Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My quilting vent >
  • My quilting vent

• My quilting vent

Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 AM

When I find myself frustrated with a difficult quilt... I find a panel that I love, some pretty cordinating fabrics, and simply border the panel. Nothing fancy, super easy, and always beautiful! Then, with your long arm (so jealous) you can HAVE FUN being creative and quilting the top. Then, you have a finished quilt that was easy and quick and beautiful... and a perfect donation or gift for someone!! :) Good luck!
    Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Take a deep breath and make something just for you. If you have a quilting friend, have her come over and sew with you - that way it is a social event and you are accomplishing a little bit each time. I know it is probably not much comfort, but you are lucky to have a longarm. THat has always been my dream. Hang in there.
    Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

These feelings come to all of us. Please take a walk with good thoughts on your mind or do something else you truly enjoy. It is always best to take a rest when something you are doing is not going well. I hope you do not give up such a rewarding hobby so soon. My best wishes to you.
    Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
    Quilting is just a pleasure craft for me, I really don't have any plans of trying to do this for a living....If you go to my blog and go to the archives starting in 2009...there is a few of my quilts....They may all look fine, but the trials and frustration that went into each and every quilt doesn't show.....thanks for listening......My Fiance' says I'm just having a moment, maybe he's right, then maybe not....The closest place to take classes is 1hr 30minutes away..... :-(
    Maybe you could just stop the piecing frustration (been there for sure) and concentrate on the long arm quilting. You could advertise and just do that for other, and get paid for it!! IF you enjoy that part, that is. Don't give it all up. You will be sorry, I'm sure. Walk away from it for a bit...perhaps while you garden or help with planting or feeding the crew! Keep your chin up and don't try being a perfectionist. We are rooting for you!
    Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM

I agree with the "take a break" suggestions. I too become very frustrated when my seams don't line up perfectly, but life isn't perfect and quilting mirrors life. I like the suggestion of paper piecing...a good way to relax and still keep your hands busy and productive with fabric. Redwork is also a possibility. your embroidered panels are the showcase of the quilt, instead of the blocks and their arrangement. If their are certain areas you want to improve, Make a list and one by one develop a plan to work on each one.
    Give youself some time to master those areas. You can do it!
    Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM

I know exactly what you are going through. I make something and when I look at it it just looks like a piece of junk. I guess I started too late in life!!! or maybe I am too critical!!!! Get real depressed about it!!!
    Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Oooh ahhhh! The quilting blues! Its so hard to be perfect! There has been so much good advice on this page, I hesitate to add anything. However, I really think you should not be so hard on yourself, and definitely not give up. You should see some of my cutting and sewing!! That would make you feel better! As long as there is love in every crooked stitch and wavy line, it DOESN'T MATTER! I do hope you decide to keep going, I'm sure your quilts are beautiful - how about posting a couple? I'd love to see them. She'll be right mate - you aren't alone!
    Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 PM

I think Jim's Gem advice is very good. Take a break from it and if you enjoyed quilting in the past, maybe you're just pushing yourself too much with the patterns you're choosing. An easy pattern made with some beautiful fabrics you love (maybe a small throw or wall hanging) might be just the thing for you, after you give it a rest for a little while. Then see what happens and decide then - maybe an artists paintbrush or something else might be better for you than quilting. But, I would encourage you to give it one more little try with something simple but with beautiful fabric and made just for you. Good luck!
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM

brenda, i just glanced at your blog. quilting IS a passion for you. remember, THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE! i have no idea how many quilts i have pieced and quilted...but i do know that EVERY project i have done has been a learning opportunity. count your blessings...and remember, TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY!
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM

When you get frustrated, make something easy or fun to make. I make lots of quilted tote bags and kids quilts. They probably all have mistakes in them somewhere. So what! I like them and it is relaxing to me. Please don't sell all your supplies, you will perk up before you know it. Good luck.