Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Ok. Glad to see some Texas answers on here. The biggest misconception I ran across was this.. ..When I moved to Washington State for a while, I had several people ask why you "DOn't Mess With Texas". And why we thougt we were so tough. I laughed. It is a litter slogan to keep us clean.
Some things are true in some parts of the state. I live where everyone is a cowboy and still raise cows and run ranches, they ride horses every day to gather cows etc, Just like on tv. So guess it's where in the state you live. It's nothing to pass hay trucks, horse trailors, etc. And I love to watch a cowboy walk away. ROFL. Those cute tight jeans and hats. Wahooooooooo. No one locks doors here and we come and go in each others houses. Love the country.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Someone wrote - "On the travel channel, they did a Chicago vs New York on pizza... and New York won. Why? Cause they used firefighters from LA who know nothing about pizza."

I second that LA knows nothing about pizza. My son lives outside of LA and served us Pizza Hut pizza. Told him he's a disgrace to his Italian, Brooklyn and New Jersey heritages. His excuse is that his area was built 20 years ago and no old pizza shops in the area, just the fast food ones. Still no excuse for eating Pizza Hut or any of the other fast food pizzas.

DH and I are originally from Brooklyn, one of NYCity's 5 boros and one that has about 4 million people living in it, so we grew up with lots of pizza stores/parlors in our area. Some pizza places do make a thick crust pizza called Sicilian pizza but thin crust is the most popular and tasty. I try all types of pizza but a large plain pizza is what we order most of the time and I don't fold my pizza slice in half, I like to savor every bite. May in Jersey

PS. Have to say we do enjoy the pastrami sandwiches at The Hat and the burgers at In and Out Burgers when we visit our son in CA. Have no opinion about Chicago pizza because I need to eat it in Chicago to make up my mind, hopefully we'll be taking a trip there soon.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM

[quote=debbieumphress]Ok. Glad to see some Texas answers

It's nothing to pass hay trucks, horse trailors, etc. And I love to watch a cowboy walk away. ROFL. Those cute tight jeans and hats. Wahooooooooo. No one locks doors here and we come and go in each others houses. Love the country.

I have to ditto this here for SD. And wanted to include Brandings, is something you just help your neighbor with and vice versa, it's nothing to attend many in the months of May and June.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I'm from Long Island, Not LONG GUYLAND!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM

:lol:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Someone wrote - "On the travel channel, they did a Chicago vs New York on pizza... and New York won. Why? Cause they used firefighters from LA who know nothing about pizza."

I second that LA knows nothing about pizza. My son lives outside of LA and served us Pizza Hut pizza. Told him he's a disgrace to his Italian, Brooklyn and New Jersey heritages. His excuse is that his area was built 20 years ago and no old pizza shops in the area, just the fast food ones. Still no excuse for eating Pizza Hut or any of the other fast food pizzas.

DH and I are originally from Brooklyn, one of NYCity's 5 boros and one that has about 4 million people living in it, so we grew up with lots of pizza stores/parlors in our area. Some pizza places do make a thick crust pizza called Sicilian pizza but thin crust is the most popular and tasty. I try all types of pizza but a large plain pizza is what we order most of the time and I don't fold my pizza slice in half, I like to savor every bite. May in Jersey

PS. Have to say we do enjoy the pastrami sandwiches at The Hat and the burgers at In and Out Burgers when we visit our son in CA. Have no opinion about Chicago pizza because I need to eat it in Chicago to make up my mind, hopefully we'll be taking a trip there soon.
Exactly! I think everyone has their own opinions on pizza... but L.A. ended up Lost in Translation. You know you have a problem when you see (ex. not a real place cause I can't remember the actual name of the place) Wongs Pizza, Wongs TAcos, Wongs Egg Roll... When my family and I went to my Uncles wedding in LA those are the places we saw, under a different name though.

And I'm positive there are good pizza places in New York... I've never been there, so I couldn't say!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
It is true though if there is a disaster the news crew is certain to find a toothless, bedraggled and generally pitiful specimin of humanity to represent us. Does that happen in your state?
After reading a few pages in this topic, I realize this must happen in most states. I thought it was just the south since everyone thinks we're all barefoot hayseeds down here. (we usually wear flip-flops/sandals because of the heat.)

We are very friendly, we wave at unknown cars passing by as we mow the grass.
And say "Hey, How are ya?" to those we know out in public and "Hello" to everyone else. We know our manners!
A lot of us still know the old crafts/cooking of our grandparents and enjoy it.
We don't like "transplants" moving in, telling us we should do things the way they're done in the place they came from. We say, If you don't like it, move back.
The pet peeve around here: Chattanooga is pronounced Chatta-nooga not Chatt-nooga, don't leave out the a, we use that. :)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

This is turning from a fun thread into a judgemental thread. Too bad!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 AM

I will never forget about 22 years ago Dh had to go to New York for a drug trial cause the guy had connections to Texas & he & the sheriff had to take a witness. When he said NY I nearly freaked because I was thinking of New York City. (crime & viloence) Ya'll don't get mad. TV does that. Well he went to a small town called Owego. Had to fly to Sycrause & get a rental car. It was amasing the pictures he brought back. It was in the fall & pumpkin time. I discovered a whole new New York that I didn't know exzited other then Niagria Falls. Got an amazing cookbook there too. So you can't judge a state by its most famous city. Have a neighbor that has lived here about 45 years & still has her Wisconsin accent with a southern draw.
About the pizza thing- I love a good thick crust Chicago style pizza but also like the thin crust too. You know us Texans will eat anything. But I will not eat Mountain oysters. I gag at the thought. Want a good allergy attack, get behind the hay truck going down the road. One thing about it we are all different & the same. Thats what makes us all Americans.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

In Iowa the seasons are easy to tell here in Southeast Iowa! Winter just follow the snow plows to get through. In spring hold your nose from the anhydrous they spread on the fields! Stinks to high heaven and can burn the eyes! Keep your windows closed!! Summer creep along behind the tractors on the roads. Fall you follow the Pickers and huge Combines going down the road. Course I live in farming country!! And we are in the tornado belt. Keeps us on our toes! LOL