2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 PM

Oksewglad, I thought about this after I posted. I'd say the weave of AMB is a solid more like batiks, whereas Kona is more like standard prints. Both are high quality and can be used together but there are differences.

Would you consider that a reasonable assessment? I know from my own time in a fabric shop back in the early 80s, I developed preferences and preconceptions based on some brands. There has always been cheap fabric, but it seems to me that the feel of the greige goods for say Concord was pretty much the same back in the 80s as Hoffman, but what made the real differences were the saturation and sophistication of the dyes.

With more modern fabric, I'm seeing more variation of greige goods than before but then I don't work retail and don't allow myself in shops much any more

Old 11-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Joesmom...Great collection of scrappy’s.... I like the Cluck Cluck Sew pattern and your use of the black. I love black in my quilts. And, I like most of her patterns. I have the chicken pattern I haven’t made yet, which, btw, is on sale today, if interested.

Last night, I looked at all the projects I kitted up and got a bit overwhelmed....so, I just grabbed one and will start that tomorrow while I wait for the backing I ordered for the quilt with the gazillion HST’s I finished... here it is..
Attached Thumbnails f924a642-f48d-4309-af68-c62bfe89c2ab.jpeg  
Old 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM

So beautiful, Teen! I love that soft palette, and your background choice for the trees.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:39 PM

Iceblossom: I forgot about my birthday exemption! 🤷‍♀️ I guess I better use it up.

I went into my LQS today and used that birthday 20% off coupon on Wonder Clips-50 of them. I wanted to get a couple other things but the owner came with the items as I was leaving. She said to tell the employee checking me out next week that I could use the birthday % again because it wasn’t stocked yet when I got there. Now to decide if I really need the bag pattern and/or the Christmas panel. The LQS is going to do different specials during different time periods instead of small business Saturday. I haven’t seen them yet so I better hide my purse. Lol!

I decided to try a few blocks like oksewglad’s wonky legged star. I’m just not very good at improvising something like those legs. I will finish the second block and then decide if I want to make more. My thought was to use up some 4” squares and oddball triangles but it looked easier said than done.

I’m also making more kits from pictures I’ve seen in different places. I am trying to use up some of the sizes I have saved that aren’t very pattern friendly for me. For example: 3 and 4” squares.

I hope to get lots of sewing done tomorrow. Today was errand day after a quick Zoom BOM and I came home and crashed. 🤷‍♀️ I was only gone for 2.5 hours and my son drove. I guess my body needed downtime.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 11-14-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:43 PM

Teen: That is very pretty!
Old 11-14-2020, 05:08 PM

Hope you all are doing this in 2021. I need to do this. I did the UFO challenge for the first time this year and it helped me tremendously. I have finished 11 of the 12 projects on the list. Number 12 will be done in December. I also, due to writing them down finished another 20 on top of the 11. I am on a roll and wish, I could have done this at the same time, what a challenge that would be!
Old 11-14-2020, 05:12 PM

Thank you, ladies...

Retired...I love that wonky star quilt oksewglad showed, too. I want to make one, as well. And, it’s good you listen to your body and rest when needed. Rested body stays well!!

Today, I took all those triangle cuts created when I squared the on-point lattice quilt and sewed them all together, added sashing and a border using the rest of the scraps and made a baby quilt. Here is the link to the lattice quilt...
Jelly Weave, by Cluck Cluck Sew

i love this little 38” baby quilt. Tilda Fabrics are so soft and romantic looking to me. Makes me want to redecorate Shabby Chic..lol. If I’m not in my Bold & Bright zone, I’m all about Tilda..

Attached Thumbnails 492e1aa7-8513-4459-a835-a008e07d02d6.jpeg  
Old 11-14-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tazsew View Post
Hope you all are doing this in 2021. I need to do this. I did the UFO challenge for the first time this year and it helped me tremendously. I have finished 11 of the 12 projects on the list. Number 12 will be done in December. I also, due to writing them down finished another 20 on top of the 11. I am on a roll and wish, I could have done this at the same time, what a challenge that would be!
Welcome to the forum, tazsew.....and welcome here at the moratorium. Congrats on your UFO finishes, too. You really hustled! Would love to see your creations and we’ll support you all we can... yes, we do this every year as long as there is an interest.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
oksewglad, those are 9.5 in. squares, and the cornerstones are 1.5 in.
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Tazsew, I plan to start this thread again for 2021. I think many are interested in it, & I know it helps me try to stay on the wagon, or train. It's been called both. I've bought more than usual this year, but I taught my friend to quilt, & we stayed in & sewed all summer long. We used up a lot of new & stash fabric in our exploits. So far, only 1 piece joined my collection, as it was bought without a special purpose in mind.