2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-16-2020, 12:06 PM

Welcome new fabric bashers! As I've shared in the past, I don't keep a lot of stash as many who have been quilting longer than I have. I joined this thread group to help contain the momentum. Lol! And, it has helped immensely.

I started this year with many kitted projects and made a goal to tackle those as often as possible. Got sidetracked a bit to work on a stack of patterns I've collected. Wherever the inspiration took me is where I went. This week, I grabbed the first kitted project on the stack.... Hootsville Row, by Sassafras Designs

Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2020, 12:55 PM

Teen....I love, love, love it! Great work, great colours!
Old 06-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Binding - yes I can make it in my sleep now. So glad I can get elastic again. Masks have been a challenge but still fun
Old 06-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

So, I’m continuing to Purge and organize. When my sister ( attacked) my shelves she just folded everything and put it into stacks- some sorted by color but all sizes/ types. I have an Accuquilt Go and decided to start again on the shelves ( sometimes it’s just therapeutic) for me to iron and fold my fabrics. Each stack I take out I separate into new stacks- More than a yard, full yards, half yards and fat quarters. Anything that doesn’t go in one of those stacks is getting cut up with my Accuquilt. 2 1/2” strips, 1 1/2”, & 1” strips, 5” , 3” & 2 1/2” squares, 2 1/2” x 4” bricks and I have a few appliqué shapes I’ve cut some of.
I’m still organizing by color. But also solids all go together, batiks, fairy frosts, panels, theme / novelties and baby’s.
I'm finding things I totally forgot about from quilts I made my granddaughters when they were little- the youngest is 19 now- it’s nice to be cutting up all the odds & ends into sizes I have use for.
I also sent out 3 yards of fabric to someone and added an extra few fq’s and sent my son 3 yards of black and a kit, so another about 12 yards of fabric gone.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:53 PM

I haven’t bought any fabric this year that I can recall. Maybe two yards of flannel backing for my grandson’s baby quilt, but that may have been before January. He was born in March.

Honestly, I haven’t been tempted, either. I have given away almost all my scraps . Just tired of them. I’m getting such a bang out of decluttering my house. I started weighing the stuff leaving my house (via donating, selling, recycling or dumping . I’m up to 752 as of today. I’ve temporarily lost my sewing mojo but it will return eventually.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pbraun View Post
This is an interesting thread I found just today. Since I am relatively new to quilting I do not have a big stash. From reading what others have posted I was afraid of letting such a monster take over my life. I have a few kits for small projects, a baby quilt with fabric I do not know how to sew and a second set of fabrics for a duplicate mystery quilt. Otherwise I only have left over fabric from my learning projects. Then along came the virus and I sewed several hundred masks using most of the left over fabric and fabric that was supposed to be used for special gifts and Christmas gifts for my family. I even used Halloween fabric that once draped an exhibit in my classroom. I did order some fabric online for microwave bowl cozies and was so disappointed in the feel of the fabric I do not think I will order online again. The purchase resulted in a yard of stiff red fabric in my "stash".
Welcome to QB and to this Thread. Sad that your first experience was dissapointing. A few new fabrics are less stiff after washing in hot water to remove the chemicals on them. Some onlilne stores are better than others. There's several threads about shopping online. I prefer to touch my purchases (hence my Board name-petthefabric). More variety is available onlilne and for some, stores are miles away. One reason I bought online was for a red/white 2 1/2 inch WOF exchange. I wanted fabric no one else would have found. Success-I found a sale fabric that was very unique and got compliments after the exchange.
The lqs just reopened. Inventory is low. Now (vs younger years), usually looking/petting satisfy my fabric fix. I have so much stash that matches are available.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:25 AM

CK & zozee, good work on reducing stash! Teen, I love the owl quilt. Am I right in assuming it's pieced or appliqued?
Old 06-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Making 6 baby quilts and using my stash. We are antaicipating a move so alot of my fabric that I probably WOULD use is in a box but the box never got marked as fabric. Ah crap. Hopefully can still make this work. Trying so hard not to buy fabric even tho JoAnns is open and I have coupons!!! lol
Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
CK & zozee, good work on reducing stash! Teen, I love the owl quilt. Am I right in assuming it's pieced or appliqued?
Thank you! The background is pieced, the owls and moon are turned edge applique.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:14 AM

Teen- that is sew cute!

Rob