2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-10-2020, 06:55 AM
  #1221  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Between the dashes of a tombstone
Posts: 12,595
Default

Thanks for sharing the pattern to your blue quilt, WMUTeach! Yours is indeed lovely.
oksewglad is online now  
Old 12-10-2020, 04:42 PM
  #1222  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 2,623
Default

Conchalea: Blasted allergies!

WMUTeach: 'the blues'- very appropriate for this year. LOL. My blues outnumber all of the other colors in my sewing area. Most of them were in donations over the years. However, I needed to buy some basic blues because those were missing from the stash. Go figure!

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 12-10-2020 at 04:45 PM.
retiredteacher09 is offline  
Old 12-11-2020, 06:16 PM
  #1223  
Super Member
 
WMUTeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portage, Michigan
Posts: 4,645
Default More ways to use your blue stash

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Conchalea: Blasted allergies!

WMUTeach: 'the blues'- very appropriate for this year. LOL. My blues outnumber all of the other colors in my sewing area. Most of them were in donations over the years. However, I needed to buy some basic blues because those were missing from the stash. Go figure!
I was just feeling like I could move on and the Friday Tutorial from MSQ is all glorious blues and could easily be done with scraps rather than pre-cuts. It is all blues. I can see it hanging on my wall now. Winter stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvrio4CkmMM
WMUTeach is offline  
Old 12-12-2020, 05:33 PM
  #1224  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 2,623
Default

WMUTeach: It is a lovely quilt. I enjoy watching the MSQ videos.

retiredteacher09 is offline  
Old 12-12-2020, 06:48 PM
  #1225  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 494
Default

So I know it's not quilting but...
i just finished making some zipper pouches for my son's teachers. Everyone is getting a small container of maple syrup in a zipper pouch. I used upholstery fabric from a donation but it could easily be done with FQ.
Just a thought out to everyone looking for quick projects for gifts!

And if I get any more cheap zippers - I'll make another batch for the woman's shelter. I'm sure they can use them for toiletries.
Rff1010 is offline  
Old 12-13-2020, 05:22 AM
  #1226  
Super Member
 
WMUTeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portage, Michigan
Posts: 4,645
Default

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
So I know it's not quilting but...
i just finished making some zipper pouches for my son's teachers. Everyone is getting a small container of maple syrup in a zipper pouch. I used upholstery fabric from a donation but it could easily be done with FQ.
Just a thought out to everyone looking for quick projects for gifts!

And if I get any more cheap zippers - I'll make another batch for the woman's shelter. I'm sure they can use them for toiletries.

I have not made any zipper pouches but am thinking that like you, they make good little gift holders. Which pattern do you use? There are so many variations on the pouch. I am looking for fast and uncomplicated. I am thinking of future gifting, not this year. I am wrapping up sewing gifts this week and want to refocus on UFOs for the next couple of weeks.
WMUTeach is offline  
Old 12-13-2020, 05:42 AM
  #1227  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central NM
Posts: 1,076
Unhappy

Teach I like that tute too but thought about it in Christmas color. Sadly don't have any holiday colors. Looking for permission to go shopping.

Wait! DH loves batiks and I have 3 layer cakes! Crap don't have to go shopping

Last edited by Julienm1; 12-13-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Julienm1 is offline  
Old 12-17-2020, 11:46 AM
  #1228  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ballwin, MO
Posts: 3,374
Default

Rff1010, that sounds like a lovely gift idea!

I bought a kit and a FQ bundle today, spur of the moment! It's those darned sales. We are on hiatus right now, aren't we?

Conchalea, thank you for leading us in our moratorium, and for planning to do so again in the new year! It has helped me tremendously, to develop a new mindset (which apparently deserted me this morning, LOL).
joe'smom is offline  
Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 PM
  #1229  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ranger, Texas
Posts: 778
Default

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Rff1010, that sounds like a lovely gift idea!

I bought a kit and a FQ bundle today, spur of the moment! It's those darned sales. We are on hiatus right now, aren't we?

Conchalea, thank you for leading us in our moratorium, and for planning to do so again in the new year! It has helped me tremendously, to develop a new mindset (which apparently deserted me this morning, LOL).
Yes, we are on hiatus, besides which, I don't think you went overboard.
Conchalea is offline  
Old 12-18-2020, 07:49 AM
  #1230  
Super Member
 
juliasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Default

As the year comes to a end I can say, without a doubt, I have been successful in not buying fabric like I usually do. I purchased only 2 pieces of fabric all year. Now that compares to a minimum of at least 50 cuts a year. The 2 cuts I needed were for the finish of 2 different quilts that were gifts. I hope I can do this well next year. It has been fun working from my stash this year. I reminded me of the many reasons I purchased some of these fabrics. It also helped to recall I had a goal this year that was special. I was making hundreds of mask! The mask making has slowed down but I am still making at least 5 a week. More specialized in fabric choices. It is still nice to see doctors and other staff wearing the mask I made.
So 2020 has been a gain for me. I spent less money, I thinned down my stash here and there and I had some beautiful quilts pop out of my stash. My favorite is on my bed now and is being much loved all because of the moratorium.
juliasb is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.