Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM

I don't throw anything away. Ask my DH. heheeh!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't throw anything away. Ask my DH. heheeh!
oh brother, lol...we are going to drag the dh's into this???
ok, I'll put my red, shame face on now, bc I know what mine would say...:shock: :XD:
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM

I am good at purging stuff when it gets a bit old, but I usually pass it onto a friend so that I don't feel guilty. I told her I don't care if you throw it away, but I can't do it.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 AM

um....not very good!!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM

I not only keep the scraps, but the "thread garbage" too.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Well, don't tell, but this year I gave myself permission to throw away a partially finished quilt that I absolutely hated. It's true, it went in the trash. No attempt to recycle, give away, etc.

I've sent boxes of fabrics, scraps, unwanted items to a couple of people from QB. Last time was a jam packed full paper carton! Hopefully they can use them, it's worth the postage to get it out of my way.

There is also a shop in a town about 40 minutes away that accepts donations of any and all craft items, from scrapbooking to clock making. They sell the items to raise money for local senior citizens.
Oh, DEAR! That freaks me out. Of course, I have some of those deep in the closet.....but, throw away. Bite your tongue!

:lol: Some charitable group would have finished it for the homeless. They don't mind the construction or the design. All they want is the warmth.

I'm not scolding. I am just amazed that you had the courage to throw it away. I'll bet my DH would love to see me with so much gumption.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Gave a lot to other quilting ladies.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 AM

I have this long piece of scrap about 1/2 " X 6' and my hubby noticed it was tied around a tree. Wondering what the significance was he asked. I told him I was marking the tree for the tree feller to be cut down, I wanted him to make sure that was the correct tree to cut.. Yep he laughed!
Just one more use of scrap.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM

I used to throw all my tiny scraps out until I read on this QB that
they are great for doggie beds for the RSPCA. I hadn't heard of this before so rang them here in Brisbane, Australia and was told that the dogs just love them. Since then all my tiny pieces of cotton material go into a bag especially for the animals. This has made such a difference to me - I will even bend down to pick up a dropped scrap off the floor for the doggies. Apparently the animals that have been found or handed in for adoption feel that these are just for them and get very attached to them. I usually make the bag the size of a pillowslip and leave one end open until the bag is filled to snuggle size for the new occupant.
My machines are all industrial so I make a small hole in the underside of the bench on the left side for a screw eye to hold the bag for my scraps. Underneath on the right side I have a
bin for rubbish. This all helps to keep "stuff" off the floor and helps with cleaning up. Hope this helps someone. I get really excited about my doggie scraps being the animal lover that I am. Lol gleniveve
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Gleniveve, what good ideas. I'm going to make a pillow form to hang from the side of the machine and put the scraps in directly.
My own pups love warm snugglies. My son and DDIL's three big dogs think the wool sofa pillows I appliqued for them (DS&DIL!) are dog cushions/toys.