2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
pettthefabric: Congratulations on getting fabric used.

WMUTeach: Our immediate group is around 8 but we have a lady that sews tops like mad during the winter that doesn’t attend our group and there is a group that meets at a local library but I only have met a few of them. Their quilts go into our counts though. I am the second youngest at 67 and our leader, who uses the industrial machine to sew the backing to the front, is 20 years older than me. When I have the chance to work in person with them, I admire how they work like a well-oiled machine. ❤️

Way to go, Rob!
An inspiration for all!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:44 AM

I'm in awe of the productivity of this group! It's great to read about all the stash busting going on. I'm working on my Unity quilt, using quite a few older fabrics, which feels good.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:56 AM

I'm going to be diving into my boxes this week, pulling out various things I hope to use for my round robin project. If there is any weird sort of thing I should be keeping my eye out to send to you as the perfect thing, this is a good time to tell me.

Already have 3 boxes (one each large, medium, small) ready to go to the post office -- and that doesn't include the round robin mail out which will be next week. Apparently it's been just about a year since I sent off my last crumb quilter package, and she got the large box this time, once I combined the partial boxes, bags and piles of small bits. There must be an inch deep of the leftover bits from the hand dyes leftover from my Frolic project alone. It always amuses me, the strata in the box as I'm working on whatever project it is.

Conchalea, the western/Texan fabrics I gathered have semi-scattered. But I'm figuring you are still getting yourself set up and reacquainting yourself with your stash and fabrics and projects on-going, put on hold, or future. Let me know when/if you are ready for those.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM

Thank you, Iceblossom. I havent sewn a lot on my projects lately. However, my friend here dug through a closet & found 20+ tops her.daughter pieces about 20 years ago. Daughter lives away now, so I'm helping her finish them for donations. I put binding on 1, which is all it lacked. We've finished another & given 1 away. I go back tomorrow to continue working on them. It may be a while before I get to my western-themed quilt
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

And this is why it takes me so long to get through my stash

Blush and Blue leftovers and it's a mini!
Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM

Conchalea, I figured you were happily settling down with other things. If/when you get back to the idea, most likely it will all still be here or at least I should still have some things, especially once you know more of what you want instead of the general idea. I pushed off all my planned projects for this year until next year. It's not that I don't want to do them, just that I am having a hard time getting them started now. So I'm going to do other things, hopefully things that translate into fun as well as stash usage.

I'm getting deep enough into my stash that a lot of my small/last bits have gone and I'm doing just fine with that. Sometimes I think of a piece I want and realize I already sent that one out -- but that's ok because there are a lot of other options that can now get used.

Oksewglad, it's like the old song... inch by inch, row by row that's the way our (quilts do) grow That's fantastic.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Oksewglad, it's like the old song... inch by inch, row by row that's the way our (quilts do) grow That's fantastic.
Thanks, IceB...you know I have more in a seam allowance on a 1/4" square finished that other sizes, so proportionately I'm using more fabric.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:51 AM

Little triangles, drat them, can have as much/more on the back as the front. I've just never understood how a .25" seam allowance meant you had to add 7/8ths to the desired size!

There are whole disciplines about geometry and folding and such -- a lot of which are used in the space program! I took a lot of math and have played with a lot of origami but the the science is amazing.
https://www.wired.com/2014/09/nasa-i...pired-origami/
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Interestiing, IceB. My son enjoyed origami as a kid and has an Mechanical Engineering degree. Fascinating article.

In sewing there is always that bit of fabric which gets "lost" in the fold. When sewing my minis I like to press seams open as less fabric gets lost and there is greater accuracy in piecing as well as less initial bulk.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:56 PM

Ta-Da! This evening I finished an exchange block quilt from 2011. I used fabric from my stash for the backing, the batting and the sashing. I didn't calculate the yardage but I will guess about two and a half yards of backing/sashing. A small amount, but it is no longer in my stash!
Attached Thumbnails 2011-exchange-finished-july-4-2020.jpg