2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-03-2020, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Cat..two great finishes! I especially like the "plus" one, the black makes a nice contrast for all those pretty brights. And way to use up stash.

Teen, call your panel a CoVid exemption...for we've had to stay "Home". I've seen that panel with Iowa outline for the "o" here.

I'm sewing a little quilt with 2" squares; have the blocks done. It will measure 42 x 48 when done and uses over 2 yards of fabric before adding a border, binding or backing, mostly from gifted fabrics...sounds like a win for me and the donation recipient.

Welcome Deb...the more the merrier.

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-03-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I sent my son another 10 yards of fabric, then my brother came up to fix a leaky shower for us, we were talking, I asked if his wife is sewing ( she’s a very gifted seamstress) he said her sewing machine was broke, they had no way to get it fixed....I sent a sewing machine home with him, I had inherited it from an aunt, really didn’t need it, very nice machine, it has sat in a cupboard for 4 years, waiting for someone to need it and it’s staying in the family. She has 3 fairly new grand babies and hasn’t been able to make things for them, I sent probably 15-20 yards of fabric, fleece, Minky, Terry, chenille, and flannel along with some patterns. Stuff that’s been taking up space that I never seem to get around to using. I still have lots, but maybe not a couple lifetimes worth anymore. I seem able to use more the more I give away- at some point maybe I won’t be embarrassed to have someone come into my sewing room. I’ve also made 95 masks now- I know there are people making thousands but I make 5-10 when ever someone I know asks for some, I’m going to start working on another scrap quilt tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:06 AM

Good going ckcowl!

Through a chance encounter here on the forums, I'm going to be sending someone a couple of my donation/thrift store projects to practice long arm quilting on -- ones not even admitted to on my unfinished top album because, well, I didn't make them. Need to put on a couple borders/put together a couple backs before they are truly ready to go but I'm giving myself a week to do it. Isn't all that much really, will fill my hour or so a day of fabric playing needs in a way not involving masks and I am moving yardage!

Yesterday was wash day, had been given two rather large pieces of yardage of unstable dark green hand dye/batiks by my Tuesday group ladies and so boiled them a bit first. Then it was a washer full of stuff, so today it was dryer morning and I'm taking an ironing break. Blech. Hate ironing.

So saying good-bye today to this top that I bought last year/earlier this year. It was two pieces that I put together to make a twin sized project. I still need to square it up, and I might end up chopping off about 6” in length to have it better fit the border/backing and still have enough back for the long arm. I love the elephant stripe I'm using in the border but it has been very hard to use. It was a thrift store purchase and has been in the stash maybe 5 years? I think it holds together all this bright chaos well and I'm so glad it has a project to be used in. I'm having to be a bit fussy about cutting the stripes and will have to piece it together for proper length but then it will just be a plain fabric border.

The large scale bicycle I'm using for the back was another one of those “less than $5 for a back!” buys and I think goes better with this than anything else I can imagine. It has only been in my stash for less than a year, is a Shamash and Sons print, don't run across those very often any more so don't know how long it had been unused in some other stash.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5690.jpg   100_5691.jpg  
Old 05-03-2020, 03:32 PM

Iceblossom - I love both of those fabrics: the elephants and the bicycles. I would have snatched them up too.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I sent my son another 10 yards of fabric, then my brother came up to fix a leaky shower for us, we were talking, I asked if his wife is sewing ( she’s a very gifted seamstress) he said her sewing machine was broke, they had no way to get it fixed....I sent a sewing machine home with him, I had inherited it from an aunt, really didn’t need it, very nice machine, it has sat in a cupboard for 4 years, waiting for someone to need it and it’s staying in the family. She has 3 fairly new grand babies and hasn’t been able to make things for them, I sent probably 15-20 yards of fabric, fleece, Minky, Terry, chenille, and flannel along with some patterns. Stuff that’s been taking up space that I never seem to get around to using. I still have lots, but maybe not a couple lifetimes worth anymore. I seem able to use more the more I give away- at some point maybe I won’t be embarrassed to have someone come into my sewing room. I’ve also made 95 masks now- I know there are people making thousands but I make 5-10 when ever someone I know asks for some, I’m going to start working on another scrap quilt tomorrow.
I bet your SIL did cartwheels when your brother got home. Such a lovely thing to do...
Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM

ckcowl: Wahoo on your destashing by giving others fabric. Plus you are now down one machine. You have a generous heart.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:59 AM

Ok, those borders turned out to be a bit more effort than I had supposed, it's a good thing I had a lot of that elephant fabric because the repeat was something like 11". Following the lines in the fabric, what I used was something like 7.25" cut, my crumb quilter is going to get lots of 4" strips. I had a long talk with myself to start with, that the pattern wasn't that obvious and that I could just cut across the grain and not worry about any of it. There is a deliberate about 1" drift that the strips slant on across the width of the fabric.

Anyway, plenty of fabric and OCD tendencies meant I fussy cut the seams for the borders as well as the cutting line, that's the picture -- just me giving in to my obsessive tendencies.

The Turtle Panel is another thrift store find from last year, again under my price point of $5. The only thing I did was add the realistic rock borders which came from another thrift store scrap. Originally I was going to piece a back using a turtle fabric that has been in the stash for a long time, but for this I decided to use another large scale fish print for the back. It is two different makers, the colors are a bit brighter on the back but that's the nice thing when you are doing realism -- the fish are the same!

Today I have another thrift store piece to put together, it's a simple rail fence. When I bought it, it had a miserable little 2" wide poly blend flimsy green broadcloth border which I took off. I think it needs one more row of blocks for a better size -- even though this is a thrift store find, I have many of the fabrics (or close enough) in my stash and think my row won't be noticeable. Then I will border it with a calico that will also be used for the back but I can't make the back until I know how big the front will be.

edit: I did take off one row of the quilt to make it fit better on the back, with that off I have exactly 4" top and bottom for the long armer! Plenty of extra width on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5703.jpg   100_5700.jpg   100_5704.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-05-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Add picture with border on
Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 AM

Iceblossom, I love the fish with the turtle panel, and all of your bright colors!

ckcowl, it is fun to imagine how happy your SIL was when your brother came home with the sewing machine. Way to go!
Old 05-05-2020, 10:20 AM

Love the elephant border!

Rob
Old 05-06-2020, 08:38 AM

ckcowl....nice going. Your SIL must have been ecstatic!

Ice....I love your colorful projects. So cheerful, just what everyone needs right now.

Yesterday I was working on a throw size scrappy. I required 128 each of mirror image 2-1/2” x 4-1/2” snowballed units. As you know it’s pretty tedious running all those units through the machine and I was day dreaming. 30 units into the second set my brain switched off and I switched back to the opposite corner.....(I need a head-slap emoji).

Looks like I am making a bed size now.

Also I received the second shipment of my order for fabrics I need to finish up other projects. The shop threw in a yard of freebie fabric. Normally I would be pleased and appreciative however I am so into using up my stash that I was annoyed! It’s in the donation pile right now but it might make a cute tote....on the fence right now.