Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for this cute thread, I read all of them

Ok, I skipped ahead and read only 6 pages of this thread and i just have to put in my two cents worth.
Texan by birth, raised in El Paso and have the certificate for braggin' rights :D
Now in OK. for 20 years... there are TWO university teams OSU Cowboys and OU Sooners (ok, there are more but...)

Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
I am a born-breed-lived here all my life Georgia peach!

We are edumacated...sum of us are even 10th grad graduates from the University. That makes most of us dawgs...more exact...BullDawgs. We bleed red and black and MUST pass thru Athens to get to Heaven.

A lot of us drive them ole pick-me up trucks...gotta have somethin for the in-laws to live in. No room in the shack. We use trees for outhouses. Coka-cola is our drink of choice along with some of Jimmy's peanuts. Moonpies are a main dish. Southern fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, fried okry, and a mess of collard greens and chittlins with SWEET tea and watermelon is the BEST Sunday dinner ya'll ever had. Don't make fun of our Southern drawl...it's taken us years to perfect it. We fly ALL flags... American, Confederate, State of Georgia, and of course...NASCAR. We love every one...cept for that General Sherman dude. Him not nice...think he's got a fire-fettish! Hot in Georgia makes the Devil think he's at the North Pole.

(please take with the humor intended) Gotta admit...the pickup trucks do help with the hauling of new sewing machines and fabric!

God Bless America and God Bless All of our friends across the world!
I like you Monkeegirl. Bet we would be good friends. True southern ladies. :thumbup:
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

In Boston there really are some people who don't pronounce their "R" s and it sounds really strange to the rest of us too.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM

If you say you live in Louisiana, it seems that the only city people from other states recognize is New Orleans. There's a world of difference between North Louisiana and South Louisiana!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 PM

Yes, there's a huge difference! I was born in Monroe and my family is in the Northeast of the state. New Orleans/South LA is like another country!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sadheart
Ha ha I so hope that you enjoy my state. . .
No we are not all Mormon. We will not run you out of town if you won't be baptized. Yes we are Christians.
There are more cities in Salt Lake County than Salt Lake. ha ha ha
Yes you can buy a drink in the bar. But you might have to buy the membership first. (Although they were trying to change that law last year).
O yaa Pologymy is still practiced. But not approved of. Usually not by Mormons.
O and least of but not last Yes Utah is a state. It is on the map right between Colorado and Neveda and its south of Idaho and north of Arizona
Have a great day Ladies
My sister - non Mormon - got her Master's degree from BYU. She was definitly in the minority on campus.
I remember about not being able to buy beer except at a State Liquor store. In Arizona we buy our beer, wine, etc at the local grocery store.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM

No, we don't have kangaroos/koalas for pets.
Yes, we do live in houses - and have indoor plumbing.
Yes, we do speak English. We do have supermarkets, banks, etc.

Amazing how many people when you say you live in Australia say, "Then you must know my cousin, neighbour, friend, etc, he/she lives in Australia" ! Australia is a BIG country. For example, Queensland is 3 times BIGGER than the UK - and that is just one State! Western Australia occupies the entire Western third of Australia, and is two thirds the size of Europe.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM

Missouri is not Missery, I like it here, you really pronounce it Missouri not Misora, everyone here seems to think you have to like the Cardinals and the Rams,or the Royals and the Cheifs, you CANNOT like both, I would rather be quilting so I don't favor either one, I do have to say that the motto "The Show Me State" implies that we are stupid and you have to show us how to do something, but it really means tha we are not easily swayed by eloquent words and you have to literly show us that you mean buisness, and you better be able to back up those words!!!LOL
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
People think CA and think nothing but masses of people and overpriced properties-not true, especially in northeast CA.
Except when you live in the bay area. Wall to wall people.