2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-06-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
My temperature quilt started on January 1st, 2020. High temps are the center big triangles lows are the small . Chose flying geese 3 1/2” x 6 1/2 “
I started with writing down temperature ranges from ( below zero, ) then every 5* up to 100* so 0*- 5* is one color, 6*-10* next, on up to 96*-100* then over 100*
cut swatches to represent each color for each temperature range and glued them to the paper ( actually a white shirt cardboard) I used scraps often so the colors have variations but stay close to each temperature description.
peach day I would write down the low & high temperature, didn’t manage to sew every day but when I could I would pull out my color/ temp key and my day planner that each day’s temperatures were recorder and I would catch up- I decided to have them point up on odd months, down on even, sewed each month together into a column. Added a black batik to the top & bottom of each column to bring every month to the same length then found a Jinny Beyer border print to put between columns. Only 25 blocks to go and it will be finished. Yea!
im trying to decide if I’m going to do another on with different blocks/ colors - plan- haven’t decided yet.
Good on you for sticking with this project. Looking forward to seeing the finished year.
and especially this year. Bet it looks awesome.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:17 AM

Motley, as a non-quilter, your CHP friend doesnt understand the necessity of a stash. Our moratorium is to encourage us to think about new fabrics coming in just to join the existing stash. I hope it helps us shop our stash before we buy more. It's good you have friends who check on you. Bonus-she took some fabric to lower your stash stacks!
CK, I love all your work! You are so precise, & your color choices are beautiful. Using your stash, plus shipping 35 pounds of fabric to your son is an excellent way to reduce your stash!
Pet, when 2021 finally rolls in, your stash will be better organized for use, even if you haven't sewn much with it. Hang in there! This bizarre year is almost over.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:33 PM

Teen
Good on you for sticking with this project. Looking forward to seeing the finished year and especially this year. Bet it looks awesome.
----
My heart is palpitating visualizing your stash. I cannot imagine having that much stuff. I freak out just looking at my itty bitty stash. But, oh how wonderful to roll around and create in those piles...
------------------
Conchalea
Motley, as a non-quilter, your CHP friend doesn't understand the necessity of a stash. Our moratorium is to encourage us to think about new fabrics coming in just to join the existing stash. I hope it helps us shop our stash before we buy more. It's good you have friends who check on you. Bonus-she took some fabric to lower your stash stacks!
----------------------------------

True he does not understand my stash needs. Just received an email that May has already finished his quilt and added some of my former stash items to it. I'm wonderfully honored at this. Jay and May are truly great friends. May has also found some items in California and told me they will get here for Christmas. Hmmmmmm, Now I have to wonder for all those days. Jay did not get Christmas week but that's alright as they will be coming Before Christmas so I will still have them for the week before the week of Christmas. Since I don't have any family that Celebrates any thing any more, I can celebrate Christmas any time. If they come, I'll set out the little tree otherwise I won't even put that one out----have 2 cats that would love to make it fall repeatedly.

The only reason I have so much is when we were able to go to the Senior Center, I was able to take the left overs of everything that was left over from the quilt class. Otherwise everything would have ended up in the dump. Couldn't let such fine fabric meet that fate. I haven't actually bought anything--except for a blouse I wanted--in about 5 years but just let my stash grow. I worked on quilts, dolls and dolly clothes now that I have my New machine--a Brother--I will begin sewing everything. Starting with my Trooper quilt.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Default One more from my stash for 2020

I know we have come to the end of this year's moratorium, but I just got the binding on this little quilt and now it is off to Project Linus later this week. About 2.5 yards of fabric out of my stash for top, batting and back! I know it looks a bit wonky but the wind kept blowing and I could not snap it so it looked flat. None the less, finished. Off to the next top to quilt and bind and also a few Christmas presents!

Attached Thumbnails 2020-12-9-mini-charm-muffins-resized-donation.jpg  
Old 12-09-2020, 04:25 PM

WMUTeach: Very pretty and congratulations on the finish!

I finished washing the rest of my solid fabric purchases. I am still way ahead in yardage out even with the recent purchases. I finished a top recently and have another one on the design board. I’m using leftover blocks, experimental blocks, and squares/strips from my 4” drawer. The sashing is green polka dots on a white background. I sure messed up the first time I cut the sashing strips because I didn’t check if the dots lined up properly for straight cuts. 🤷‍♀️ I had sewn a few sashing strips on and decided to leave them in the quilt and put those rows towards the bottom. So goes life. My main goal right now is to continue using up ‘what was I thinking’ fabric, leftover blocks, and square/strip sizes like 3” and 4”.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:29 PM

WMU & Retired, good job on continuing to use your stash! Y'all are like folks who stay on a low carb diet through the holidays. I'm down with allergies & haven't sewn for almost 2 weeks. I dont feel like it, not even going thru my fabrics to see what I can make with it.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 PM

WMU, good job! A beautiful quilt, and I like the pattern! Congrats on diminishing the stash.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:03 PM

WMUTeach....really pretty Project Linus quilt. Love the colorway....and, that pattern is really cool. I’m saving that pattern cuz it looks perfect for donation quilts.

retiredteach...you should be so proud of your stash busting this year. And, I have a bolt of “what was I thinking” that I really want to get rid of...may end up giving to my quilter with a big bow on it... she’ll be thrilled.

Conchalea...bummer you are down with allergies. No telling what you drove through on your recent ride. Feel better soon!

I am working on a quilt I kitted several months ago...feels good to take one off the stack. It’s applique and piecing so that should get me through the end of year. Yah!!!
Old 12-10-2020, 04:31 AM

Several of you mentioned the pattern for this quilt. It is a free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop. I did expand the pattern by adding two extra border rows so it would measure 40" square. I did not have any particular color plan other than just to use what was in my bin of blue scraps. Several more from that same bin are finished this year or are in progress. The bin is still over flowing. Guess I had an excess a serious case of "the blues".

https://www.fatquartershop.com/mini-...t-free-pattern
Old 12-10-2020, 04:51 AM

Neat quilt WMUTeach! congratulations on finishing another from stash.

Conchalea- I hope you feel better soon. The allergens in my neck of the woods have been extra virulent this year. I’m hoping for a good hard freeze to help tamp some of them down.

Rob