2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-28-2020, 07:53 AM

Found this UFO in a stray box in my sewing room. All scraps: top, batting and binding. Had to purchase backing but the left over back is enough for another small quilt, baby size. Saving those scraps of binding paid off!
Attached Thumbnails donation-quilt-july-2020-47-x-52.jpg  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Irish, nice work on the baby quilt! Teach, I love scrappy surprise boxes, great job!

Last year Northcott had a program where participating stores designed and sold a block using the Stonehenge Solstice fabric line.
It sounded like fun to explore a bunch of quilt shops within a 2 hour radius of my home and then try to come up with a quilt design using the various blocks. I picked up 12 different blocks and 4m of extra blender fabrics for finishing.

A few months ago I built the blocks in EQ and tried to come up with a design I liked but didn’t have much luck. Turns out I’m not a huge fan of samplers.

I then decided to make Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice but fabric considerations dictated a change in plans.

I cannot decide if I think the gradations in the fabric helped or hindered with this design. Overall I like it, but might have a problem finding a home for it due to the colour scheme.

Used almost all of the blender yardage and I am guessing about 2m from the block kits. A lot of small pieces remain from the block kits but I think I will be able to use it up as a setting for the panel I purchased.

Attached Thumbnails d226f032-071c-461f-ba65-d039174fd456.jpeg  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
Irish, nice work on the baby quilt! Teach, I love scrappy surprise boxes, great job!

Last year Northcott had a program where participating stores designed and sold a block using the Stonehenge Solstice fabric line.
It sounded like fun to explore a bunch of quilt shops within a 2 hour radius of my home and then try to come up with a quilt design using the various blocks. I picked up 12 different blocks and 4m of extra blender fabrics for finishing.

A few months ago I built the blocks in EQ and tried to come up with a design I liked but didn’t have much luck. Turns out I’m not a huge fan of samplers.

I then decided to make Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice but fabric considerations dictated a change in plans.

I cannot decide if I think the gradations in the fabric helped or hindered with this design. Overall I like it, but might have a problem finding a home for it due to the colour scheme.

Used almost all of the blender yardage and I am guessing about 2m from the block kits. A lot of small pieces remain from the block kits but I think I will be able to use it up as a setting for the panel I purchased.

Cat' You have gotta love Stonehenge. This turned out perfectly . Colors or not, anyone will be proud to receive this. It just might make someone "change" their color scheme!
Old 07-28-2020, 01:45 PM

That's gorgeous Cattitude! I think the colors look great together.

Rob
Old 07-28-2020, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Great contrast in your HST's WMUT

Lovely color combo Catt...
Old 07-28-2020, 04:02 PM

Your quilt is beautiful, Catitude. Northcutt makes my favorite fabrics and Stonehenge is a favored line. The colors suit me just fine.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:34 PM

Cat, the pattern is perfect for the Stonehenge line.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:31 AM

Cat- I think its perfectly lovely.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 AM

Cattitude -- another vote on it's great!!

I'm not a big fan of sampler quilts either, or more specifically it doesn't seem to be something I'm good at, but I see what other people do and just love it. My brain just doesn't think well that way.

The way I work I usually make a few test blocks and/or deliberately make several more scrappy blocks than planned, just because sometimes blocks just don't play well together. I used to have problems then doing something with those blocks, and that's usually turned into giving them away -- but now more and more I put them on the back of my quilt.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM

I'm not a fan of sampler quilts, though I do have one to finish from my SIL's stash that looks like it will turn out pretty. Basically. pastels from the 90s. I need to make one block - there is fabric with it.