2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-01-2020, 07:57 AM

If I understand you will be using the red chicken fabric in the center of the star? Will you be fussy cutting that? I think you are going to have more of the effect of a white center and red points depending on the scale of your star/center.

I like the swirly stitch sort of fabric option best. Maybe instead of inserting the color (if you fussy cut those chickens) into the block, maybe if you sash with the background and then something like Friendship Stars or Shoo-fly sort of the cornerstones from the accent color.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:01 PM

From the golds, starting at left, I like the color of 2 & 4 with the blue and red. My favorie is #1 but I think the other 2 match better.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM

Of course I'm going to fussy cut those chickens! (Bawk, bawl!) The chickens themselves are 4" but if I cut 5.5" I can keep some red around the outside for contrast. That makes the finished size of tje Ohio Star 15". I was also going to Anti-fussy cut some just red 2.5 squares and snowball the outside corners of the block, just to add a little extra punch.

The challenge of the yellow is I don't have enough of any 1 fabric. So it would Have to be scrappy - but would those fabrics lend themselves to scrappy in this case?
Attached Thumbnails 20200802_113455.jpg  
Old 08-02-2020, 07:44 AM

I like the block to block layout. In that case you can use the different yellows, I'd go one per block trying to keep roughly the same number of each of the fabrics -- so 2 or each or whatever.

I did a very similar quilt for a friend's baby, Ohio Stars (her hubby was from Ohio) many years ago. Had Winnie the Pooh fussy cut blocks, a yellow ring and then red blades, all set off with crisp white.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I purchased 1 1/2 yards of border fabric to edge the center rail fence medallion. Yardage for the center was 3 yards so a net loss on this quilt 1 1/2 yards!
Attached Thumbnails qov-rail-fence-2.jpg  
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 PM

oksewglad: Very pretty and congratulations on a net loss of yardage.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 AM

Congratulations on using up stash, Oksewglad!

I managed to use 31/2 yards of a very ugly fabric from my stash by overdoing it and then using it for backing for a UFO that I sandwiched yesterday! Also used a small amount of stash for backing and borders on another UFO that just needs binding. However, I've had a bit of a buying spree on eBay-- I've added 30 5000m. cones of Isacord thread to my stash and another 30 250 yd. spools of general purpose sewing thread to my thread stash. All were purchased for a fraction of the cost of buying new so good deals, but I probably should stop checking out the used thread lots on eBay for a while...

Rob
Old 08-04-2020, 04:30 PM

Goodness, rryder, I never thought of looking for thread on e-bay! Congrats on getting the "ugly" fabric out of your stash! It takes courage sometimes to do that.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:47 PM

I started cutting scrap fabric for Pat Slpan's ScrPpy Stars project. Then I looked at the RWB squares & some other rectangles I've sewn into blocks, & decided I have too many projects! Not counting what I'm sewing at K's, I counted 8 WIP's. Then I remembered my SIL wants a quilt for her niece's baby, due in Nov. Ack! I need to concentrate on 1 or 2. The end of my rant.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:30 PM

I cut another baby quilt tonight. Easy cutting - a Carpenter Star. 1/2 yard purchased - the remainder from stash. I have more than enough of the white on white for the back, but I really don't want a white back.

I mailed seven masks today to a great niece downstate. She couldn't find any cotton ones. I hope they fit. 3 for her, 2 each for her son and husband.