2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Goodness, rryder, I never thought of looking for thread on e-bay! Congrats on getting the "ugly" fabric out of your stash! It takes courage sometimes to do that.
the key to the ugly fabric was overdyeing it. Changing the color helped immensely. There were two pieces, one was 4 yards of hideous brown- that’s the one I used for the backing. The other was about a yard of ugly pink- it is now back in stash, but will get used now that it’s a purple-ish color. Both were given to me, so other than my cost for the fabric paints that I use as “dye” they were freebies.

on thread- Check out used thread lots on eBay. There are some very good deals to be had if you go through a lot of thread like I do.

Rob
Old 08-08-2020, 04:32 AM

On Thursday K & I traveled about 25 miles west to a nice quilt store, JT Ranch, in Cisco, TX. We needed muslin for a 35+ year old top she had, plus I needed backing for a baby quilt. I also bought some WOW, which my many projects have depleted. In all, I got 2 yards of WOW & almost 2.5 yards of back for the baby quilt. I finished the bolt. K bought 1.25 yards of 90" muslin, also finishing the bolt. We pieced some fabric I had with the new to make a complete back for the vintage top. My fabric used was 2 yards, equal to the WOW, plus we used all K bought. I plan to use all the bright backing on the baby quilt, so it won't go into stash. With using the fabric I had on hand, net gain = zero! I'm sure the WOW will be used quickly, too. If I'll get with it & complete my butterfly quilt, which needs quilting & binding, that entire project is from stash, which will remove a lot from my current amount. For now, I stand even.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:29 AM

I haven't bought anything so far this year other than restocking my solid black and white. Black half gone...

Hubby has been planing a road trip in honor of my 60th birthday this year, we have decided that we are going ahead with the plans. In mid-September we will be traveling south down I-5 from Seattle to Sacramento where his sister lives. Then we will turn around and go north on Hwy 101 and go through the Redwoods and coastal Oregon on the way back. It will be one week on the road, and then he has one week at home before going back to work as their guidelines request.

We looked at all the yurts and treehouses and funky accommodations on Air BnB and have picked up some pretty fun and funky dog friendly places to stay, single units operated by homeowners. We've taken the (new) dogs out on two long day trips to see how they do -- and they do great! We had two different dogs in a row that didn't like/didn't do well in a car, so for the last 10 years traveling with the dogs hasn't been easy.

So now I'm deciding to look at quilt shops in my path -- I get a birthday exemption, right?? I'm going to be in Grants Pass, OR and I know Jordan Fabrics is there... Haven't looked yet at what other temptations might cross my path.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:20 AM

Sounds like great fun Iceblossom. What a lovely way to celebrate.
Been awhile for me to check in though I have been reading the posts. Finally I'm in minus territory after purchasing some fabric. Used 5 1/2 yards on Carpenter's Wheel top. Close to 5 on a scrappy top using a free pattern called faux log cabin. 6 1/4 yards on some reusable paper towel/ napkins. At least 6 yards on wall hangings, and real close to 6 on an Arkansas Crossroads pattern. I've seen the ones you have made, loved them - so it was time. I have kept busy at least sewing tops but also wall hangings as well.
With being on full time oxygen, figured the best place for me is home as much as possible. Unfortunately (at least this year!) I only live 20 minutes away from Sturgis and bike week, so even my short little rides are suspended for a few weeks. To add to that I had to put down my sweet cat this week and the rides would have been a welcome relief on how empty this house feels right now. Amazing how they come and take over your world. The Black Hills are gorgeous - I'm lucky I get to see them all the time. I guess I just got to share them though. Everybody have a great weekend.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM

Iceblossom, your plans sound wonderful!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:55 PM

Elly - I've been watching the news coverage of Sturgis. I think if I was "breathing your oxygen" I would be on extra lock down also! You have my prayers ... And just dig into that stash and sew away!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 PM

I have done fairly well this year. I have made about 120 masks and made many bags for charity I have 160 on hand today and have already given others away already. So fell off the wagon today. In my defense it was quilt shop fabric at 50% off. Shop is going through an ownership change and so is selling lots of fabric 50-75% off. Stayed under $50.00 so I did not buy all the ones I wanted to. Reds and brights mostly as I use a lot of those.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:11 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I used my birthday exemption to buy this kit

https://www.fiberworks-heine.com/sho...-x42514921.htm

A friend from back in school got her MFA a few years ago and her project was a group of female torso sculptures. Thought this would look cute in her studio, although it will be cut to be a torso, not a dress form.

Last edited by Krisb; 08-08-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Iceblossom: Happy 60th! That sounds like an awesome trip.

elly66: Stay safe. My state is suggesting anyone that goes should get tested 7-10 days afterwards. Sorry about your kitty.

LindaJane: Good purchase. Way to go with the masks and bags.

Krisb: Happy Birthday and your friend will love it!

Old 08-09-2020, 04:07 AM

OMG- I forgot all about the birthday exemption and my birthday was in July. I’ll apply it to all the thread I bought from eBay in July. Whew! That’s a relief, cause it was a lot of thread

Happy Birthday, Iceblossom and Krisb!

Rob