Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM

I have done most of these myself including cutting my hair that was to the middle of my thigh, sewing my hair into a project. I worked in factories and sewed my finger 6 1/2 times with the thread in me before I knew what happened. Factory machines are really fast. But the worst was my persian cat got his beautiful long hair tail caught in my bobbin winder on my factory machine at home. I was just sick!! I had to cut his fur to get him out. :(
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 AM

I have only read a few answers to this post, and have done most of the same mistakes as everyone else. Today, I decided to get creative and make my own. I got the flu shot on friday and was so sick all weekend, I stayed home today to recover. Two stories that will come together.

1. Are you always looking for the perfect pair of black pants? I have for years. I work in a lab that has a dress code. Why? beats me! The company has strict rules about visitors: None, period. Unless is a contractor or inspector, no one is allowed, but we have to look good anyways. I am not my ideal weight, so black is my thing to wear. My pants had a seam that look a little weak, so I must fix it.

2. I finished a queen size quilt: Butterfly Kisses by Nancy Davis. I decided to do a scalloped border, so when I squared it after quilting I had some leftover. I could only see narrow pieces of batting and backing that I could use for small walllhangers, so I started cutting away the parts that still had some parts of the quilt left.

Both sound good. Don't they? It did until I started seen some black pieces of fabric on the floor. I still continued cutting, thinking. I don't remember making anything with black lately. I must clean my room. God knows how long those black pieces have been there. I kept on cutting with my scissors, until they stop when hitting something hard. You guesses it,m my pants' zipper. They were under the batting and backing, and now are in 100 pieces on the floor.

I guess again, I need to find a perfect pair of black pants.

Maria
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I have only read a few answers to this post, and have done most of the same mistakes as everyone else. Today, I decided to get creative and make my own. I got the flu shot on friday and was so sick all weekend, I stayed home today to recover. Two stories that will come together.

1. Are you always looking for the perfect pair of black pants? I have for years. I work in a lab that has a dress code. Why? beats me! The company has strict rules about visitors: None, period. Unless is a contractor or inspector, no one is allowed, but we have to look good anyways. I am not my ideal weight, so black is my thing to wear. My pants had a seam that look a little weak, so I must fix it.

2. I finished a queen size quilt: Butterfly Kisses by Nancy Davis. I decided to do a scalloped border, so when I squared it after quilting I had some leftover. I could only see narrow pieces of batting and backing that I could use for small walllhangers, so I started cutting away the parts that still had some parts of the quilt left.

Both sound good. Don't they? It did until I started seen some black pieces of fabric on the floor. I still continued cutting, thinking. I don't remember making anything with black lately. I must clean my room. God knows how long those black pieces have been there. I kept on cutting with my scissors, until they stop when hitting something hard. You guesses it,m my pants' zipper. They were under the batting and backing, and now are in 100 pieces on the floor.

I guess again, I need to find a perfect pair of black pants.

Maria

OK Maride you made my Day,ROFLMAO, I don't feel so bad now. I can't help it that is so funny..
BillsBonBon
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM

This thread is still going strong! And just last night I went and did the same things some of you have mentioned.
Here I am, hurrying to get another animal block done for the Humane Society raffle quilt...I have my iron turned on, may fabric ready, my Wunder under cut and in place...and don't I go and fuse it to the right side (or in this case, wrong) of the fabric? Luckily there was still enough to do it correctly. So I went to the next piece and what do I do? fuse the Wunder Under to the iron! All I could think of was this thread!!! I was trying to remember all the hints for cleaning the iron, and I drew a complete blank. I turned off the iron ASAP, and grabbed the Goo Gone and a paper towel. I was so desperate to get it off, I burned my finger! Thank goodness the goo gone worked!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM

When my machine wasn't working I knew I had done something wrong (I know I am a smart person....) so I rethread it again..and again.....still nothing...Ohhh ...I replace the bobbin theread.....still nothing....
Then I really knew that thats it.......
It wasn't even making any sound....
I told my husband that we need to take the machine to the repair shop....
He was already packing it when he realize the paddle of the machine was actually on the table (behind the machine)....and he figure out I was pressing the paddle of the other machine....
(....he was right).... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ania755
When my machine wasn't working I knew I had done something wrong (I know I am a smart person....) so I rethread it again..and again.....still nothing...Ohhh ...I replace the bobbin theread.....still nothing....
Then I really knew that thats it.......
It wasn't even making any sound....
I told my husband that we need to take the machine to the repair shop....
He was already packing it when he realize the paddle of the machine was actually on the table (behind the machine)....and he figure out I was pressing the paddle of the other machine....
(....he was right).... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh ania -- I'm sorry but this is sew funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can just see MYSELF doing this! Good thing my machines are that close to each other, huh???? :lol: :lol:
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM

I haven't been on hardly any,just to much todo with My Mom. Any way thought all of you would like to here my last silly.
Making PJs for my 2 DD Their DHs. The 5 GrownGrndsons,3 have wives. 3 GrtGRNDs. A lot of JPs. Between taking care of all I have to do..I have been getting one to two done a day got one on the sewing machine and 3 cut out ready to sew. Got lost count already finished. So I am getting kinda brain mushy. Today is a Rainy Cloudy Day Here in SE GA. a perfect day for sewing. I am Rambleing Sorry.
Got a pair already cut, sewed the inseam first. Got both done. Then you sew the Crouch area together, SOOO I do exactly that sew each side to itself and don't realize what i had done untlll I pick them up and had 2 seperate legs with front,back,Crouch and waist all sewn on itself. That was 45 min. ago. I riped and pinned My DH Brought me my daily afternoon caffeine and now Here I am drinking coffee and LAMOROF at my self.
Gotta love life and its amusments God knew I needed to laugh at my self. BillsBonBon
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Well I still have to sew and cut at my kitchen table. So I have my old mat for fleece and my new bigger mat for cottons. I was cutting fleece on my smaller mat and put a nice straight line all the way across my new kitchen table. Holy Cow! Hubby was going to be mad! So I just laid my new bigger mat on top of it and it took weeks for him to finally see it. :oops:
I did nearly the same thing. Only it was about an inch of felt on my husband's billard table that got sliced with my rotary cutter. Never did confess.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 PM

I’m not sure how I missed this thread but it is hilarious, and sadly a bit too true. I’m glad I’m not the only one out there who has done silly things.

My dumbest mistake was when I was sewing. My awl had rolled off the table and so I was using a seam ripper to help guide the pieces through my machine. I’m not sure what went wrong but the seam ripper flipped up in the air and I tried to catch it with my hands. Instead of catching it, I drove it straight down into my leg with great force. The tip hit my leg bone but it could have been so much worse. Thank God it wasn’t the awl because that would have gone in a good 6-inches or so!!!! Since then my hubby tells me to just let things fall on the floor instead of trying to snatch them out of the air. It’s probably a good thing I don’t juggle.

Let’s see, I’ve gone to a quilt retreat and left all my cords and foot peddle for my machine at home – along with all my bedding and pillows. Ah well, who needs sleep anyway! :lol: I’ve sewn blocks together the wrong way, ripped them out, only to sew them the wrong way again. I’ve sewn my hair (which is long) into my blocks. Now I sew with my hair in a high ponytail. I’ve sewn through the heads of my flathead pins, many of which now have holes punched through them. I’m always amazed to find my needle doesn’t break when I do that and sadly, I’ve done it a few times. I think most of us have sewn 4 feet of fabric, only to discover the bobbin thread ran out 3 feet ago. I’ve finished a quilt only to realize I’ve put a block in upside down or in the wrong spot. Once it’s finished and the binding is on, any mistakes just have to stay that way. If anyone points it out I tell them it is artistic license. I’ve put 2 rotary blades in when changing out the blade. I only did it once and now I’m very careful to double check things when changing blades. I’ve continued to cut with my rotary cutter, not realizing I’ve run out of mat, and ended up cutting my table. I’ve spent hours searching for my darn thimble, only to find it on my finger. :roll:

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewed the clothes I was wearing to the project.
Yep, that’s one of my favorites. I’ll be sitting in a guild meeting or at a doctor’s office doing my applique. Then I stand up or try to put the block away only to discover it has been sewn into my shirt or pants. And it is never just a couple of stitches. It always seems to be inches and inches long.

Originally Posted by Eddie
When I was changing the blade on my rotary cutter, I was wiping the oil off of the blade with a paper towel and used too much pressure on it so that it slipped and sliced into the top of my thumb. I didn't think it would ever stop bleeding, after several band-aids. Who knew a major artery runs through our thumbs?
Oh honey, that’s terrible! When I first started quilting and attended my first ever quilt guild meeting, there was an elderly lady in her 80’s that had cut a good part of her thumb off with a rotary blade. I took one look at her bandaged hand and swore to always be careful with my rotary cutters. So far I’ve never gotten myself, at least not too badly, but I’ve shaved the edges off my rulers with that darn blade.

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Originally Posted by quiltease
I've done almost all that you have mentioned (minus the fray check, but I HAVE destroyed several machines in other ways), but one thing that hasn't been mentioned..I was ironing steam a seam to some appliques and...yup, the adhesive ironed onto the iron. It ruined the plate as I was never able to get most of it off. It now sits in the box of the new iron I had to buy. Oh and I was doing appliques and... damn, you think I'd learn.
I've done that too. Iron cleaner or sea salt will clean it off.
A used dryer sheet works great too!!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I am glad that this post has resurfaced LOL I am sure that in the sewing frenzy before Christmas, I will be adding another thing or two to it also LMBO