Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Congrats on the house for quilting - but it looks like you have your hands busy. Lots of great suggestions...

I'll add one.

Get some of those plug in air fresheners in YOUR FAVORITE flavor and plug 2 or 3 in around the house - it'll help.

Good luck - keep us posted with pictures of before and afters. You'll see the progress too.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Congrats on the house for quilting - but it looks like you have your hands busy. Lots of great suggestions...

I'll add one.

Get some of those plug in air fresheners in YOUR FAVORITE flavor and plug 2 or 3 in around the house - it'll help.

Good luck - keep us posted with pictures of before and afters. You'll see the progress too.
Thank you, yes I have had lot of good suggestions and appreciate them all.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Carol if it gets extremely cold, you might get a smal oil heater that has a thermostat on it looks like an old radiator . We use that in our small office at Church in the winter because of the computer. It takes a long time to heat the room up when you are there working, but it keeps the chill off for the computer. Just a thought. I love the old heaters that you can back up too if it is really cold, but be sure you aren't wearing anything made of polyester or nylon, when back up to it.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM

But West Texas grows on you and after you've been here a while you don't want to leav, or at least you always want to come back. But I was born and raised in the West Texas area, so I love this part of the country.I wasn't born and raised where I live now, I've been here for 40 yrs. so, it's home.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Carol if it gets extremely cold, you might get a smal oil heater that has a thermostat on it looks like an old radiator . We use that in our small office at Church in the winter because of the computer. It takes a long time to heat the room up when you are there working, but it keeps the chill off for the computer. Just a thought. I love the old heaters that you can back up too if it is really cold, but be sure you aren't wearing anything made of polyester or nylon, when back up to it.
Thanks Gerbie, I will keep that in mind. I do think I will need to get another one of some kind. There is only the one in the living room although that is all my elderly neighbor had when lived there.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned

Wow congratulations on your new sewing house, I would be happy with a room to sew in, but a whole house. I would think I have gone to heaven. Have fun and show us pictures. God bless. Penny
Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 AM

If you live anywhere south of Lubbock (and that includes most of Texas), I'd definitely look into installing a central a/c-heating unit. That wouldn't add all that much cost, considering what the house cost, and it would save you a lot of grief over many years and make your working conditions more comfortable. Humidity is the big bugaboo down here, and it does its dastardly (and silent) damage both summer AND winter. (So much for alliteration for one day. <G>) Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 AM

I have read through this entire thread with interest because we have an 1920's empty farmhouse that was completely remodeled in the 70's with central air and heat (oil) on our farm, which we bought in '89. We lived in that house until we built our new house(on the farm)in 2002. Since moving into the new house, we have only allowed our grown children & families to live in the house until they could relocate; therefore, the house is in pretty decent shape. I have been contemplating moving my sewing/quilting/crafts into that house and was wondering about the necessity for keeping the oil furnace on in the Winter (down into the teens) and the AC in the Summer (90's -110 this year). I know the oil does put out soot around the floor vents and the humidity can get fairly high in the Summer without the AC on; but, it is about 2400sq ft. and I hate the expenses that they create. Can anyone tell me if it will harm the equiptment, including a LA if the AC only ran in the warmest hrs & the furnace in the coldest hrs.?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Your sewing house will mean so much more to you when you are ready to sit down and sew! Make sure you have TWO comfy chairs there - one for you and one for your best helper!! You are so lucky to have such a handy man for a husband! I'd also have a little frig and a maybe a microwave - just to have some snacks on hand.

You are doing a great job with the cleaning. I have used "Greased lightening" a lot but have had no luck with the 'awsome' stuff from the dollar store. And I had to get the Greased Lightening at my hardware store - couldn't get it at the grocery or Walmart!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Also, wanted to congratulate you on your purchase and don't envy you one bit for the amount of work that you are in for. I agree with previous board members who have questioned how anyone could live under such filthy conditions. A couple more products you might try that I have found are very helpful is WD-40 for grease and GOO GONE for really sticky things. Good luck with your endeavor. Jinnie