Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM

First, sometimes you just gotta do something for "YOU", that is why I started to quilt. I sewed a LOT when my kids were little. Now they are all grown and have kids of their own. I found myself very depressed, all I did was eat, sleep and work, (not necessarily in that order). I am much happier now. I mean MUCH happier. I think I am a lot easier to be around, as well. I did have my DH comment one day that I was spending a lot of time and money on my "habit", but it is my time and my money!! He loves to fish, so all I did is tell him that I would give up quilting if he gave up fishing. End of discussion!! Now he even helps me find Quilt shops during our travels, and he even goes in and helps me pick stuff out!! I am sure your DD has something she likes to do, point that out to her, it will allow her to understand better! Besides, you can NEVER have too many quilts!!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 AM

For me quilting is my sanity, I am on a fixed income but I can still make quilts like my grandmother just recycle fabric. I find fabric in a lot of places garage sales, thrift stores, friends... Another place to think of for quilts is orphanages, those children will really appreciate a quilt just for them. Your daughter should look at the love you are sharing some things just don't have a price tag. good luck and who knows the more you do the better you get.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Oh, my gosh ... I can't imagine someone not liking your quilts. Please, please
share them with us via photos. Even though we all make quilts, we do also love
to purchase from others. You know they will be appreciated here!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM

You could find out if there are any benifets going on and donate your quilts to be raffled to raise money for a good cause.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM

There are ALWAYS charities that would love quilts. Or as someone said do a garage sale. You will get some money and someone will get an heirloom quilt at a great price. Just keep doing what you love.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Hi...I have never responded before but i felt this one needed attention.I just want you to know that i quilt for the military.. The men and women love getting quilts that have been made with so much LOVE ! I just donated 4 prayer shawls to a cancer fund raiser and down by L.A. called A Daughters Heart. There is people out there that LOVE quilts and they don't have to be perfect.As the saying goes nothing is perfect but GOD! Have a great day and God Bless you!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM

It's OK to do something you love to do. It's OK to spend money. (money is for spending) You're daughter is too young to understand everything. Life is too short to be unhappy. Quilt & be happy. You'll figure out what to do with your quilts when the time comes, or let your daughter deal with them when you're gone. Join a quilting club, or send photos of your quilts here for others to admire. We're all in this together.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

If your family doesn't appreciate the love of your quilts there are many who have nothing and they bring BIG smiles from getting them. I helped make 17 quilts for a store, free gifts, for a group of people who are so poor that they have 5 or 6 people in one room to live. The colors were so appreciated and LOVED. You could be a drinker instead of creating beautiful gifts of love.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM

My daughter is the same way. She will say a quilt is nice, but she doesn't really get into quilting. She's actually said the same thing about what is she going to do with the quilts after I'm gone! My grandson (her son, who's 6) wants to me make him all kinds of different quilts - he loves them. Also my son loves my quilts. I've made him two. So quilt because you love to do it and don't worry about what was said by your daughter, she just doesn't understand, but we do!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Here is the website for Project Linus. My daughters and I quilt for them and we enjoy it so much. Find a chapter near you. They need different size quilts, some sizes more than others. For example, my chapter needs quilts for teenagers all the time. Check with your chapter and see what size they are in need of the most.

www.projectlinus.org

Vanessa