2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-22-2020, 05:59 PM

Rff1010: Great use of stash.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2020 at 03:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 AM

Rff1010, thank you for the bag reminder. Those are also good project bags for knit, crochet, & embroidery kits.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2020 at 03:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-23-2020, 04:19 PM

Well, bought 2 yds of torquoise fabric today. It's to match other fabrics and sorely missing in my stash. Now I can get some of the stash matched up. Haven't heard of many people falling off the wagon.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Some of us aren't confessing. PTF! Plunk...cough cough...has the dust settled. I bought 9 yds of fabric at $4 a yard during crazy days sale. Hoping to use it in backing of a cow quilt of some sort. The other 3 yards was for background fabric in a QOV.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Some of us aren't confessing. PTF! Plunk...cough cough...has the dust settled. I bought 9 yds of fabric at $4 a yard during crazy days sale. Hoping to use it in backing of a cow quilt of some sort. The other 3 yards was for background fabric in a QOV.
most definetly not confessing to the 5 yards at $2 from JAF clearance. Or the $90 spent at my 2 LQS once they reopened. Or the Bluprint bundles (back when we thought they were going out of business).

Nothing to see here! Just carry on! (Frantically stuffing fabric under the bed)
Old 07-24-2020, 03:42 AM

I made reusable Christmas gift bags a decade or so ago -- still in use! I sorted out my Christmas fabrics and only kept some of the true red/green/white for a string project I have in mind and gave the rest (an entire box) to the Forgotten Children's fund, they had volunteers making stockings and were asking for donations. Lol, they had to recruit more sewing volunteers once they saw the box but they made their goal!

It's been hard on me, but Christmas fabrics was one of my first moratorium/no buy rules. Maybe it helps that I have a friend who is the Christmas Queen and sets up at least 2 trees per year for herself and has a room/walk in closet chock full of everything Christmas fabric.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:02 AM

ckcowl.....how nice to have a family member to share with. Your son is a natural!

Conchalea....nice work on baby quilt and butterfly project. I would love to do a version of a lemoyne Star quilt my parents received as a wedding present that is in very bad shape. I am waiting for a line of reproduction nautical fabrics to come out but that might never happen.

So many outdoor projects on the go that I haven’t accomplished much at the sewing machine, only a few masks for family now that quite a few counties around here have gone to mandatory masks. Our case load around here is extremely low but it is quite sobering watching what is going on stateside right now and most are complying.

I did make a July purchase but happy to say all fabrics are for ongoing projects. A neutral background solid and some Kaffe stripes for sashing a scrappy. I haven’t been tempted too much.....my big weakness in the past has been not being able to walk away from a great deal....but they have been few and far in between. The brick and mortar and online shops I frequent have had increased demand and delays in receiving new inventory making them less likely to have those super deals.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Nothing to see here! Just carry on! (Frantically stuffing fabric under the bed)
Ha Ha...or sneaking it into the laundry room when you first come home (I prewash my fabrics)
Old 07-24-2020, 04:43 PM

True confessions! Back for a UFO, and small cuts 1/2 yd to use to finish an orphan block quilt for donation. I must say that with this moratorium I am getting low on backing options. Still plenty to make an abundance of quilts just not backing.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:16 PM

Today I dug in stash & found a queen-size flat sheet to use for the butterfly quilt. between the top & back, all from stash, it used at least 10 1/4 yard of fabric. I didn't include the butterfly appliques in that count, but I'm sure they add some. I decided to use those after reading another post in Main, asking what people do with floral prints. Those aren't really my favorite fabrics to use, but I got several small pieces in some boxes/bags donated to me. Today K & I sandwiched the top & back, & I hope to quilt it soon. My big guilty confession-I bought a Baby Lock Jazz II!! I love it! I finished piecing the butterfly quilt with 2 borders on the Jazz II. I have to practice FMQ on Jazzy before I begin the butterfly quilt.

We realized we need to buy another bolt of batting once we cut a piece large enough for the butterfly quilt. We've been using it at alarming rates! Although, K loves Frankenbatting, and one smaller quilt used that style. We have completed 2 or 3 more, which I'm waiting on the pix so I can post.