2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Motorcyclemad, lovely finishes!
Thanks, Joe'sMom. After the "Fits" my UFO gave me, it is taking a little bit to get revved back up for anything. It also has a twin so we will see if I can get it done--Sooner rather than Later.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 AM

I am working on a UFO from a Jelly Roll Race. I cut it up and added some applique blocks. So needed some fabric to finish the borders. I went to JoAnns and bought 4 yards of black/white/tan fabrics for border and binding.

They were having a special that you could take a Christmas clearance item with each purpose. The store near me was letting you take as much of the Christmas clearance as you wanted and the clerk was encouraging us to take more so she wouldn't have to deal with boxing up what was left.. So I came home with 2 dozen spools of ribbon, lots of gift bags, tissue paper and ornaments. I got it all put away with the Christmas stuff for next year. So while I didn't add to the fabric stash much I did add to the Christmas stash. I will find purposes for all of it next year for projects or share with others. I did get some little trees that will make a nice addition to my Christmas village.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:48 AM

LindaJane, I think you are good. Like you said, you didn't really add to the fabric stash so the Moratorium Police aren't gonna come knockin'
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 AM

Minor thrift store purchase report -- last night I went to watch hubby's bowling league night, right across the street is a Value Village. I've gotten some other scores there before, the Indonesian batiks/wraps was one of them.

Last night in yardage there was a lovely piece of Jinny Beyer about 4 yards for $2.99 and then I saw a bag of scraps that had more in there, plus some other nice fabrics for $3.99. When I opened it up there was a partial 4-block OBW variation, more of the yardage that just had little squares taken out, some lovely Clothworks Alaskan fabrics, one of which I picked up while I was on my cruise the other year, the other I "couldn't afford then". Those are up in the top left corner, watercolor looking flowers and mountains. Some Clothworks solid half yards? Haven't untied the bundle, they feel bigger than fat quarters. And some Christmas I think fat eigths? maybe from Moda -- really nice but I don't collect Christmas any more so they will be moving on. As well as a couple Judy Rothermal civil war scraps and some bright happy prints, the sort I'm enjoying right now. Some immediate little bits going to the crumb quilter.

OK, so I got the good one but in my defense I did leave two other bags of scraps and some yardage behind...
Attached Thumbnails 100_5535.jpg  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Iceblossom, I wouldn't have been able to pass up your bargains! In fact, at those prices I might have thrown caution to the winds & bought it all. Good haul, & I'll help you climb back aboard.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 PM

As I have shared, I don't have a massive stash but I'm quite happy to report that I have emptied 5 mini bolts since the first of the year for various quilt and craft projects. Probably close to 12 yards...That's really good for me. One mini bolt (maybe 3 yards) has been sitting there for over 2 years. This week, I whacked into a FQ bundle that was a year old and chose a pattern and size quilt to use almost the whole bundle. I have maybe a 3 inch strip left of each fabric so I'm going to dig in stash and add enough of various blenders to make a multi-fabric binding. It felt so good!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
As I have shared, I don't have a massive stash but I'm quite happy to report that I have emptied 5 mini bolts since the first of the year for various quilt and craft projects. Probably close to 12 yards...That's really good for me. One mini bolt (maybe 3 yards) has been sitting there for over 2 years. This week, I whacked into a FQ bundle that was a year old and chose a pattern and size quilt to use almost the whole bundle. I have maybe a 3 inch strip left of each fabric so I'm going to dig in stash and add enough of various blenders to make a multi-fabric binding. It felt so good!
Way to go Teen! . Like you, it does feel pretty awesome to use up what you have without actually spending. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:29 AM

Have already passed on the Christmas prints at the small group, along with a couple others. So already reducing it.

Today I am trying to get most of the Frolic quilt put together, then borders tomorrow (borders are made, will just have to attach). Goal is to have the top done by Friday/Valentines Day. Not sure if I mentioned it here or in the Bonnie Hunter thread but Saturday we are going to do something different and hubby and I will go to our first live football game together. I actually instigated this -- Seattle has an XFL franchise and we will be there for the home opener/first ever home game. I'm expecting the weather to be absolutely horrible, personally I loved the King Dome and would have never built an outdoor stadium in Seattle, but there you go....

I'm looking forward to getting this project done and slap some borders on the one I've put aside for this. And then on to the next slice and dice project. I mentioned it last year and it is the next up -- Minions! This is both a design test and a vision compromise sort of project. In order to use fabric I need to be "less perfect" and just find uses for stuff, as I've been saying whatever I can use it for is the perfect use for it. So the old me would say, "oh no, Minions don't belong in an adult bold floral quilt," the new me says -- "well, it meets your design requirements of black and white and yellow medium-large scale so why not??". The reality is that with my vision issues I can't really tell what sort of design the fabric is from 5 feet away, especially when it's cut smaller than yardage. I can see colors and shapes but not detail so well. I can see it clearly at working distance, but not that galloping horse from 6 feet away...
Old 02-12-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Minions! This is both a design test and a vision compromise sort of project. In order to use fabric I need to be "less perfect" and just find uses for stuff, as I've been saying whatever I can use it for is the perfect use for it. So the old me would say, "oh no, Minions don't belong in an adult bold floral quilt," the new me says -- "well, it meets your design requirements of black and white and yellow medium-large scale so why not??". The reality is that with my vision issues I can't really tell what sort of design the fabric is from 5 feet away, especially when it's cut smaller than yardage. I can see colors and shapes but not detail so well. I can see it clearly at working distance, but not that galloping horse from 6 feet away...
So sad to hear your vision is failing. My vision is also deminishing and sometimes can't match corners. A few yrs ago, a quilting buddy became legally blind. Since we'd been quilting together for some time and critiquing each others work, she'd pick out what she thought would work and I'd correct it and anything else she needed help with. I was glad to be her buddy.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM

I leaned over the wagon and grabbed 3 pieces of sale fabric on sale At LQS. 1 yard of solid for $4.00 each and a 1/2 yard for $4.00. They all go into my stash. I like to support my LQS. I just went in there to buy a flying geese ruler. (One of my favorite rulers). I’m in the process of making several projects from my stash, nothing completed yet, but some close. Happy sewing/quilting everyone.