Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who else is dealing with this extreme heat? >

Who else is dealing with this extreme heat?

Who else is dealing with this extreme heat?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Wemoved here from Denver, Colorado14 years ago. We would have at least 2 weeks in the triple digits( the hottest I remember was 109 but it was a dry heat. We didn't even have AC until a couple of years before we moved to KY.
Originally Posted by Rene Marshall
Yes California heat is extreme but at least it is dry, here in the land of HEAT and HUMIDITY it is much worse.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM

You'd think I would be used to it since I live in South Carolina- but this summer has been the hottest in more than 50 years and there are still people without air conditioning
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Man, I hate to jinx it by repeating what my fellow California quilters have been reporting.... But here goes - We've stayed in the mid-80's almost all summer. Upland is east of LA about 50 miles (inland) and we are in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. It will usually hit the 90s for days on end, and then a few strings of 100+ days - but this year (so far) has been beautiful! Of course, "summer" does continue into October usually. I'm sorry to all of you who are suffering so! I HATE the heat!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Ohmigosh this heat is crazy!!!!! It's 97 with a heat index of 112 derees. I need to go to town but it's too hot. Ppl around here are not used to this kind of weather. All it does is remind me of Cali heat.
That's about what is was in Lexington KY. Walked out to my garden at the back of the yard and I was soaking wet by the time I got there( distance of about 100 feet)!
I was in Lexington last weekend. It was hot!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Oh YES I am sick of this heat. I open the door to let my little dog out and it just chokes me. He doesn't stay out long either. ha And its be triple digits all week. No relief in site. Yes we had plenty of snow last winter, but I am so ready for more. We've managed to have enough rain to keep things green around here. We have grass that can be cut today and need it again tomorrow. Ugh! Oh well, summer in Oklahoma. But I have lived other places and this is the best. Just stay in and quilt. Quilting is not only a winter thing, keeps us in out of the heat in the summer.

Mrs. I
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM

It finally cooled off a bit the last couple of days - in the 80's! But the temps are headed back up and should hit 100 by mid-week. Humidity has been up too, so heat index has been in triple digits. However, we love it here in eastern Kansas.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 PM

Okay, windy here has a little story. My maternal grandmother was of the old school. She wore a scarf on her head and long dresses. She never allowed anyone to see her ankles so she wore cotton stockings that were tied at her knee so they would not fall down. In the heat of the summer she would take the wash pan on the back porch and dip a dipper of water from the water bucket we kept on the porch. She sat down and took her shoes and stockings off, one at a time. She would dip her foot in the water and play with it for a spell while she fanned herself with her apron. She kept that black scarf on and tied tightly. She said if she didn't have it on her brain would fester and she couldn't think!! If she heard anyone approaching she would take her foot out of the water and spread her skirt over it, because it was uncomely for anyone, especially men folks, to see her ankles. But she kept cool, playing in the water. I doubt she ever heard of a swimming pool or shower. I run cold water over my arms and hands a lot in the summer, but never my feet....but it's been a thought lately.

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Its been in the high 80s and 90s here for a couple weeks. God bless.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM

I too am having trouble with my knees here in Ontario.
Last yr was so cool I sewed all summer. Had a cool but pleasant winter in south west Fl so I could sew.
Now feel like reading as the lady in Fl --doing nothing productive & still feel terrible.

got relief today -Sat.

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
It is 64 and kinda cloudy 71% humidity. A cool day. I was thinking of going to the fair today but the fairgrounds are right on the beach and it is cold up there today. I think I have decided to pass this year on going to the fair. I think with this weird weather the arthritis in my knees has made it so I can't walk around a whole lot.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 PM

I found this pic from last winter. Gosh it is hot here.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93348.jpe