Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Well, my latest email to WM got the response that they were replacing the craft & fabrics and i quote: "In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.
I responded that is of little interest to me and I will avoid shopping WM when other stores are more convenient. Give me a break: life's celebrations!! sounds like managementspeak to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Walmarts loss is the internet's gain, and Joann's and Hancock's. One of the best markets is RIGHT HERE!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Walmarts loss is the internet's gain, and Joann's and Hancock's. One of the best markets is RIGHT HERE!
I agree - where would we be without the internet! I live at least an hour from a quilt shop so I do make use of internet shopping a lot! However, there is nothing better than being able to go to a brick and mortar store and touch the fabric and get inspired by the quilts on display or taking classes.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dianne1
Our Walmart in Clanton, Alabama is supposed to cut out the bolts sometime this spring. However in the last tweo weeks we have been getting in sooo much fabric by the bolt. Most of it is 100% cotton and priced at $4.97 a yard but there is more coming every week. I keep thinking this is some other Walmarts fabric that closed their dept. Hope I am wrong and that the fabric keeps on coming.
You probably have hit the nail on the head! That is exactly what they are doing.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pat P
You are so right. When I was complaining to the Walmart that is what I told them. I also told them they would lose a lot of business because if I had to go elsewhere to pick up the fabric etc I would certainly not be picking up the grocery or other odds and ends at Walmart anymore because that is what we do---go in for one thing and come out with additional things.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Well, my latest email to WM got the response that they were replacing the craft & fabrics and i quote: "In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.
I responded that is of little interest to me and I will avoid shopping WM when other stores are more convenient. Give me a break: life's celebrations!! sounds like managementspeak to me.
What a load of crap! We have Wally's Card & Party Factory here. I buy my party stuff there. It's cheaper. They have quite a few stores in Texas, Ok., La, & maybe Ark. What kind of crafts are they thinking about. You can only make so many of those foam things & besides that Oriental Trading Post has anything you could possiblity want.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM

I was in our Walmart fabric department yesterday (looking for holiday fabric on sale). There we boxes and boxes of fabric to be put out. I guess ours isn't going anywhere anytime soon!!

BTW, I got some good holiday fabric for 86 cents/yard. Woohoo!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Our Ben Franklin store burned down and that was our best fabric place -boy, they had aisle after aisle. So many of the workers there then started at Ace Hardware. Guess what? Within a year, Ace now also has fabric!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
Our Ben Franklin store burned down and that was our best fabric place -boy, they had aisle after aisle. So many of the workers there then started at Ace Hardware. Guess what? Within a year, Ace now also has fabric!
Where in Wisconsin? We travel to Wisconsin often and I would never think of looking in a hardware store for fabric.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by sisLH
Where in Wisconsin? We travel to Wisconsin often and I would never think of looking in a hardware store for fabric.
Waupun Wisconsin