Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 AM

First of all, I would advise that you have a medical check - up just to make sure everything is OK. Thyroid problems can cause energy and anxiety problems. You can chat things over with your doctor as well. Then, if everything is sorted and you feel the inclination, get back into the sewing.
Lots of people have a tendency to dismiss 'women's crafts' - (usually those who don't know or care what is involved) so a humorous way that I have to ignore them is to call them "Philistines" (in my head, not out loud). I don't try to change the attitude and I don't allow them to change mine. Sewing is therapeutic as well as fun. Even if you just get out your material and move it about a bit - it doesn't matter. Do as you like with it.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:44 AM

I believe there are times all of us are in the same mental place you are in, give it time don't force it. I have been accused of collecting fabric and quilt magazines. But I get motivation from the magazines, books and fabric and then I can't wait to get into my sewing space. It will happen.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 AM

First thing do not listen to any body may let u down. Some men think there items, work, books is the perfect and more useful ....
If u have private place to keep your machine ,fabrics, notions, keep it busy with your thing and that makes your hand and mind think about them and easy to reach.
If u busy at work, husband, child with collecting from school, homework, chores that make spare time very little for hobbies .
But after and before u want to do what u LOVE to do 4 YOUR SELF
so make small projects and pick easy ones for example squares (big not small one) in the end it is quilt and it will finish quickly and nice.
Time will change .
Good luck
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 AM

Do you have physical tiredness or emotional ? When raising my 4, I found I really was tired of being a sounding board for everyone. Listening to, and replaying their problems in my head, my mind and emotions where gone by the time I got home. I had nothing for myself or children. Protect yourself from co workers who gossip and don't carry any around , it's heavy. Do you have an emotional vampire at work who drains you? These are people who talk about me ,myself and I. My problems should be your concern and know every thing about them. They drain you ever so cleverly.

On your way home listen to a book on tape soft music nothing which takes energy. Ease up on yourself. This isn't a race.

I do about 10 to 12 quilts a year. But I need to protect myself from those people who use and abuse me. I haven't always been this productive for many years I had to step back and live with life's problems. I still work 40 plus hours a week. Babysit grandchildren, help children and grandchildren move into different homes, etc, etc, Relax. You sound like myself a few years ago. I think I know you or do you know me? Maybe we are sisters! :lol: :mrgreen: :D
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Being creative is not a straight line, it is a up and down line. We all need to pull back and let our inner artist rest and refresh. All creative people do this, writers, painters, all artists. Rather than punish yourself and replay other negative messages allow yourself to take a break. You are not a factory, nor are you a machine. I would suggest you clean the sewing room, clean the machine, organize your stash and then shut the door for at least a week. If you have other passions, reading, cooking, crochet, walking in the rain or taking imaginary trips to Europe then do that. The urge, the need to go back will surface when ready and you can answer that call. I once took a whole year off to learn and do book binding. I came back to sewing renewed and recharged. What you should never do is let others define you. Even done in a loving way, with genuine concern it is destructive. They do not live in your skin and may have their own agenda. For what ever reason they offer an opinion remember only you can define who you are. Turn off those voices and when people inquire tell them your inner quilter is on a vacation, hopefully to a sunny local with good local red wine and handsome charming waiters who love to bring you great food and call you La Bella Donna
kellen46, I shall print out your kind words and frame them and hang on my kitchen wall right above the coffee maker. Thank You!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
if you work all day and drive an hour I can see why you can't get enthused :roll: give yourself a break and just meditate for awhile
Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 AM

I am new to this list and a new quilter, but here is a suggestion. When I was working full-time as a nurse and raising six children (while going through a divorce also), it was always hard to get going on anything different. What worked for me was making a list allowing myself time for myself. Set aside one thing a night you need to do but then one night could be dedicated to quilting or your quilting room organization. You may just need to get into the easier world of following a schedule at home. Good luck. Pauline
Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 AM

I am new to this list and a new quilter, but here is a suggestion. When I was working full-time as a nurse and raising six children (while going through a divorce also), it was always hard to get going on anything different. What worked for me was making a list allowing myself time for myself. Set aside one thing a night you need to do but then one night could be dedicated to quilting or your quilting room organization. You may just need to get into the easier world of following a schedule at home. Good luck. Pauline
Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Invite a friend over that also quilts...make it a fun day and help inspire each other to do a UFO..if you have the time make it a weekly event...sometimes when we are down it helps to have a friend to encourage us on..and it makes great fun...have PB&J sandwiches and chocalate..how can you go wrong..blessings
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOU!! I think this happens to everyone. Life get's in the way. I go in spirts with my quilting. I find I do it mostly in the winter as I have to much going on in the summer. I'll go to my design studio and putttss. I'm up here to quilt but I'll rearrange fabric, look at books.... I am making a large lap quilt for my friend and the majority of the block were on my design wall for almost a year. Finally, top is done. In the process of quilting and she will get it for christmas.

Bottom line, I think you need to be in the right mind set to be creative. My husband tells me the same thing sometimes and I just say, " WHAT - DID YOU SAY SOMETHING?????""" I can't hear you-lalalalala. Have a good one!!! :thumbup: