Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM

I took a class once and the teacher showed us some of her early work. We all ooh'd and ah'd over them and were so impressed and thinking like you. We thought we could never get that good. Then she told us to come close and inspect it while she pointed out all her errors. Wow. What an eye opener. She started out the same as the rest of us. Keep on heading for the finish line. You will be surprised at what a difference there is when the quilt is completed. Some of those minor mistakes will be forgotten. Even photos of quilts in the magazines have errors.

You'll improve. Just have fun. That's the real reason most of us quilt.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Hang in there I know you can do it. When you get it done you will be surprised at what you have done. I know I have been there and still think my work is not as good as everyone elses.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM

If it was costly, you really should try to finish. You will learn much by just being part of the group. I'm sure any real quilter will not make you feel bad, because we have all been there at one time. keep going
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. You are your own worse critic as the saying goes. You will not do it perfectly the first time and you WILL improve each time you do a block. :thumbup:
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
LMB

Every expert was once a beginner. Even if you learn just one thing... you will be one thing ahead. Good luck !
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Please do not compare yourself to others. We are all on the same road but at different levels. Please do not give up but start again and know that we are all there with you! We know that you can do it. Blessings to you and let us know how you are coming along with your blocks and quilt.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM

I remember my first quilt. It is hanging at the foot of my bed and I love looking at it to remind me how far I have come (and I'm still no expert). Please continue with your class and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM

All of the above, good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Don't ever talk yourself into being less that who you are. It's easier to throw in the towel, but the gratification is much greater when you get in the ring and fight.

You don't have to prove yourself to anyone else but you. You can do it, one stitch at a time. Go for it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Everyone quilts for a different reason. Are you in this BOM because you like the project, or you have a friend you are doing it with? Perhaps you have a purpose, to make a quilt for your bed, friend, daughter, etc. Still others do it to compete. If so, maybe you should invest in your own self, and ignore the reasons the others are doing it. Give that to yourself. Personally, I love the time alone with myself, creating. It's a break from my busy job, house, kids, dogs, and life. Good luck and let us know what you decide.