Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 AM

I didn't start seriously crafting/quilting until my youngest was a junior in high school. I have always done something as far as crafting goes. I went through the counted cross stitch phase, then I crocheted like mad, but when my oldest child started toddling, she kept taking my projects out of my hands. That's when I quit for about 17 years. I just couldn't work full time, maintain a household, a marriage and put a lot of time into my hobbies. Give yourself a break and look at what your life is demanding that you do right now in this phase of your life.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Does your DH have fishing rods hanging around gathering dust? Guns for hunting? car parts? sporting equipment?? Unless he has "none" of that and all his hobbies are going nonstop, tell him to butt out. LOL! Really, I'm laughing with you. I call myself a block collector. I have piles of envelopes with blocks in them from swaps I've played in here on the board. Thats ok...I had fun and someday I'll get to them. Don't worry about it...do what is fun for you today..it will change and you'll enjoy doing another part tomorrow. Don't add stress to your life, thats not what hobbies are for! You are allowed to do any part or all of it you want to do!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 AM

Breathe, breathe, breathe. Easier said than done. When I was much younger in my 30's there was a time that I would go into a room in the house and just sit there. After a while I thought "gee there is something wrong with me". So to the doctor I went and told him this; he informed me that life had gotten ahead of me and that my body was telling me that being alone and in thought (whether we know it or not we are in thought) we are mentally rearranging items that have taken control over our life. You need to quit punishing yourself for the word of others. You carry a full load and you need to have time for yourself. Get a little selfish with your time, relax, listen to music, watch only funny TV programs, learn to laugh even at yourself. You are worth all that you are. Celebrate You and the others will follow. God bless
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
You are going through a quilting burn out. It can happen with anything that you do. Just let your body tell you what to do and when to do it. Just do not take a negative attitude. If you want to quilt, you are a quilter.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 AM

I can definately relate to this, although i don't have children at home, i work full time and i have a dh who needs lot of attention, so i don't get much quilting done, by time i get home from work and fix dinner and clean up and do a few chores, i'm to tired to sew, but if i can even sew one strip to my quilt i've accomplished something, even if it takes me a year to finish it. So keep going you'll get rested and then you'll see even one block will make you feel like you accomplished alot. Don't ever give up. The q;uilter in you will find time when your ready.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 AM

Been there! Sometimes I am afraid of my own room because I'm afraid that I'll fail. Try English Paper Piecing. Small pieces, portable and huge returns! Also, when I'm feeling particularly down I try and do something in there that is mine and completely fun. I made a couple of pillows lately - folded star and used my new ruffler. Had fun and figured if I didn't like what came out - who cared and who knew!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:25 AM

You sound exactly like me! I have the makings for 3 quilts now and haven't done a thing with them. I just keep looking at the stuff and thinking, "Do I really want to tackle this today?". HELP!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Well, let me see. You have a full-time job; that's 8 hrs. per day; you drive an hour to work, which means you drive an hour back, you have to cook when you get home, unless you never eat. Sometime the housework, washing and ironing has to get done. You have a family to take care of. It makes me tired reading what you do. I say you're just tired. Maybe you can give small projects a try on the weekends or days when you don't have all that stuff going on. Take a nap once in a while. It's just like trying to lose weight. Sometimes you reach a plateau but you'll get back to it soon enough.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 AM

This is what I have done, taken a sick day, usually a rainy one, arranged ahead dinner in a crock pot. Put on some nice music
have your coffee pot going. And spend a day just for you sewing, arranging your room, going thru magizines, fabric,
and plan, make something you can complete. It will make your
day, and will feel much better. Sewing is my medicine for everything.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:01 AM

I think you need to give yourself a break. I find that my sewing is my therapy, but it isn't for everyone. Do what makes you feel good! ;)