2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-24-2020, 05:25 PM

Conchalea: Congratulations on your purchase. Lots of enjoyment ahead for you.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:08 AM

I finished a simple baby quilt and the baby isn't here yet. Yay for me! All but 1/2 yard came from my stash, including the batting. The feature print was left over from another baby quilt, most of the strips were from stash, but I did purchase two 1/4 yard pieces. Back is a nice Moda muslin. Another boy - I like boys. Now I can start a baby girl quilt - she's already here.
It was a thicker batting and I like the swirls. MY FMQ isn't fancy, but it holds the quilt together.
Attached Thumbnails conors-quilt-front.jpg   conors-quilt-back.jpg  
Old 07-25-2020, 09:46 AM

I like the swirls too, a lovely finish, Irishrose.

Still no real usage to report but no fabric gains either so I'll take it as a win.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Progress report! Since lock down with COVID I have bought ..fabrics. I am so proud of myself and am still stitching just about everyday. I finished a couple bears paw blocks a couple days ago and am using fabrics from my stash for everything.. I am so proud of myself. I even sent a quilt out for LA'ing and had the fabric here for that too. Now this is exciting quilting and staying with in my goal of cutting back seriously of fabric buying. Nothing in close to 6 months! I never believed it was possible! Thanks to the moratorium!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-25-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-25-2020, 05:31 PM

Irishrose - that is a lovely quilt and a nice pieced back! What's the final size?
and your swirls are lovely.

Julia - yay you! I have not been a good girl so I'm very proud of you resisting temptation.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:43 PM

The baby quilt finished at about 42" square. Smaller than the last one, but big enough. Nice and thick for tummy time. I did a flange binding and the thick batting made it harder to make the binding 'perfect'. All except the two pieces I bought at Hobby Lobby were quilt store fabrics. A pleasure to work with. The patriotic quilt I'm working on now has some fabrics that aren't great quality - I will be glad to be done with it. Tomorrow I sandwich it and start FMQ. I may stick with the swirls, but they won't have as much definition with a thinner batt.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 PM

A friend is in a group of ladies that gets free loads of fabric from a manufacturer with the stipulation it must be used for charity. She had it laid out and showed us on Zoom what she had. She pulled out torquoise at my request. This will belp me get more kits together with my stash.
Just finished another top with 4 1/2 yds in flimsy. 50" x 82". Good for women's shelter.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:47 AM

Irishrose2: Congratulations on your finish! I like the swirls also. Nice way to incorporate the leftover feature piece and great coordinating colors.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Very nice IR2...the swirls really make it special!

Spent the weekend in Wi with our daughter and family. Stopped at an antique store...picked up some hand stitched blocks...I think the fabric is antique shirtings. They are 'aged' and want to soak them in oxi clean before I put them into a couple of wall hangings.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:37 AM

Am proud of myself, thrift shops are open again and we are looking specifically for a cat food feeder. I picked up an carried around a set of the pre-stamped blocks for embroidery. If the fabric had been full cotton, I would have gotten it but as it was (and since I don't do embroidery) I put them back and left with nothing.

Still not using much fabric, so far this year I have sent out two large boxes of 80s fabric and I have one more I am filling for a group that does hospice quilts. Earlier this year I did a lot of borders and backs to make existing tops/UFOs into donation quilts and have given them to a long armer wanting practice.

So a big self cheer for not buying... maybe I still need a bit of pushing on starting/working on my own projects, but I think this year is just going to hit my personal history as "not going as planned".