2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-06-2020, 03:36 PM

My Hope's to use the original quilt as batting fell.apart today, literally. The quilt stank after being stored who knows how long in unknown conditions, so I tried washing it. I felt I had little to lose, since the fabric was falling apart anyway. It fell the rest of the way apart in the dryer. So i have found memories of it on my bed as a child, & now I'm making a new one. I'll post pictures of the old & the new in a different post.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 PM

Conchalea- I'm so sorry for your loss! But it lived a good life.

WMUTeach- that is really pretty!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doug vanderHoof View Post
Finally, permission to speak up.
I scavenge in Chicago's alleys. I don't go out to scavenge, but I bike and walk through them and they're a special place if you're not worried about looking dignified. Furniture, clothes, books, appliances, office supplies.
Two relevant scavenges: Leather from perfectly good couches and, here's the stash, the entire stock of a closed bridal boutique. I got perhaps a quarter acre of lace, damask, and some other rich-looking stuff I can't identify. Bolts and rolls of it. Along with a lot of non-bridal prints and knits, etc.
Okay, I feel better now.

Welcome, Doug! Man, you got quite the stash and it sounds like it was quality stuff. Looking forward to see what you create with the goodies....because you are using it,right? Lol...Keep safe while scavenging!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
My Hope's to use the original quilt as batting fell.apart today, literally. The quilt stank after being stored who knows how long in unknown conditions, so I tried washing it. I felt I had little to lose, since the fabric was falling apart anyway. It fell the rest of the way apart in the dryer. So i have found memories of it on my bed as a child, & now I'm making a new one. I'll post pictures of the old & the new in a different post.
oh, man!! Hopefully, you can salvage a few pieces and maybe use it on back of quilt...maybe a label or something? So cool that you are recreating it..

I am waiting for triangle paper I ordered to start my King bed quilt so I'm not starting anything new. I've kitted up another quilt, though, with stash and that felt good.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:20 AM

Hola Teen,
Using that bridal stash is the third item on my list.
I actually got a heavy duty machine (White Rotary 77) and I'm learning to sew to use scavenged leather from couches in Chicago alleys.
I bought my first rock amp in decades and the amp cover was a cheezy, ill-fitting piece of vinyl. I thought I could do way better with the great upholstery leather.
Meanwhile, I have a lifetime of saved memorabilia fabric that I've always wanted to quilt. So this forum is my spirit guide.
See you around the threads.
Doug
Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 PM

You go Doug, and stay here with us!

I have become quite the thrift store shopper, at first through necessity but then I found I could find all sorts of things for free or close to it. It's just amazing first what companies want for new stuff, and then what people throw/give away... Seattle is a relatively wealthy area and I'm just pleased to pick among the discards of the rich folk.

I quit almost all new fabric buying a long time ago, but thrift stores are my problem area. Semi-fortunately for me, with Covid precautions, thrift stores were closed months ago and are just now opening up again so I've had months of very little temptation and zero purchases. A lot of people found time to clean out their closets and such, but the thrift stores were closed and you couldn't even throw things away, because the trash truck drivers were out solo instead of having a helper so the weight limits and other restrictions meant nothing extra could go.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I've been cutting my RWB scraps to use in a couple of QOV. I have enough squares cut and sewn to put sashing around. I will have to get a neutral tomorrow when I'm at work. I also have enough 2" strips cut to sew a rail fence quilt..I was planning on putting a border on it, but then maybe I have enough to make a bigger quilt. Also have pieces cut to make a strippy quilt from the RWB fabrics. I haven't checked stash to see if I have enough of a suitable piece to use for unpieced strips.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM

Doug is awesome! (Cheering section!)
Meanwhile I have spent $90 recently at LQS solely to give them some cash. So much pretty fabric...
Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Blue Mystery

I posted this same quilt on the Birthday Swap thread, but It also fits here. All materials are from my stash: Top, batting and backing. It is super easy and uses up about 6 yards of fabric. I plan on making it again only bigger and in greens and yellows. If you are a newbie, each step for this mystery quilt has lots of clear photos and accurate directions to guild you along. A good teacher. The pattern can be found at https://www.daysfilledwithjoy.com/20...a-long-step-1/

Attached Thumbnails daysfilledwithjoy-resized.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:52 PM

WMUTeach, I like the quilt - colors and pattern both.