Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you quilt your own tops? >
  • How many of you quilt your own tops?

• How many of you quilt your own tops?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm with Janet, I hand quilt my own personel quilts and machine quilt the quilts for Kids4You, they require all quilts be machine quilted so they can with stand lots of washings.
    Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM

I have been quilting for four years and use my domestic machine. I am able to quilt along the ditch to anchor the quilt then I either echo quilt, meander, trace around some of the designs, do circles. I have traced patterns on a few, but that is my least favorite thing to do. I quilt my tops so they are completely mine. They may not have the flourish feathers and swirls of the LA, but they are mine. If I were younger and not retired I would learn how to use one and rent the time, but fabric is expensive and I don't have the funds to purchase one. I do love admiring others quilts at shows that have been beautifully quilted.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
    I have been quilting for four years and use my domestic machine. I am able to quilt along the ditch to anchor the quilt then I either echo quilt, meander, trace around some of the designs, do circles. I have traced patterns on a few, but that is my least favorite thing to do. I quilt my tops so they are completely mine. They may not have the flourish feathers and swirls of the LA, but they are mine. If I were younger and not retired I would learn how to use one and rent the time, but fabric is expensive and I don't have the funds to purchase one. I do love admiring others quilts at shows that have been beautifully quilted.
    I agree, I agree, I agree.
    we do what we can with what we have and can afford. I am a retired widow....I do all my own quilting, good, bad and sometimes ugly, but it is mine, all mine....
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM

I quilt my own quilts on my domestic sewing machine. I needed to learn to do this as the cost of sending it out to be done would mean I wouldn't be able to afford it and I loved quilting too much to give it up. I do have some quilt tops unfisihed of course and I have one quilt which was for our main bed which was too big for me to manage on my machine but I make mainly single (twin) bed size quilts and I can do those.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i quilt my own- and those of others..turn around time depends on the quilter.
    there is a list of long-armer's on the board---you can contact one in your area and ask all kinds of questions- including what (her/his) turn around time is- most of the people i know try to stay within a couple weeks- but i also know quilters who are months and years... everyone is different. i don't like having customer quilts sitting around my house- too worried about something happening---so i (try) to get them done when they come in- and out as quick as possible...but that's me---and there have been a few times when i have been over a month getting one done---each quilt is as individual as each of us-
    as for pricing- that varies as much as everything else too- some quilters charge by the square inch- some charge by the quilt= some only do panto's- some do only custom quilting---lots of differences-prices=turn arounds- locations- policies.
    I've searched the board and can't find where the list is Please help! I'd love to talk to someone in my area.
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM

I quilt what I can on my domestic machine. I also hand quilt special projects. I have yet to send one out, but I'm sure it's in my future. A local LA quilter charges $.01 per inch for an all over design and she guarantees 30 days back to you. Custom quilting is much higher.
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM

I do my own, it is the icing on the cake of making the quilt. I'm trying to learn FMQ and I love the possibilities that will come with practice, I hope I hope I hope.
    Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM

I quilt my little tops, some lap quilts and all my table runners. I have a wonderful person who does my large quilts for me. The tunr-around time is 1 to 2 weeks depending on when I make it back to the big city.
    Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM

I do my own quilting on my domestic sewing machine
    Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i quilt my own- and those of others..turn around time depends on the quilter.
    there is a list of long-armer's on the board---you can contact one in your area and ask all kinds of questions- including what (her/his) turn around time is- most of the people i know try to stay within a couple weeks- but i also know quilters who are months and years... everyone is different. i don't like having customer quilts sitting around my house- too worried about something happening---so i (try) to get them done when they come in- and out as quick as possible...but that's me---and there have been a few times when i have been over a month getting one done---each quilt is as individual as each of us-
    as for pricing- that varies as much as everything else too- some quilters charge by the square inch- some charge by the quilt= some only do panto's- some do only custom quilting---lots of differences-prices=turn arounds- locations- policies.
    I've searched the board and can't find where the list is Please help! I'd love to talk to someone in my area.
    Sent you a pm with a quilting board member that has quilted mine and she lives in Wisconsin.