Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 AM

Use what you have, this would be fine. Bless you for doing this.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

A nice bright "happy quilt" would be loved...bright & cheery. Food, spittle, urine, etc. will all land on this quilt, but you are making it with love...and respect. Ask your MIL to shop with you. You don't need to buy the most expensive fabric, just something soft and cuddly! And as hard as it may be, ask your MIL to help with the quilt. She sounds like a very lonely woman and is probably scared watching her mother in the nursing home...knowing she's next in line! She probably feels useless. Show us your quilt when you finish it! Good luck! My prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Do you remember the lady who was only paid $20 for the baby quilt? Do not let the details of this quilt come between you and your MIL. Maybe she does not expect to pay you at all? What were her expectations? Perhaps you could suggest she buy the material she wants you to use?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
K. I was misunderstanding the question.

Buy the fabric according to the directions. The "scraps" are yours to keep. Still ask MIL her opinion on the colors.

And...she's lonely. It's not that she needs help, she needs attention. Which is a whole 'nother topic. ;)
I am taking MIL with me to Joanns to buy the fabric, and your right she's lonely, but thats her fault. She'd still be married if she wasn't such a b......., even DH says so.

anytime she starts a sentence out with "LISTEN, ...... we cring[/quote]

Lonliness is the main cause of depression in the oldies. Maybe ya'll could visit MIL a couple of times a month and try to help with her lonliness. (and some of her little chores) She is your husbands mother and even if she is difficult, she is still his mother. My DHs mother didn't even want to meet her son's wife the first year and it took her 15 years to finally accept me. I was to call her and his dad by their first names. I perserveared(sp) and didn't sweat the small stuff. But the only time she ever asked me to make something for her I did it right away. When she (your MIL)is gone, she will be gone for a long time. My daughter took care of her MIL in the NH for 8 years and that was one manipulative woman!
Put yourself in her shoes. Think about the things she asks of ya'll as if you were asking your own child. OK, now Listen....
Help her with love! Also, let her buy the fabric. Don't expect to be paid. This should be a gift of love. Hope I didn't step on any toes.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I think a lap quilt would be nice, if shes up in a wheelchair it would cover her legs, also sometimes in nursing homes things disapear. use what you have add an extra border.
I agree with the lap quilt. Any quilt pattern can generally be sized for the lap. For one thing, it won't take you as long and not a lot of time will be invested. Two, even if she is confined to a bed, the smaller quilt is still a warm comfort. Many seem to want the quilts/blankets closer to their faces to be 'closer' to family. Less to pull up and wrap around or cuddle with. (Caretaker for 4 years, had plenty of experience in nursing homes). If you are the one sewing and purchasing, convince MIL of what you can do to make sure the quilt is finished in short time. It really is meaningful for family to have the quilt there for comfort, even if she doesn't know who you are. Sew the label on so it cannot be removed from the quilt. Put her name in the sewing/quilting pattern-perhaps there would be less chance for theft. Talk to the administrator about the quilt when you take it over to her. Helps to have witnesses. Been through this, precious item taken from MIL before she passed. And now we are going through this with my mother. Bless you for doing this for her. Something to think about-Will the quilt go with her when she passes, or will a family member inherit it?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth – if what you have in your stash is already assigned to a project then you need to allow her to buy new material but I wouldn’t buy more then what is required to make the pattern. As far as her being needy you do not indicate if this is how she is as a norm – but I think that maybe by having to put her mom in a nursing home she is upset about that and more to the heart she might be thinking “I’m not that far from being here” maybe this is a reality check.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM

It doesn't seem as if you really want to do this. Why don't you buy a quilt from a store and embellish a bit and also put her name on it? In this way if it is taken, you won't care as much.
Would it help to put yourself in her position and think how wonderful it would be for someone to take some time doing this. Even if SHE doesn't know, YOU have done a great blessing from your heart.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

You could always make a matching pillowcase with the extra fabric.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM

I agree
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Make her the quilt useing what you have. It maybe just the thing to give your DH's granny a big boost by bringing back some precious memories for her.