2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Sorry,
I still don't see the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails gedc0170.jpg   gedc0171.jpg   gedc0175.jpg   gedc0177.jpg  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I see your pictures just fine.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM

Nice finishes, Motorcylemad! I'm glad the pictures came through for you.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:49 PM

Cat....your Carolina Crossing is awesome..

Motor...wonderful finishes. I keep meaning to make pillow cases to match my bed quilts but I always get distracted. Lol...

I made a completely unnecessary purchase just because.....a panel that I have no idea why I bought it or what I will make with it but I know you understand..
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:01 PM

Teen, I bought the Texas version of that panel! I plan to use it as the focus in a cowboy quilt with some fabric I found picturing a cattle drive. The bedroom will be in honor of my maternal grandfather, who went on his first cattle drive at the age of 7. He taught me to ride, round up cows, & I admired him. I have one of his branding irons, the bridle to a great horse of his, & his saddle, made in the 1940's. Along with the cattle drive fabric, I'll probably add some bluebonnet fabric, the state flower of Texas. The panel will be toward the top 1/3 of the quilt.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:30 AM

I'm running out of white. Plain white, white on white...ya know all purpose background.
1) I called my lqs who is doing delivery. No white. On order...may 7th...ish
2) went to 2 different Wal-Mart's. The fabric section has been . After they cleaned out the cottonelle, they went for the cotton.

You know its a dog-eat-dog world when the Wal-Mart runs out of fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-01-2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-01-2020, 05:12 AM

I just checked equilter, they still have various whites available. It's taking them about a week or so to ship instead of the usual 48 hours or less, but their computer system is pretty good in terms of tracking what is sold as well as what is still in stock.

I admitted here that I ordered some solid white and black, it's just so versatile and essential to do things with all the wild and crazy stuff. I ordered American Made Brand (looks like they are out of white there now, sorry but as the ads say not sorry!) and really looking forward to the package arriving to see whether or not I like the brand. I sure like it in theory but I've been buying kona for a lot of years.

So during normal times, I would have expected the package maybe last Friday? (I'd have to look on when I actually ordered) and I"m hoping to get it Monday next week. Maybe.

edit: Slapping my hand for fabric enabling! But really, black and white solids are like thread, sort of indispensable for good scrap/stash integration. I know I will use them within the next 5 years which is my criteria for buying. Typically I buy 3 yards of each about every year.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-01-2020 at 05:16 AM. Reason: enabling confession
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Hey, Conchalea, I've given some away but I still have quite a bit of various fabrics from when I was collecting for my cowboy boot project. Many are smaller but some still yardage. If you have something in mind, I just might have it and if I do I'm glad to send it your way -- whether in pictures first or package later format. Don't have much in terms of horse themed fabric, but lots of southwest to Montana style of cowboys, boots and gear, leather looks, large scale pictures, on and on...
Old 05-01-2020, 12:04 PM

This is a bit of a weird one. I picked up a quilt kit from MSQC. The pattern was made with something like 29 x10” squares out of a layer cake they supplied. Unfortunately they weren’t quite 10” square and so I couldn’t make the cuts accurately. I would have been ok using the extras but I didn’t want to use the solids as they stood out too much and the light prints did not have enough contrast. I picked up a couple of charm packs to complete the pattern about one year ago.

I had a lot of leftover fabric including the border print because I couldn’t bring myself to use it for binding, I used something out of my stash instead.

This was my attempt to use up what was left over. I would have been ok with it except I over thought the colour placement. Other than the center I should have cut down the 10” squares and just gone random. Also I made a big mistake cutting the borders. As a result two sides have some rather small pieces joined together and I had to add the corner stones which I don’t like at all.

My mom says she likes it and so I will finish it for her. A learning experience if nothing else.

Attached Thumbnails f56ba40d-cca8-467c-b20c-91b77fa6d1ad.jpeg  
Old 05-01-2020, 12:14 PM

We can be such harsh critics of ourselves. I'm with your mom

But yeah, sometimes we learn something about our projects -- sometimes we go in knowing that in advance and other times it sort of hits us over the head.