Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >
  • Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

• Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 PM

I bougth three quilt kits precut. One was given to an elderly lady as a gift, the 2nd I made the top and it was a beautiful black and tan pinwheel which I donated, and the third was a lone star that my Aunt was supposed to do for me--I never saw or heard from her after that.
    Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Our WM downsized and usually there is no one there to cut the fabric and then after ringing the bell, you wait and wait.
    I found some great fabric on sale at the alwaysopenquiltshop.com for $3. and with shipping (they charge exactly what it costs, it came to $4. a yard. Worth looking into. Happy Quilting.
    Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 AM

I recently moved to NM from MA and I found a Walmart Superstore that now has fabric by the yard. There were some great deals and it was so nice to see the expanded department. Hope it continues to grow and gain popularity!
    Old 10-17-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by maria zamora
    This is the first time I log in to this site. I am so glad to know that Walmart will be selling fabrics again. I live in Tucson, Az. Three years ago I went to care for my mother in Brownsville, Texas. When I got there I was very upset to see that she was wearing horrible old faded hospital gowns. When I confronted my siblings about the condition of the gowns. They claimed that they didn't know where to buy new ones. I went to two different walmart and I discovered that they were closing their fabric department. The third store I went to still had lots of fabrics. I bought enough fabrics to make my Mom One gown for each day of the week. She wore them with pride and it made her very happy. Three years later she went to her eternal home. When people greeted me at her funeral service they would let me know how my mother made sure that everyone knew, that her daughter, had made her those beautiful gowns with happy colors. I brought those gowns with me when I came back to Tucson. Every time I see them I smile and I can still see her face beaming with joy. I cannot go to Walmart without visiting the fabric department. vangel in Tucson
    What a beautiful story. My mom died 24yrs ago, but I can still see her making her gowns before she went into the hospital. My children have worn so many pajamas made with love from Walmart fabric. Maybe instead of sending petitions to Walmart Corp, we need to send stories like yours to remind them why their fabric dept is so important to us.
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
    i recently purchased a precut quilt kit at the local walmart (where there used to be a full fabric department) in hopes of getting a quilt quickly finished and sent off as a baby gift. not only were the instructions hazy, the fabric was short of the indicated colors, and there was twice as much of the wrong color--even more than was needed for the backing. ( this wasn't obvious until i'd already cut 2/3 of the fabric according to their directions.) i tried to find matching fabric at a local fabric store to no avail--ended up buying totally unrelated fabric to try to cobble something together. i contacted the company that packaged it, and after two weeks have had no satisfaction, and no satisfying response.) i long for the days of their full fabric department. and i'll never bother to buy one of their kits again, either-- more trouble than it was worth--and it's still unfinished. didn't need another UFO, right now...
    i should clarify--the "precut" part was just prepackaged fabric, cut and packaged overseas, and marketed here as "ready to cut and use". big point is--i really MISS having a real person with real fabric in that store. i hope they do bring it back, and soon!
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 AM

That is good news, we've really shown Wal-Mart what we want with our voices and our money! Sadly, when we go to Wal-Mart for one thing, we always buy other items.
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 AM

I forgot to say thanks for the research report!
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 AM

For some of us, being able to buy WM fabric makes the difference in being able to quilt or not. I really hope they bring back the fabric dept. Not pre-cuts, but the full blown fabric dept.
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 AM
    Re

I have purchased fabric at Wal-Mart myself....fabric I couldn't find elsewhere. Also, if you have a Hobby Lobby near you they have some nice fabric, as well....
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 AM

I'll beleive it when I see it.