2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-06-2020, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
oksewglad: I’m trying to avoid anything new right now but the Bonnie Hunter one is sure enticing me to join. I have plenty of time but I’m enjoying working on my own things. Good luck with your monthly mystery quilt.
Sew glad you found that pesky block..now onto a finish!

Oh I need another project like a hole in my head, but need to make a quilt for my brother who is moving into assisted living later this month.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:19 AM

Retiredteacher, consider joining us on the Bonnie Hunter mystery! For some people, it's a considerable amount of sewing to do in a short time, to those of us who sew every day anyway, it's pretty reasonable.

I'm still looking at my fabrics and my Tuesday ladies are bringing me greys (which I had no where near 5 yards in my stash, I'm thinking maybe 1-3 yards max in all those thousands). But... today I'm going to pull out a large-ish childrens print and see if I can find enough coordinating fabrics to make a juvenile half sized project. Since she mentions in the instructions there will be opportunities to use string piecing, I'm thinking she will have larger than her ordinary tiny pieces and maybe the juvenile print would work...

I didn't do many mystery type projects earlier in my quilting career, and I rarely follow anyone's patterns nowadays either. But I'm finding mystery quilts to be rather freeing in using my fabric. Hah, can't blame me if it's not perfect, it was a mystery and I didn't know. I say that now because I have plenty of fabric, earlier there was just no way I was going to drop a ton of money on stuff on an outcome I didn't know.

I've liked the Canadian Quilter projects the last couple of years, it was a block a week I think 2 years ago, and then a row by row this year. I printed out the RxR and may indeed do it sometime, but pretty much if I don't do a project when planned or happening I end up not doing it. It starts up in the new year and I'm thinking of doing whatever they have going on this year.

I'm pretty happy with my own scrappy style but in things I'm trying to work on now are things more like samplers and such. One of the reasons I did the Round Robin project is this sort of thing is not my style. But, if I had more practice putting together things that I wouldn't ordinarily do, I think it will help me with what I do... I'd like more confidence in putting together different blocks/types/construction techniques than I currently have.

edit: Just be aware that is can be some pretty intense sewing doing it in real time and happens between Thanksgiving and New Years -- which is very busy in some people's lives but maybe not so much this year.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:08 AM

Yesterday, did a trip to Fresno to shop.
Intentionally bought fabric for backs. had tops with me. The clerk measured and said "4 yds". I calculated and said 2.4 yds. Don't need left overs to add to stash. Added .5 for binding and bought 3 for each quilt. Saved ~$25. Lesson, take the calculator and figure it out yourself.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Yesterday, did a trip to Fresno to shop.
Intentionally bought fabric for backs. had tops with me. The clerk measured and said "4 yds". I calculated and said 2.4 yds. Don't need left overs to add to stash. Added .5 for binding and bought 3 for each quilt. Saved ~$25. Lesson, take the calculator and figure it out yourself.
Amen, Pet..! I always figure out for myself. I had extra wide backing leftover that took me a year to use up as a result of “shop” calculations.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:48 PM

I bought backing also for three, possibly four quilts. The LQS that is closing was open today for shopping. (Tryingn to clear their shelves.) I had a gift certificate from three years ago that I found so I bought backs before the shop completely disappears. It was hard to not by lots and lots, such lovely fabrics.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Well, no sewing today but I did some sorting of odds and ends squares. I also did a few things outside and enjoyed the weather. Text messages, a couple of phone calls, emails, and FB messages kept me busy too. Blessed with wonderful birthday wishes from family and friends.

Son #1 and I ran an errand and he bought me McDonalds for my birthday meal. Lol! He also gave me a very nice gift card to Target. Son #2 isn’t feeling the best so I won’t get to see my grandson tomorrow as I hoped. Better safe than sorry.

Iceblossom: I have done several of BH Mysteries before but just can’t get into it right now. Other projects are calling to me. 🙂. I do have a few weeks to decide though. Thanks for the encouragement. I would only do 1/3 or 1/2 of the units if I joined.

petthefabric: Way to go on buying only what you needed.

WMUTeach: I’m glad you found and were still able to use your gift certificate.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 11-07-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:54 PM

I haven't stayed on the moratorium too well in the past week or so, but I did use all stash fabric on my butterfly quilt. Even the backing was a queen sized sheet I had in my stash. Plus the new purchases are panels & wont be in my stash. 2 are ready to quilt right now.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Im thinking next week to open 2 containers with fabric packed in them. They've been that way for years because couldn't wedge in another piece of fabric. Now there are 2 empty shelves and wedging won't be necessary. It'll be like getting new fabric to work with, it's been that long.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:38 AM

Conchalea: You have been working really hard on finishing K’s daughter’s quilts plus your butterfly quilt. Your panel purchases are for FMQ practice if I remember correctly. So I think you have been doing awesome! I was looking through a box of my DMILs partially finished projects and found the blocks where she made butterflies out of handkerchiefs. One of these days I will investigate that project further.

petthefabric: Have fun going through those containers this week.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanks, Retired! Yes, K & I have been working through many UFOs. She's now an accomplished quilter & binder & loves both. She's also practicing her FMQ & is pretty good at it. I've made her practice pieces & she is also using panels for FMQ. I think she's a quilting junkie now.