07-2020, 04:32 PM

Rob: I wouldn’t feel badly about buying thread that you know you will use and at a good price.

Lately, I have bought some books and patterns and my excuse is that I am supporting quilting instructors that aren’t able to be teaching their classes in person. These are instructors that I follow on social media. Thankfully, I have a very small group of regulars that I watch.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:24 PM

I bought red fabric yesterday for borders on 1 baby quilt I'm making. I also bought the Kindle edition of Pat Sloan's book on quilting. I'll confess I'm salivating over a Baby Lock machine advertised on line...
Old 06-07-2020, 07:45 PM

I finished a baby quilt that was half stash. I have another ready to sandwich that is all stash, but sadly. I think I have to buy backing for a quilt for a new Marine. I can't find anything large enough that isn't a floral.
I'll post the finished one later.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:05 AM

=19.73pxOn Saturday I trekked to a quilt shop and managed to get only what I went for.....a blue blender to complete an ongoing project, a beige solid for background for scrappy lemoyne stars and a hockey panel for an apron requested for my 6yr old grand nephew.

=19.73pxAny risk of impulse buying was tempered by the discomfort of wearing my mask......soooo hot! The shop does not require one wears a mask however out of courtesy to staff I always wear it when visiting a store. This has helped with over buying at the grocery store and as it turns out it works equally well at the quilt shop! Perhaps I should continue wearing it long after the current situation passes!

=19.73pxThe long awaited glorious weather continues and very little sewing has been accomplished this past week. However 32C may drive me to the cool basement tomorrow afternoon to finish a top that has been lingering for quite a while.