Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM

I hand quilt all my hand pieced quilts and machine the machine pieced ones. 2 were send to a longarm quilter as they were wedding gifts and I simply ran out of time.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM

I quilt my own, some by hand, some by machine. enjoy the whole process.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Picking out my pattern and sewing the top together, I do all my quilting otherwise I wouldn't feel like I made it.
I don't do that great yet, but I'm working on it. I'm going to start FM after I finish the quilt I'm doing now I'm ditching it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM

I will quilt the smaller ones myself (be it by machine or by hand). I have a great and inexpensive overall pattern machine quilter that send out to in Montana (large quilts of which I make many). As much as I love to hand quilt, it just takes me sooo longgg to do that I loose interest and have to put it away and do something else for a while. Eventually, I finish the project. I love choosing the fabric and seeing how it all comes together. Hate the cutting part, but it's part of the whole process. When I'm done, I usually give it away as a gift and htat's the best part. Seeing the joy on someones face is priceless. It's all worth it. Happy Quilting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I'm new to quilting (about 9 months now) but I have quilted every project I've completed. Starting out just doing SnD, and then I was able to get a Mega Quilter (9in throat space) and quilt them on a frame with a Q-Bot.

So when I say "I" quilt them, it's really the computer, but I still have to line up the pattern etc.

One of these days I will get the courage to try and free hand something. But I need to get some muslin and practice, practice, practice! :)

Ok I need to know what kind of setup you have that a computer does all the work?? Please

I like seeing the process from beginning to end. Just the way I am though. :)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 PM

I love it all from start to finish. Its such a joy to create something that someone can use for warmth or just to snuggle under
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I'm just curious- because I love every aspect of quilt making-from planning, choosing and buying fabrics, and piecing. But my most favorite part is quilting! I can't wait to get the top finished (although I HATE the sandwiching part!) and get started FM quilting it! How many of you quilt your own quilts? And what's your favorite part of the quilt process?
I used to hand quilt my quilts but last year I started sending them out. I don't have her do a lot of fancy stitching because I want my family to use the quilts that they ask for. Mine are not show quilts. The best part is the planning and trying to figure out what style of quilt they will like - I try to match something to their personality. Hope that makes sense!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

A lot of people agree, I don't feel its "all mine" if I send it out to be LA'd. I would love my own longarm, just not in the cards financially. Neither is sending a quilt out. So I get the stiff shoulders, backache, etc just like everyone else, but can really enjoy it when its all complete. I love designing/piecing the top, but the quilting designs/thread choices can really make or break the whole project. Those are my fave parts
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM

I quilt all of my quilts, mostly by hand. It takes longer, but I like the whole process and hand quilting is the most relaxing thing I do. I'm still working on getting better with my quilting and even though other people could do a better job, I like doing it myself. Plus, it can get really expensive having it done by someone else.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM

I quilt all of my quilts, mostly by hand. It takes longer, but I like the whole process and hand quilting is the most relaxing thing I do. I'm still working on getting better with my quilting and even though other people could do a better job, I like doing it myself. Plus, it can get really expensive having it done by someone else.