2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 AM

First, my good news. I used 1 yard of stash fabric & 1 of stash batting for a baby quilt. The top & binding is from 2 jelly rolls I bought at the start of lockdown. All my stash was in storage at that time.
Now for the confession portion. Since I have the cowboy themed quilt simmering in my mind, today's ad from Jordan fabrics caught my eye. Perfect colors, perfect prints, so I ordered a layer cake ( my first ever) & a jelly roll. The fabrics I already have are mostly muted browns, blues, & sand. This fabric will be used in my quilt, so won't go into stash.
But at the same time, I worked on my butterfly quilt yesterday. All the fabric in it is from stash. I sewed sashing & trimmed some blocks yesterday. I have 28 butterflies appliqued on neutrals, & 28 bright squares to alternate between them. I'll sew black outlines on the butterflies & add borders. All from stash.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:57 AM

Good going, Conchalea. I'm glad to hear that the cowboy theme is still working through your mind and you found what was needed, even if you had to buy some of it. You had "prevented from using stash" exemptions.

I really like the layer cake size, that is the same as my 10" swapping squares and is quite useful/workable.

My round robin project arrived yesterday, this is Row 2 if you don't count the center. I'll be using all stash but the amount is tiny, is only 25" square or so now and I'll be putting on ~6 inches. Still, it's been fun to go pull the pieces and some of them were washed for the first time making them more usable for the future.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:45 AM

Way to go Ladies on using stash.

Now that my studio is more cleaned out, i felt I could take a breath and start a new quilt. I've been collecting pictures of ez quilts to give for comfort quilts. So, I've got one layed out on the floor (ran out of design walls) that'll use ~5yds. Came out so nice, I've pulled another group to do the same quilt. Feels good, and all because I clean up my studio.

Long ago lost tract of yardage used this year.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:31 PM

WMUteach....I really like your blue quilt. Great way to use 2 1/2 sq. I'm going to save that.

Rff...cute baby quilt...I try to have a couple of baby quilts on hand...so quick and easy to do. I have a couple of patterns that I typically use unless baby is family...if family, I spend a bit more time on design. I have 2 lap quilts that I've set aside for same purposes.

I'm working on my king quilt with the the gazillion HST's. That HST paper is working great so it's coming together pretty quickly.. Been able to pull from stash the colors I needed...so far so good.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Iceblossom, thanks! I liked your western fabrics, they just didn't quite fit the colors of the fabrics I already have.

Here is the baby quilt I finished earlier this week. I used the walking foot for triangles in the square blocks. I thought it would be a nice contrast. After practicing swirls on a pillow top, I FMQ'd swirls on the red borders. Getting that muscle memory imprinted right before working on the quilt really helped my swirls. All are free of eyelashes! I used super magnets to hold the quilt on my fridge.
Attached Thumbnails cj1.jpg   cj2a.jpg  
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 PM

Update on the butterfly quilt. I have all 28 butterflies appliqued on the neutral squares & sashing attached. Today I started putting black highlights on the butterflies. Depending on how many photos I can attach, I may have some of my grandmother's original quilt. The fabric had faded to near-white, in the few places where it hadn't worn all the way through. It really was beyond saving.
Attached Thumbnails butterflies1a.jpg   roxie1.jpg   roxie2.jpg   roxie3.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 08:03 AM

nice log cabin and quilting, Conchalea! And, that butterfly quilt is going to be amazing. Sorry about your grandmother's quilt, though it sounds like it had a great life and was well loved.

Rob
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
nice log cabin and quilting, Conchalea! And, that butterfly quilt is going to be amazing. Sorry about your grandmother's quilt, though it sounds like it had a great life and was well loved.

Rob
Thanks, Rob. I had my grandmother's quilt on my bed as a kid, & I loved it enough to make my version of it. It will be mostly from stash. I may have to buy backing for it.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:00 PM

Conchalea....your Quilting looks fantastic on the log cabin. Well done! And, butterfly quilt looks so vintage. Love it! So so cute...
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM

Conchalea: That’s an awesome baby quilt! The quilting is great too. I enjoy hearing about your progress on the butterflies. I think I may have a block or 2 of butterflies that my DMIL made that didn’t make it in a quilt.